May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, 1 invisible), 711 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,638
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys aren't even close. I believe I saw a guy at the Grand American shoot a trap gun with a four or five foot long barrel. From a wheelchair! Might have been six foot long. I'll have to check on this one to be sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Not sure if it's the same gun Utah mentioned, but Jaqua's has a W&C Scott hammergun for sale with an original set of 40" bbls.

It's a 2bbl set.

OWD

That gun belonged to a poster on here...what's up with it...Any issues ?

RPr Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The benifits of long barrels on early flintlock era shotguns were claimed to be,
* Longer burn time for poorer grades of black powder. (shoots further)
* Better shot patterns. ( Odd, I would have thought more bore scrubbing).
* Longer sight radius.
* Better suited for use with a bayonet. (You were part of the militia)

With modern powders and chokes I would think barrel length is a matter of personal preference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of those old single barrel muzzle loading guns with the long tubes were called 'marsh rails' here in Britain. I always regret not buying one in 8 bore percussion when I had a chance. They were used to poke over the edge of the big drainage ditches in the English Fenlands and shoot at groups of wildfowl on the water much in the manner if punt guns. I did have a single barrel breech loading 8 with a 42" barrel. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
* Better shot patterns. ( Odd, I would have thought more bore scrubbing).

Think less muzzle blast. Shot deformation from the initial "Hammer" of the powder ignition & muzzle blast from rapidly exiting gasses are both I believe more detrimental to patterns than actual scrubbing in the bore.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always felt that too much effort at obtaining a uniform pattern ruins the calamitous effect which is the very essence of the shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Not sure if it's the same gun Utah mentioned, but Jaqua's has a W&C Scott hammergun for sale with an original set of 40" bbls.

It's a 2bbl set.

OWD

Who was the guy on here that owned it ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Obsessed,

A friend of mine owned the Jacqua gun for awhile but then sold it to them. Another friend had it on approval but returned it because of some stock and various issues. I played with the idea of buying it myself but for such a long barrel it really wasn't a heavy fowling piece believe it or not. That was the longest I've seen on a double personally.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, Pete, I didn't see your 78" barrel that you mentioned. But I had to check with the guys over on trapshooters.com. They confirmed my guess that the guy I used to see shooting in a wheelchair every year I was there, now has a Ljutic with a 60" barrel. He used to have one with only a 55" barrel. He was also a 27 yard shooter. I don't know how he did it. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 40" barrels are pretty useless.....what were the "various issues" ?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.