April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (LeFusil), 464 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could never quite figure the "Value" of a vent rib on a field gun. Just a place to gather debris & moisture should you get caught in a rain etc. I think the addition of the V-rib would be my cut-off point for buying a model B, unless it was Extremely cheap, as in paying me to take it.

As Larry said the earlier B's were better guns, all they really needed was a little more atention to detail, rather than adding Freu-Frau. Even so an early B with slim forend, two triggers & extractors is not a bad field gun & as I recall they all did have walnut stocks, even if rather plain wood.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Question: I know when 'classic' is mentioned one thinks of Parker, Smith, Fox etc. but do you consider the 311 a classic.

One of the dictionary definitions is ; 'enduring'. That it certainly is, 50 odd years in production and alot still being used and I've heard many say they hunt their old 311 once in a while for nostalgia and tradition because it had been handed down in the family.

I personally believe it is the 'working man's classic'.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

This an aging hooker, actaully a Steven 5000.

I'm not sure if the upgrades were done at the factory or not,I imagine the cyanide colors are original but the wood, BT forend, Redhead pad and twin ivories?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, who says make-up won't improve the view??? That is a great looking stock!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't knock the early Model B's. I have the first year's production 20 ga. with slim splinter forend, cut checkering, very nice but plain walnut woderfully finished, double triggers and NO VENT RIB. They really ruined this gun in later years as they started adding clubby, Browining style beavertail forends, vent ribs held on with phillips screws, single triggers. Mine Model B weighs 6 lbs. 7 oz. and handles worlds better than the later junk coming out of Westfield. Wish I knew how to post photos of it. And yes, the Stevens guns built before the 60's were pretty nice, too. Chopperlump.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's some of my late 40s 5100 16. Either the previous owner was very talented or he spent 2-3 times what the gun is worth to have it done. I could only find one checkering overun about 1/16".

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=134
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=135
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=137
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=138

Last edited by Patriot USA; 09/18/09 04:54 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Chopper on the earliest Model Bs--not a Fox by any means but a solid, well enough finished gun that worked. I had a 28" 16 that served me well for some years. Wood was even pretty nice; coarse checkering that did what checkering is supposed to do (That is not PRIMARILY to look good....).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Rob, who says make-up won't improve the view??? That is a great looking stock!...Geo

Looks good on the butt George but the grain flow through the wrist isn't great and the checkering is awful. I have thought of having the butt grafted onto another stock some day....

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot Dad's 311 12 gauge on my first dove shoot of the year and borrowed Grandpa's 20 gauge for the second. Both still served the intended purpose very well.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

A gal on my trap league had a 16 gauge 311 her father bought for her back in the day (she is an older gal). It hasn't had exactly perfect maintenance over the years, actually no maintenance would be closer to the truth, but, she has used it every season for league, followed by a healthy schedule of duck and pheasant hunting with her brothers in both South and North Dakota. She shot a deer with it, one year, but says sitting on her butt isn't hunting she enjoys.
It was far from new when she got it, about 1960, she thinks, and it has never acted up or failed to go boom. It is a nice handling double trigger gun.
I think her Dad did well by her.
Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.