March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (cable, craigd, battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161555 09/20/09 03:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The following is a message I received from Ben's wife re. his stroke ;

"This is extremely differcult to write. After his return from UVA, Ben was evaluated by the physicians who had attended him initially. They determined that he would never get any better. Meaning that he would be awake very little of the day and virtually not responsive to much. He would not be a candidate for rehabilitation. He would have good and bad days. One of the "very bad" days occured not too long ago. His temperture spiked at 103.3 and it took 10 hours with Tylenol and a cooling blanket to get it down to 100.

One of our options was hospice and we decided to go that route as Ben would not want to continue in his courrent state. I will let you know when he is gone. Thanks again for all your support."

Biddie

As a life long friend of Ben's, I'm heartbroken at the change of events. I would like all to have known him as I did but can onlytell you he was a big hearted guy who when asked, would do anything for you. Prayers for Ben and Miss Biddie would be appreciated.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Ken Hurst #161556 09/20/09 04:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad news, thank you Ken....he will be in our prayers.....

Doug

PA24 #161560 09/20/09 05:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend Ben is a fellow I've never met face-to-face, but I will always count him among my closest and best friends ever. Ken, I'll be forever grateful to you for introducing me to Ben, you both have had a profound influence upon my aesthetic appreciation as well as my own puny scrimshanding efforts.

As a direct result of his unselfish generosity Ben and I exchanged books, parts & tools many times and I'd like to think that he enjoyed the work I was able to do for him. I know for a fact that Ben has helped many, many shooters with his informed advice as well as any needed parts & contacts. The Golden Rule has been Ben's watchword and we've talked many times about life's big circle and paying favors forward. Ben doesn't suffer fools gladly and has sometimes irritated folks with his shorthand version of typing his messages but in my book he's tops, and always will be. I once said that Ben was a man to ride the river with, and I'll always regret that we never got that chance.

Like Will Rogers once said, 'when I die I want to go wherever dogs go', and I'd like to think that I'll meet Ben there.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
J.D.Steele #161568 09/20/09 06:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will second Joe and Ken's statement And only add that once you was a friend of Ben's It was for life. And I will always cherish my friendship with Ben. Because it was a true friendship. That no matter what.You could count on it. He Is a Hell of a MAN. Whitey

whitey #161575 09/20/09 09:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only had one opportunity to meet Ben face to face, but like many of you have had a long relationship with him via internet and telephone. His presence is missed already, but let's not write him off just yet... this is the guy who turned a tractor over on himself and walked away, after all. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Froggie

It ain't easy being green!
Green Frog #161581 09/20/09 10:29 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Ken,

I'm saddened to read this latest post on Bens condition. Everything Joe said I couldn't have said better, that describes my friend Ben. Ben is always interesting to talk with, he told me once he likes to talk to people in different areas and with different backgrounds so that he can vicariously experience what they do, and know some of what they know. He told me now way, nohow, no time will he ever sit through a 3 day blizzard at 20 below zero and 60 mph winds, where ice forms on the inside of the walls on the windward side of the house, but he really enjoys it when I do and he can call me and hear about it. He would call from his computer, pull up google earth and the weather sattelite and watch it while he asked me about what things were like here.

He always likes to send pictures of his shop, his latest rifle, the pond, the tractor, the christmas decorations, and what else is going on in his world to share. Or tell how he treated himself to a turtle on the pond with the .219 zipper today. Or how the snooty lady came around collecting for some worthless cause, he was outside working on the yard, and he told her the folks are gone for the winter, better catch them when they come back in the spring. Or tell how everyone wants to buy the turtle shell or bullshit grinder on his desk instead of the rifle that is laid on the desk to take the picture.

My prayers are with him and Biddie.

dave

ssdave #161600 09/21/09 08:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only knew the man from this group but I know he was important to many of you. Having had my dad and a good friend both in hospice earlier this year my thoughts go out to his family that he's at peace soon.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Recoil Rob #161754 09/22/09 11:57 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also have shared in Ben's Generosity and phone calls...not enough of either.

I am coming in the back door on this, what happened to Ben?

Last edited by The Double D; 09/22/09 01:57 PM.
The Double D #161790 09/22/09 04:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

About five weeks past Ben had a stroke & was hospitalized. While in ICU, he had a few more strokes which sent him to UVA for advanced treatment. The Doc's decided there was nothing else to do that could help him recover sooooo, the family decided the doc's advice of a hospice until ................

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Ken Hurst #161855 09/23/09 09:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.