April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (canvasback, ClapperZapper, Hammergun, Argo44, 2 invisible), 389 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

So my Black Diamond should be worth what, half or less than this one? Well a guy can try can't he? Heh heh.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd guess you supposition is right, but I've not found information to prove it. When I met with Frank's grandson years ago, he told of his Grandfather giving him boxes of old company corresondance when he was a child during the Depression and that he then took the stamps off the envelopes for his stamp collection and threw the remains in the fire!!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sold a wonderful Black Diamond 12, with the usual 30" Full/Full tubes, for $500 a couple seasons ago. Needed a shim on the hook, via Mike Orlen, result of too many firings with modern ammunition, I suspect. The finish on the gun was outstanding, however.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I know you're a 'Tobinite.'
That's why I asked the hypothetical 'just for fun' question.
So what would your 'buy it now price' be for that gun? I didn't
quite understand your first answer.

I wish there were more of them around. They are very graceful
looking guns.
-Jim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It would be a lot less than $7500. Did you see the photo of Frank's very own gun up there? THAT ONE didn't cost $7500.
A $7500 Parker or Lefever is a pretty nice gun, and you would stand a chance of being able to sell it some day-there ain't enough copies of me to buy the limited amount of good Tobins out there, even at this late date.

Jim, they aren't really graceful-take a good, hard, look at that squared off bottom of the frame and think about carrying a heavy 12 like that for a day. I wear gloves with my 6lb, 4oz 16, even when it is warm out. Just about any other American design makes them look antiquated, which, I believe they are, but, I like them anyway.

I have the only one on my block. I might have the only 16 in my state, hell, for 5 states, but, nobody will be beating a path to my door to worship the thing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot of fake Tobins out there. The first question any collector must ask himself when considering a purchase is "Tobin or not Tobin?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Put down the glass pipe, and back slowly away from the CRT, keeping your hands where we can see them.....
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher, Thanks for the info and pics of an obscure American/Canadian double. The reason I asked about lower grade Tobin's is that I'm about 99% certain I saw one in fair condition at a gun show several years ago at a very reasonable price. As I did not recognize the name, I assumed it was merely some Crescent variant or other cheap hardware store type gun Of course, I didn't buy it. Add another to my list of bonehead moves and guns that give me non-buyers remorse. I almost always bring a Blue Book or Standard Catalog to gun shows for a price reference, but unfortunately, they don't list every gun made. It's odd that they list D.M. Lefever guns with a total production of less than 1200, for example, and don't mention the Tobin with almost 10 times as many made. I'll have to go through my old DGJ's and see if I have the issues with your articles.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re: "serial numbers into the low 19,xxx range".
The Canadian made "Tobin" goes to at least serial number 19481. I bought it autumn 2008 in Woodstock Ontario. The former owner had replaced the original buttstock with a nicely crafted and checkered English hand/straight grip stock. My 19481 was undoubtedly assembled by C.G. Crandall in Woodstock, most likely in his latter gunsmithing days.
Wildcat Cartridges - by Richard F. Simmons 1947 - pages 89 and 90, has an article on C.B. Crandall, his ".303-B .22 Varmint-R" cartridge, and HIS PICTURE.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a Tobin in the Wheeling WV Cabelas store tow or three years ago. It had a store/private brand name Worthington on it. Only one I have seen with that name on it. It was a Tobin under another name. The bottom is so flat with such sharp corners that it is not very pleasant to hold and carry. At $600.00 I thought it was no great bargain at the time and I still would pass on it for that money.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.