April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, eeb), 1,158 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158698 08/23/09 12:50 PM
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've posted pics of the serial number confusion on my Ideal/Specialty combo. The Ideal I is stamped on the barrel and forearm wood, forearm metal carries just the SN, Specialty S is stamped on the watertable and the balance of the gun seems to carry the engraving of the Specialty. Any thoughts how this gun came to be is greatly appreciated. The wood seems to be English walnut in the buttstock, Black walnut in the forearm. Is this a monday morning factory job,a clever gunsmith, or a send back and parts are parts deal?? Barrel has the Ideal stamped on the right barrel as expected. Last night I blackened the engraving and barrel flats to add contrast to the engraving, so that's the dark coloration. Haven't taken the time to oil/#1200 emory cloth down to metal again. Maybe one of you have a similar gun? With more time I will take pics of a Parker P that has 7 different serial numbers and post it here. Thanks, Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy, saw your post over on the L.C. site. In my opinion it looks to be a factory replacement set. The numbers look the same. It doesn't look like the old numbers were ground off and new ones put there.
Jim had replied back that this gun was made in early 1916. Maybe something happened to the other barrels. In sending guns back to the factory for new barrels, they were half the cost of the gun, and I'm sure this stayed that way until Hunter Arms was bought out in 1945. These guns, both Specialty and Ideal were still made and so the for-ends could be ordered also.
The difference in the two for-ends would be the checkering, the Specialty should have 20 lpi and the Ideal should have 18 lpi., both would have the banjo style release. If yours has the rectangular release, then it was made/replaced in 1939 when Hunter changed designs over.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Appears done after 1926, i.e....two screws in the forend iron (later style)....and forend iron pins instead of screws (cocking section-also later style)....as mentioned above, probably a factory re-barrel....since all the numbers match and fit is most likely perfect....on face etc....

Best,

Doug

RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David, Thanks for your reply. The release plate on the forearm is rectangular as you mentioned. The forearm spring has a tapered point to fit into the forearm lug on the barrel. Unlike the flat style of the early models. Did this change have a specific year of change. Also, the forearm is a heftier style and the muzzle end of the forearm has a radiused indent for your finger to remove the forearm. Forearm checkering is not as tight as the pistol grip. Haven't made a count on the lines. Drew mentioned a cost consideration might have come into play on the replacement barrel. Was there a significant cost or quality difference between the Specialty Nitro steel and Ideal London steel barrels? Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy, the J spring might have changed a little, but since your replacement forend does have the rectangular release, then you can be sure it was made in 1939 or later.
Drew is right about the cost, in a 1939 catalog, standard two trigger Ideal Grade was $60.25, so a set of extra barrels were $30.00. Two trigger Specialty Grade was $100.00, extra set of barrels $50.00. In a 1948 Repair Catalog for the L.C. Smith Gun Co. a set of extra barrels were $64.50 and a Specialty was $100.00. Forend wood fitted, $10.50 and $15.50.

David

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.