Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

B Rizzini or Guerini as mentioned by others.

Originally Posted By: Chasseur d'ours
A buddy of mine has the following question:

"Oh, yes, a vintage long tang Superpose would be great. Budget: as of today about $1500 USD and by summer I’ll be up over 2000.

As has been pointed out, a long tang Superposed would not have the Schnabel forend, but would be a fine choice and there are some good bargains in the 12 gauges in Supers. $1500 to $2000 gets you into a pretty good 12 gauge Super in Good to VG condition. Value-wise that would be my choice.

If he looks around he can find either a used 686 Beretta Silver Pigeon I or a new/used Browning Citori White Lightning with Schnabel forends and POW grips in that price range.

What exactly is he going to be using this for? That would greatly impact the choice of gun if it is more for Skeet/Trap or SC's or Upland Hunting or a combination of these.

Good luck finding something.

KB

Sidelock
Sidelock

The mission/use for this gun will help members focus the recommendations.

If it's going to be waterfowl and clay games, a 12g (I assumed that was the gauge being considered) Superposed would be a nice gun. But for upland hunting, all the 12g Supers except the Superlight and maybe a short Lightning, would be heavier than I'd want to carry. The Superlight guns would likely be over the budget by a considerable amount.

If this is an "all 'round gun" to do it all and it has to be 12g, I'd find a gun around 7 lbs, 28" bbls, screw-in chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Under $2K new with that combination of features, you'll probably be limited to Turkish guns (Huglu, DeHaan, CZ, Armsco, etc.)

Used, still tough to find POW/Round Knob with Schnable and 30" barrels at that price. Browning Feather or Feather XS has 30" w/ Schnable, but full PG, around $1500. Sig SA5 has round knob w/ Schnable, but 28" barrels, also around $1500. There may still be some FAIR Rizzinis around with the specs you want. Best bet may be a Citori that needs to have the wood refinished, and reshape the grip as part of that refinish. Should come in well under $2K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Teachers in most places have aides to grade papers, do not supervise recess, put in about 6 "hard" hours a day and work 9 months a year. The only things they "pay for out of their own pockets" are special items they want to get for a special project, of their own choosing. Every teacher had around 40 students when I went to school, graded their own tests, monitored recess and really did put in more than 40 hrs. Male teachers usually were also coaches or the principal, maybe all three. And they truly WERE underpaid.
You've been reading too much crap from the NEA.
I don't know where you live, but none of what you said is true in California and not likely in Hawaii, either. Sure as heck not in NY, either.
Is there a real shortage of people training to be teachers? Anywhere? Anyone?, Anyone? Wonder why not?

Last edited by Jim Legg; 12/22/06 11:23 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi guys. Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think he meant to spark a word war on the salaries of teachers, but I can tell you he doesn't make a ton of money teaching. But this thread is not about that.

To answer a few questions:

(1) I think he means a round knob, or what the French would call a "demi-pistol" grip rather than the "English POW" grip.

(2) He intends to use the gun about 60/40 hunting and then a casual clays (trap and skeet) gun.

(3) I'll check what he means for the foreend, that sounded odd to me as well.

Thanks again!

Don't know what planet you live on Mr. Legg or where you matriculated, but you're obviously not an expert in the economic realities of today's education system. I know for fact that you'd find disagreement in virtually every area of the U.S. with everything you've said about a teacher's work day and their levels of remuneration.

The truth is many teachers (probably most), especially in the elementary levels DO NOT have aides, DO supervise recess AND DO have responsibility for bus duty...and yes many DO spend money from their paychecks for class room supplies too. Even the IRS recognizes that as fact.

If you think most work 6 hour days, then you must have failed math. Get to school at 7am and attend a 1 hr. meeting with Administrative and grade level staff at least 3 days a week if you work in a competitive school system. Take 15 minutes for yourself before students arrive at 8:15. For the noon lunch break...go to another meeting...want lunch...better brown bag it. At 3:30 take 30 minutes to work on the next days materials or call a parent, or meet with a special ed. teacher about one or more of your student. Then hurry off to another Administrative or special events meeting at 4pm. At 5pm go back to your classroom and work for an hour or so before calling it a day and driving the commute home. When you get home, don't forget to grade papers for a while EVERY night. Adds up to more like a 10-12 hr. day doesn't it? But you can take Saturday off to do your own chores. Just remember to go back to school on Sunday (most every Sunday) and put in a few more hours of prep time for the coming week. And remember you can't extend the weekend by taking a Friday or Monday off as "personal time" without getting docked a days pay...so don't plan to take a vacation or family trip during the holiday season if you can't get back at least two days early ... just like being stuck in Denver right now.

As for a 9 month school year with 3 months off, that's BS too. The days of the agricultural school year are long gone. School starts in mid August(don't forget to get your classroom set up) and ends in mid June. Teachers are required to keep up their certification by taking courses during the summer. And any good teacher will enroll in continuing education to get more specialized in what they do for your kids ... so keep cutting that summer break down to size. If you're lucky you'll squeak out 3 weeks to do what you want, but not always consequetive weeks.

The teachers who really get the shaft are the untenured "teaching assistants" at the junior college level. No job security, no health benefits and many have to work more than one school to make ends meet...that's fact and truth in the Chicago market!

I seriously doubt you'll find agreement with your ideas about teaching in either city or suburbs of L.A., Chicago, New York or any area of population. As for no shortages of teachers, bet you'll also find more leaving early due to burn out than you had in the good old days of "little house on the prairie" in Utah.

Bottom line - don't bad mouth or make fun of teachers...you just might learn something.

BTW - to the original post...buy a Guerini even if you have to save a bit longer to get the funds. As a teacher, you'll have earned it.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

A simple search of the internet reveals that the average schoolteacher salary for 2004 in Hawaii was $49K. Here in Michigan, $54K. Seems like enough budget for a nice doublegun. Perhaps we should be thankful there is at least one teacher who still shoots and hunts. Especially in Hawaii.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble

If he can stand a used gun - I bought a 12 ga Beretta BL-4 a year or two ago for less than $1000. It weighs 7lb, has 30" bbls, and is hand engraved with ejectors, SST, SPG. No schnabel, no choke tubes. Balances 5.5" ahead of the trigger.

Not for sale btw.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Sharpsrifle,
First of all, you are either a a union rep for the NEA, or have swallowed the nonsense frequently spewed out in the newspapers or on TV. Most of what you have written is NOT true in any of the major cities or even in major states. Certainly not true in Chicago!
Also not true is that I was "bad mouthing or making fun of teachers". I didn't even say they were OVERpaid. I said they are not UNDERpaid. I also did not go to school in Utah. I went to school in Chicago in the 40's and had no interest or knowledge of teacher's pay in Chicago at that time. I went to school in Western KY from 45 through 1953 and do know that teachers there were underpaid, at that time. Underpaid teachers, relative to general wages where they live, are pretty much a myth perpetuated by teacher's unions and the press. The myth continues unchallenged because most people are ignorant of the facts in 2006 and wouldn't dare question the stories because it's a sacred cow topic: all nurses are stressed out and all teachers are underpaid. What I've stated is not "my ideas", they are facts. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 12/23/06 06:35 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.