March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could those be replacement barrels after the move to New Oxford St.?

CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George L.
Your beautiful cased Reilly brought 2,800 GBP exclusive of Buyer's Premium at Holt's December, 2007 Main Sale. You gun was made between 1883-1898 as he was at the New Oxford Street address during those years.

Best Regards, George

Many thanks George - impressive information mining and you are correct about the Holts auction price in 2007 as I purchased it from the chap who was the successful bidder that day.

I also spent some time on the Internet Gun Club and found the attached history (I hope John does not mind me posting this as I will remove if requested) -

"In 1859 J C Reilly became Reilly & Co and moved to 315 Oxford Street (later named "Armoury House"), Joseph Manton's old premises and next door to James Purdey. E M Reilly stayed at 502 New Oxford Street. In 1860 Edward M Reilly became Edward M Reilly & Co.

From 1870 to 1874 E M Reilly & Co traded from both 502 New Oxford Street and 315 Oxford Street, and in 1869 Edward started trading as E M Reilly et Cie at 2 Rue Scribe, Paris; reportedly, this shop closed in 1872.

From 1875 to 1882 E M Reilly traded only from 502 Oxford Street leaving J C Reilly on his own at 315 Oxford Street. In 1881 315 Oxford Street was re-numbered 277 Oxford Street (James Purdey ocupied 314-315 Oxford Street which, possibly because of sub-division and re-arrangement of the shopfronts/building, he called 314 1/2, it became 287-289).

The re-numbering of Oxford Street included No. 502 New Oxford Street which was re-numbered to 16 New Oxford Street.

At some time between 1884 and 1898 E M Reilly opened another shop in Paris, this time at 29 Rue du Faubourg, St Honore. When it closed is not known. In 1898, on the death of his father, Edward inherited his father's business and closed at 16 New Oxford Street."

This would tend to imply that as the address on the rib was the "Rue Scribe" location, the gun was dated pre-1872 when that shop closed out?

All very fascinating - just frustrating that Reilly records apparently are no longer in existence!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As the gun has rebounding locks (ie post 1868) and you have the address info which seems to put it between 1870-1872 I think you have the date of manufacture nailed.Lack of choke also puts it pre-1875.My first impression on seeing the pics suggested an early 1870's gun. Congratulations on a very fine gun. I have a somewhat later hammer pigeon gun by Reilly that is a personal favourite.
Terry

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome from another Englishman on the forum. It might be worth tracing something on the inscription and armorial engraving on the gold oval. The College of Arms in London should be able to tell you who has the right to bear those arms. Sorry I couldn't quite make out the Latin inscription but my Latin is a bit rusty anyway. Good luck with your excellent purchase and have fun using it. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a Grand Gun man.....Lovely wood too.
The engraving on the Hammers must have been a *itch!
Shoot her in good health....nice to have the 07 Re Proof.
Very nice.
Have seen a few Riley H'less SLE's , but only on the Intranet
...all looked very tidy indeed.
Good luck to you both.
Franc.
Iwas Born & raised in Somerset, England....a little north, but not that far, all things concidered(That's the Somerset spelling , hence the SIC Con'cider'ed) , from Cornwall...ever eat a Cornish Pastey..or Tiddy Oggie as sometimes called..anyone?

Sidelock
Sidelock

CBL 1, I don't know if you are interested, but I just came across an original EM Reilly oak and leather case that I have had in the garage for 20 years and totally forgotten about. Structurally, it is all there, including all the cast brass hardware and inner dividers and it has 2 EM Reilly labels, an older one with a newer one that was laid over the old one. I am not home at the moment, so I don't know the addresses of the labels. That being said, it would need total restoration as all the leather is completely shot. If you are interested, I would sell it for $400.00 plus shipping to the UK from California.
If you have an interest, let me know and I will take some photos when I get home on Sunday.
Very nice gun,
Gordon

Gordon

If you don't fly first class, your heir's will!
CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the excellent and useful feedback chaps - enormously appreciated and I have already learnt a lot from this thread. I am trying to purchase a Reilly 10 bore (have been for 2 yrs now) so will seek to post up those pics in due course.

Gordon - appreciate the offer but the gun actually came with an original, two-tier Reilly case with original label so I am sorted out presently. Where are you in Nor-Cal by chance as I lived in San Francisco/Palo Alto for 6 yrs - absolutely loved it and miss it greatly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in Ferndale, a little town on the coast, about 250 miles above San Francisco. In the Eel river valley, 4 miles from the ocean and Redwoods.

Gordon

If you don't fly first class, your heir's will!
Sidelock
Sidelock

CBL,
Could you post the wording of the motto beneath the crest? Next week I will be at my other place and have a good book on crests and mottos there and can check what families use it.
Beautiful gun BTW.
Rs
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franc Otte

...ever eat a Cornish Pastey..or Tiddy Oggie as sometimes called..anyone?

Yes! Tiddie Oggies, crescent shaped pastry cases; meal ready to eat. They evolved from the Cornish tinminers' lunches, lowered down the shaft in a bucket. Although the original version had a savoury half (mince meat, veg, gravy) and a sweet half (stewed apple, whatever), they now seem to be entirely savoury. I had my last one way back, stormbound in Mousehole, during a boat delivery trip. Brings back memories of the best bath I ever had, in the Mission to Seamen, after a few days of being pounded trying to get past the Lizard!
Rs
K.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.