May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (mark, Jimmy W, MattH, Ken Georgi, 2 invisible), 870 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,950
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Bill Kemper @ Deep River stocks the Poli's

GF1 #163581 10/09/09 06:23 PM
zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took the plunge and based on the generally strong endorsement of the Poli, I have an Opal sporter coming next week - at least for inspection. As far as I can tell, it is one of the few - if not the only - sxs that was designed for clay targets. I have looked seriously at the RBLs and have visited the factory twice - coming very close to buying a 12 g that had been produced without an owner at the time of my visit. It is a very nice gun but my impression was that it didn’t have a lot of “life” moving it in the gun room. Certainly that can be deceiving, so I also tried one at the Vintagers event last month with the same general feeling. So, pending inspection next week, I will likely be shooting a Poli at clays along with my SO4. My only concern is the double triggers this particular gun has. I shoot double triggers on my Parker and Arrizabalaga but I have never used either for any “serious” clay shooting. Other than that, the gun sounds & looks very nice.
Thanks for all of the help
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

zwego,

I think you will move between the two guns without a problem. Have not seen a Poli Sporting with double triggers but have a 20 ga on order. Any chance you can post a picture or two.

Have fun.

tim

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting comment about "life". I'm assuming Z means quickness of swing was low? To Rocketman, that would be a high MOI.

My observation/assumption of a lot of SC shooters is that they buy the long barreled guns to get a high MOI/slower swinging/more stable swinging gun. That's one of the bigger reasons I have some long barreled SC guns.

Granted, too much MOI is something I avoid as well. I sold a 32" 8 1/4 lb Win 101 that I couldn't get going quickly enough, often enough on some shots. I replaced it with a 32" 7 3/4 lb Beretta 682 Sporting that has much lighter barrels.

zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The handling of the RBL is different from my SO4 (my point of comparison since it is my primary SC gun) and I would guess that the RBL does likely have a higher Moment of Inertia (MOI) for the same weight. I believe this is because the RBL has the weight distributed out into the barrels versus my SO4 (thinner & more refined barrels vs. the RBL). The guns weight about the same - SO4 a little less than 8 lbs and the RBL that I looked at was a bit over 8 lbs. Based on other threads here, this weight is not uncommon for the 12 gauge RBLs with some going well over 9 lbs. Although I plan to shoot the Poli at targets predominately, if not exclusively, I am not particularly recoil sensitive and the Poli is about 7#-10 oz. Based on some posts here, I think this gun should be more lively than the RBL which is both good and bad. Good in that it moves to the target quicker but bad if it gets off line with poor technique. However, I think at this weight it should not be too much of a problem. Assuming that I find the gun acceptable next week, I will try to post some pictures and follow up comments.
Thanks
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been shooting a Poli hammer gun at sporting clays lately. The gun came with extra full and IC. Seminole opened the left bbl to LM. The gun is accurate. I shoot it almost as well as my K80. The difference may be accounted for by the triggers. The K80 is 4lbs and 4lbs, The Poli is 2 ounces and 7lbs.

Anybody know of a good side lock man in Florida ?

danc AA 3punches SV

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

zwego,

I think that you'll be very happy with the Poli. Is it coming with 30" or 32" barrels?
My observations regarding the 12 ga. RBL are similar to yours. In a separate post I mentioned that, to me, they felt "clubby". Generally heavy feeling and non-responsive. Quite different than their 20Ga. and 28GA., which I find lively.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.