April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (HistoricBore, DaveB, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,089 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, I don't see anything in Doug's (PA24) post "unprofessional".

I hope your not the same one that uses a torch for his case colors, as that is unprofessional.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster
If a case colored reciever (on an Ithaca 4E in particular) has been blued can the bluing be removed and the case colors restored? Yes

More related questions:

1) After the case colors are back on should I expect the engraving to be severely degraded. The engraving should come back in basically the same condition as it is currently in. Professional prep will remove very little metal unles you have some pits or deep scratches.

2) How are case colors put on? They are a very thin surface coating of "oxides and other stuff" that form during quench from case hardening temperature.

3)How is bluing removed from engraved receivers? (I have read that Heinz Ketchup is wicked on blued barrels!) Abrasively, chemically, or with heat. Annealing temperature will take care of the blue , as CJ pointed out.

4) What makes the case colors go away? Exposure to abrasion, even light abrasion. The film is thin and low strength. Routine cleaning? If the cleaning cloth has any abrasive on it, yes. Exposure to air? No, not at all. Combination of both?

Sidelock
Sidelock

For one of the best descriptions of what is going on:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal_v7i4_9.htm

This is an article originally published in the Double Gun Journal by Oscar Gaddy. He has SEM images of the surface which results in the colors. Traditionally, after the surface is re cased, it is coated with a light film of lacquer to protect it.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
looks like pa24 is shillin for ol ken again...are there not forum rules against this unprofessional conduct?

Why would anyone have to "shill" for Ken Hurst? The membership here is well aware of his expert engraving skills.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushmaster, I happen to be restoring a 4e currently below are pics of before polished and after.

Hope this helps

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not hardly. I mean there are "not hardly any rules against shillin for ol ken". Is that a clear enough reply? I think Dave allows us to recommend and crucify anyone in the business if we stick to facts and are polite about it. So far, everyone has been polite and I am drooling about the possibility of getting my Model 51 Husky to look like the one in the pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, can we hear more about your Husky Model 51 project? Did anyone freshen up the wood while John was doing the case color? Did John do all the disassembling and prep work or did you send him the disassembled gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

I did the wood on that one. It was not hard. I gave the gun to John. While he did his magic on the metal, I had time to clean up the stock. I did not rechecker, simply clean it up and refinish it. John did all the metal work.

This is another M51 that is still in progress. I am waiting for Dan May to call and tell me the stock work is done. It is now a 45-70 double rifle.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete thats COOOOOOOL! Who did the Barrel work? Is that group with both barrels? Tell us more!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mark.

I do not want to hi-jack the thread. The work was done by a member here, RD Show. The group is 4 shots, 2 from each barrel. No pretense on my part, it is a boar / deer rifle, nothing more.

Pete

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.