March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't care much for auctions with a hidden reserve. What they are usually hiding is a price that only a hydrocephalic chimp would pay. Not always, but at least 95% of the time. The only thing worse is the auctions with a ridiculous opening bid that won't allow you to bid 1 or 2 cents to send the seller the message, "Thanks for wasting my time [censored]!" ***************************************************************** Added note after submitting original post... Wow, I did not realize there was a feature that automatically censors mild profanity. FYI, the censored word was another version of "rectum".

Last edited by keith; 10/03/09 12:55 AM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GAME, THEN DON'T PLAY!

Last edited by ed good; 10/03/09 10:16 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have searched the auction sites for quit a while now and have come to be more accepting of reserve auctions. They are still a bit cooling, but if the information about the gun is given and I want it for a price, I just bid the price I am willing to pay and see if I make reserve. Usually I don't, but that's cause I have too many guns now and I'm cheap. I will admit that I regularly pass on reserve auctions if I have to e-mail for info on the gun, its just too much of a hassle and I figure if the guy is not going to go to much effort to describe a gun he has a reserve price on then he and I aren't going to reach a meeting of the minds. It is a bit like the fellow who starts his guns description with: "excellant condition" then throws in "I am not really a gun guy". I want to know upfront about function,dents, cracks, barrel length, chokes, lop, dac, dah, bore condition and weight. Then I want pictures that comfirm condition. I really dislike when the pics are poor or nonexistant! That is dumb. I really enjoy searching through the auctions, but wish those over priced poorly photograghed offerings could be weeded out somehow. Occasionally something entertaining comes along like a Prussian Daly with no reserve and a starting bid of $100 and good pictures of a great gun.!

#162945 10/03/09 05:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

ben-t is 100% right on! may i add that as ed1 i have been buying and selling guns and related items on gunbroker since 2001.

from a buyers perspective, honest, complete descriptions including the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of an item are essential. many bright pictures are also essential. most important is lots of positive feedback postings for the seller. all of this builds confidence. with these three factors in mind, i bid accordingly. most of the items i buy are for resale, so i am looking to pay a fair retail price, but with enough room to resell the item at a small, reasonable profit. there are few bargains on gunbroker, as most experienced sellers there are very knowledgeable of what they sell and current retail values.

from a sellers perspective, the reserve auction process provides me with the knowledge and time i need to adequately market an item via multiple retail outlets. often, i do not know the current fair market value of an item. the reserve auction process often provides that knowledge. this is very important to my consignment customers, so that they know that i am doing the best job for them that i can. when the item is sold, they know it is for a fair and current retail price... if you are a low life, scum bag bargain hunter, looking for something for nothing, then reserve auctions are not for you. so do not waste your time on gunbroker. your activity, like flies at a picnic only draws more undesirables of your kind. on the the other hand, if you are a knowledgeable firearms collector or shooter who is looking for fine guns at fair retail prices; and you have the courage to take a risk and make a commitment, then the reserve auction process can be a very pleasant shopping experience.

the number and variety of fine guns for sale at fair retail prices on gunbroker is a wonder! there is no other place like it any where else in the world!

Last edited by ed good; 10/03/09 05:35 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I understand your desire to not sell the gun for drasticly less than it's worth but the reserve does not stimulate bidding"

It's a fact, proven by stats, that reserves do help stimulate bidding. Just look at the glorious Ebay - they would hardly promote reserves if it didn't.

I'm not saying I like reserves...but they are a fact of life.

Most of all, you guys are confusing an honest reserve, which would reflect the low end of a gun's value, with a BS reserve, used to prevent all but the dumbest from bidding.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone that believes that reserves stimulate bidding needs to go to gunbroker... shotguns.... double barrel... side by side... highest number of bids first, You'll see that the non reserve auctions always have the most bids.

If I list a gun and it doesn't get 1,000 looks in 14 days, I feel like it must be a loser.

It costs .50 to put in the number of looks option on the auction. You guys that list with a reseve put it on your next auction, I'll buy you lunch if you get 1,000 looks. You can't sell a gun to someone who doesn't look at it.

If 1,000 people look at my gun and it brings less than I thought it should, I was wrong about the value. Period.

I hate that Gunsamerica shot their feet off. They were a good site for folks who want a specific price for a gun and are not satisfied with what the market will bear.

I have hardly listed any guns lately because they simply aren't bring what they were a while back. I can sit on them and leave them in the safe. If I start to need money, I'll sell them for what the market will bear.

If I decide to "troll" with a gun, I'll put the starting price on it I want and leave it on till it sells or I get bored.

Personally, I'd like to see gunbroker charge for everytime a gun is listed. That would clear the junk that's been listed 40 times of the site and make it more viable. The reason they don't is that having all the listings makes them the 3rd largest auction site on the internet behind ebay and ebaymotors.

Dick

By the way, Ed, thanks for not typing in caps, It makes me think you're shouting.

Last edited by Dick Jones otp; 10/03/09 08:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course guns without reserve have the most bids. If a $5000 gun is listed at $1.00 start then it will get tons of bids compared to the same gun listed at $4,000 start. So what? We all know that the gun won't sell for $25.00 regardless. Even if there is no reserve listed you may rest assured the seller has his Uncle Joe poised to drop a $4,000 bid if no one else does.

At least the guy who lists a gun with a reserve is being up front about it.

Again, a reserve is a perfectly ethical and proper thing if it's used properly.

If I offered a $10,000 gun but also used a $2,00 reserve would you complain? Of course not. What you are complaining about is the guy who lists a $3,000 gun with a $5,000 reserve.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
If I offered a $10,000 gun but also used a $2,00 reserve would you complain? Of course not. What you are complaining about is the guy who lists a $3,000 gun with a $5,000 reserve.

I don't think Dick has any problem with a reserve - just with an undisclosed reserve.

I agree with Dick in that I never bid on a gun with an undisclosed reserve. If the reserve is disclosed then I know whether it's worth bidding or a waste of my time and I'll look elsewhere. My time is too valuable to piss it away bidding on a $3,000 gun with a $5,000 reserve.

List your gun with an undisclosed reserve and rest assured that I will not bid on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best way to uncover a reserve is to place a bid....if your bid doesn't make the cut then you can walk away satisfied. It costs very little in terms of time or money to place a bid.

If your time is too valuable to bid on a $3000 gun with an undisclosed $5000 reserve it just tells me you are not a serious buyer.

Think of all the years before the internet guys traveled to gun shows (some still do) in hopes of finding a righteous gun. That took dedication. Clicking a few icons is a cakewalk.

Again, your issue is with Sh**Head sellers who abuse a reserve, undisclosed or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why are we talking about this? It is what it is.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.