March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I picked up a Model 37 recently. Serial #4309xx, which I believe to be a 1951 vintage. It came with a smoothbore slug barrel on it, matching the same serial. Looking at the only information I have on the subject, Standard Catalog of Firearms, the "Deerslayer" option was not available until 1959. This barrel is not marked "Deerslayer" and I don't know if any were marked as such. I'm wondering if anyone here knows more on the subject. Was this option available earlier but not named at that time? Could the gun have been sent back to the factory for a slug barrel once the barrel was introduced, and they added the matching serial? Tough to tell after all these years, but the barrel seems to show equal wear and age as the gun itself.....

Thanks,
Jim
If it makes a difference, this is a 16b.

Last edited by JimfromTrafalgar; 10/22/09 09:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A factory retro it. Ithaca advertise for fitting a Deerslayer barrel to your bird gun after the 1959 Deerslayer intro.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Walt.Now I'm thinking it would be nice to find the original barrel...
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

As an aside these are great slug guns. I had 4 one shot kills on bucks with my Ithaca DSPS when I lived in Illinois. It would shoot 4 inch groups at 50 yards which was acceptable for the short range deer hunting there.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm experiencing similar, if not a bit better, results so far. I'm going down to the farm this weekend to see if I can tune it in at around 100 yds.I think it will do well at that range, just don't know how well I'll do with open sights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your deer barrel should be grooved on the rear sight base for scope mounts, at least the later ones were. I think 2 inch groups at 50 yards is not uncommon.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 10/22/09 05:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Your deer barrel should be grooved on the rear sight base for scope mounts, at least the later ones were.

I believe you are correct. Mine was an earlier one so I installed one of the "saddle mounts" on it with a good quality 1.5 X 4 scope. The only thing I didn't like about this gun was shooting it. Thankfully afer the first year I would just fire two check out shots before the season started and one additional shot while actually hunting. I doubt if I fired a whole box of shells in this gun in all the time I owned it.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

They do recoil. I well remember shooting 5 slugs from an 20 gauge Ultralite, checkered butt. IT WAS FROM A BENCH. I think it compressed my spine and pushed my toes into the ground. I couldn't pull the trigger on the 6th round. A good modern recoil pad helps a whole bunch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is off topic, but Jim, are you a member of Shotgunworld with a handle of the same sort? There is a fella over there with that same sign on name and I haven't seen him in a while. If it's you, where you been buddy?

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If this is directed at me yes I was a frequent poster there at one time. I got tired of continuously answering the same questions like "What's my bolt action Mossberg shotgun worth?" that I just quit posting.
Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.