April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steve Nash, Researcher, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 416 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,223
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani:

Here's the text and it gives an account of in April 20 or 30 years ago(starting at 1903?) that the brother of the author(with or without the author) while climbing ran into eagle raiser, purveyor Otto Bock at an eagle's nest or something of the like:
(page 91)
"91

50 Jahren oftmals den Horst ausnehmen lassen. Greve fand den Horst zweimal, im Jahre 1875 und 1876, im letzten Jahre am 22, April, als die Jungen eben ausgekrochen waren. Später sind die Jungen ausgenommen und seit der Zeit hat der Adler nicht mehr genistet.

Herr Hoflieferant Otto Bock in berlin, welcher früher in Mecklenburg-Strelitz sammelte, hat den Seeadler daselbst auch brütend gefunden und schreibt mir darüber wie folgt: “Ende März oder Anfang April (das Jarh ist nicht angegeben, es mag aber wohl 25 bis 30 Jahre zurückliegen) stiessen mein Bruder und ich und der in Mecklenburg bekannte Steiger Papenzin beim Suchen nach Rabenhorsten ganz zufällig auf einen Seeadlerhorst, der auch besetzt war."

And here's the site again: http://books.google.com/books?id=h_IWAAA...lin&f=false

I forgot to note there was a J.F. Bock of Berlin that supplied helmets to one of the war efforts. And Gebhard Bock post WWI penned Cuno Buchel regarding his target arm complying with the Olympic target event. The Luna Kleinkaliberbuchse was the result of Bock request and Buchel's design.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone want to guess if Otto was Carl Bock's brother? -

"Carl Alfred Bock was born in 1849 in Copenhagen, the son of a well-to-do merchant family. In 1875 he decided to pursue a career in natural history. In early August 1878, on his first collecting trip for the Zoological Society in London, he found himself on board a Dutch steamer bound from Batavia for Padang, together with 700 European mercenaries hired to fight in the Aceh War and a number of convicts.

He collected specimens at Paio; at Ayer Angat, near Muara Labu, and at Lolo and Ayer Mancur. On his return to Batavia he was commissioned to explore the interior of southeastern Borneo. The author discusses the travels and publications of Carl Bock, in particular those about Borneo and the Dayak. In 1881 he went on a journey into northern Siam and the semi-autonomous Lao states. The article includes a bibliography bibliography. The listing of books is of ancient origin. Lists of clay tablets have been found at Nineveh and elsewhere; the library at Alexandria had subject lists of its books. of works by Carl Bock and reviews of Bock's works (Drs. Youetta M. de Jager). "

from http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Carl+Bock+...,...-a093792631

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw

Just a quick word or so on what Raimey stated about the last Kaiser (Wilhelm II). He did have his left arm damaged at birth that left this arm useless for his entire life. He did have however a very powerful right arm because of this. His handshake was almost bone crushing according to many who were on the receiving end. He like to play tricks on some people by turning his rings around and shaking their hands, thus causing some great pain.

He was a very avid hunter, both big game and birds. He could and did shoot a shotgun one handed with ease. So perhaps Bock very well could have provided guns to Wilhelm II, I know that Purdey did.

Greg:

You may be correct and either he was supplier to both Kaisers or two separate Kaisers?

A listing notes Otto Bock as:

"Waffenhandlungen
Otto Bock, Hoflieferant des Kaisers, Kronestrasse 9 Berlin"

Which looks to be arms or hunting arms handler/supplier or negotiator to Kaisers(plural??).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Raimey, very interesting again! As to the Kaisers, as you may know were only three:

Wilhelm I, 1871 to 1888

Fredrich III, 1888

Wilhelm II, 1888 to 1918

If Bock did supply to the Kaisers, F. III who only reigned for 99 days in very ill health (cancer of the throat)would more than likely not have used Bock as a supplier (as Crown Prince, he may have). That would leave the two Wilhelm's. I guess now it comes down to what years he was a supplier. Anything after 1888 woud mean W.II

Again, a most interesting thread!!!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

des Kaisers = of the Kaiser, to the Kaiser (singular)

-Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Jani for the correction on the translation. Many of the sources of info note that Otto Bock was a "well established supplier". I wish someone would have elaborated on just how he was so established and when.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice information.

The hammer gun may have had an extensive metal refinish. The fit of the forend iron to the knuckle looks rather iffy to me.

best,

C.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw

So...........what's your opinion on this Bock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=138274863

[img][/img]

So indeed it is a Belgian sourced double. I emailed the seller who kindly sent me the pic. I seriously doubt if Otto Bock made very many of his examples and as a supplier sourced all of them. But I am always up to considering additional info.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Raimey, thanks for the pic of the flats. Interesting that when I e-mailed the seller and asked for a pic of the flats, he said that the pics in the auction is what he had. Needless to say, I didn't get any pics.

As you stated and as all can see it is a Bel. gun. At least this part of the puzzle is complete.

Thanks again!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Greg. I can't say on the seller. I asked and he supplied. But the proofmarks do give insight into the sourcing of Otto Bock and I think the same applies to all other suppliers/makers in Berlin. And it validates the claim that for the most part all suppliers/firearms merchants sourced the centers of gunmaking, i.e. Suhl/Zella-Mehlis & Liege with a smaller emphasis on Vienna & Weipert, where there was a high concentration of the most talented craftsmen on the continent, if not the world(may have some opposition here). Just a fact of economics. After the Germans, and other Europeans, got over the urge to be exactly like the Brits in the 1870s & 1880s, home or in country sourcing became the norm which ran parallel to the advent of mechanization.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.