April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, bbman3, ClapperZapper, Mark II, Fudd, 1 invisible), 1,024 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,187
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Justin, I remember text and illustrations from a couple of sources (think maybe Vol. 1 of The Modern Shotgun and in one of Garwood's books) indicating that all locking bites located top of breech (not only Greener and Kersten but also rotaries and even non-locking doll's heads) have the advantage over underbites of being further from the hingepin, allowing them to act thru a longer lever arm against rotation about said pin. Whether they are battered to a state of distension and deformity faster than are underlugs and sliding lockbolts I have no idea. The longer lever arm applies to both the translation of the opening movement around the hingepin to the lockbolt as well as its restraint by that bolt; would there be potential for a larger battering movement but a milder force applied than would be the case for bottom bolting?

It has been suggested that accurate fitting of crossbolt and underbite[s] to share the load applied on firing is difficult of accomplishment. I tend to believe that an inexpensive gun with multiple locking (Noble Arms m410) might well have a Greener which is more for show and not much for go. I can see no justification for redundancy of underbites unless they share the mechanical load equally. Perhaps Purdys are fitted with rigorous patience and each pair of bolt and lug takes a share of the load right out of the box. Again, using the example of a Spanish gun made to a low price, I would assume that one bolt waits its turn on the other which is a closer fit initially. I think they would tend to work in concert (dividing the load) after the tighter fitting of the two is "battered" to a tolerance of movement equivalent to that of the other as fitted.

My recently acquired Merkel from the late sixties has only the Kersten X-bolt. Even the Germans are able to sacrifice painstaking to a price point. Notice they stuck with the top bolting rather than the double underlugs. I don't know if that would have been a decision based entirely on economy of manufacture or if the company reputation for quality and longevity was served well enuf by the Kersten alone.

I've always wondered about the efficiency of floorplate-piercing lugs (recoil lugs). Do they share the work? How much and for how long?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

That word "striking" is a denotative morass. We've listened to the barrelwgt. arguments about the Fox and heard that the weight stamps are frequently what? Struck off while "striking"(draw-filing). Tents and camps are struck and they're no longer seen. Coins are struck and images and numbers appear. Striking is also a loose synomym for hammering. Very convenient.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a catch up note, I have not been ignoring this thread, but not had much computer time the last few days & all of yesterday kept getting "page cannot be found" when trying to log in. Will offer a few thoughts on recent issues & will try to give the rest of my thoughts on the original question later when time permits.
1st; There is one great difference between black & Smokeless propellents, Including 7625. Black powder burns at a very similar rate regardless of confinement, smokeless does not. In the scheme of burning rates black is a fairly slow shotgun propellent, but rather rapid for rifle use. The burning speed of black is due primarily to its make-up with further refinement from its grain size. It is made from very fine "Priming Powder, 4FG up through coarse grain cannon & blasting powders. 2FG & 3FG are the granulations most used for shotguns. Due to its characteristics you could drop 2 drams of 2FG in a primed 12ga shotgun hull, wad it & drop 3/4oz shot & if you shoot it immediately you can just push a thin card on top to keep the shot from rolling out & don't even bother to crimp it. Stick this shell in a gun & fire it & you will get good balistics at a very low pressure. Try to duplicate that with a slow smokeless, including 7625, & you will most likely end up with the shot charge trapped part way up the bore between the wadding. Burn rate of smokeless powders are controlled partially by shape & size of the granulation, but primarily by retardent coatings. The slower the powder, the more retardent & the higher the pressure required to keep it burning effeciently. Fast powders are meant to be used with normal velocities & lighter shot charges, slow powders are meant to be used for higher velocites & heavier shot charges. They should be used for their intended purposes, nuff said for the "Wise".
2nd; "If" I were commisioned to fit up a shotgun having double underbolts & a cross bolt, time & expense not a factor, here's how I would do it. First of course the breech end of the bbls would be fit to come tight against the standing breech with just a wee bit of clearence between their flats & the frame table (bout the thickness of a piece of writing paper). The front surface of the rear bbl lug would be cut on the arc of a circle centered on the hinge & fitted very closely to cross members in the frame bar to assist the hinge pin in carrying the axial load. The lower portion of the front lug below the notch would be shaped as a cam to allow the bolt to come forward on opening the gun bringing top lever back to center & pushing the bolt back in closing, doing away with the need for one of those tedious little ol lever latches to hold it open. The front bolt would be cut straight & given just enough clearence to run freely, no real need for it to actually do any bolting, just the purposes above stated. Rotational bolting would be accomadated by the notch in the rear lug. This could either be cut straight with just bare minimum clearence to allow it to close or cut as a wear compensating wedge. For the former the top lever would always stop centered, while for the later it would start right & rotate around as wear occured. The cross bolt would then be fit to absolutely insure it had a tight bearing on its "Rear" surface to prevent flexing of the breech away from the bbls. If properly fit it would of course also have some bearing on its lower surface to assist the rear bolt it countering rotational movement but this would for the most part be superflous. Utlizing the long bolt of the double underlug system also allows the rear bolt to pierce the bolt having bearing in front of, beside of & behind the lug. As the bolt is pulled up in load this gives it a more equal bearing over its length than if the load is just applied to its End. There are of course many other systems which have been used, many with great success, but this is my take on the very popular double underbolt with top crossbolt system.

Last edited by 2-piper; 08/15/09 07:14 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.