May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wild Skies), 395 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,373
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

So if the pin is hardened and the hook has worn, the proper solution is to replace the part that didn't wear?

Correct me if I read this incorrectly.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's the reason I won't consider replacing the pin on the Lindner Daly. There's just too much risk of damaging the cap screws on this old gun and the engraving and patina just could never be duplicated.

For what it's worth the gun does not show evidence of having been shot enough for wear to have taken it off face. The action is rather light and my guess is some idiot in the past shot a few hot loads through it and stretched the action. Just my opinion. As far as the metal applied in a hook weld, this is a 1890 gun and just about any weld is going to have a better alloy than the steels that were availabe 120 years ago.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would not rule out a good smith doing it right Joe....but I see your cause for concern. Very nice.

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement of the pin is for the factory to do in all cases. Less invasive measures are called for in all other cases where the building factory is not involved. As mentioned in other posts, the pin is usually not worn enough to replace, is ridiculously expensive to file and reengrave, and the new pin will not properly engage the surfaces of the hook. Many pins are not one piece and hardly anyone understands Model 21 or Parker pin construction, even if they claim to. My friend Joe Wood made the best case for not messing with the pin. In 99 out of 100 cases, even a talented smith will ruin the gun. The new pin will show up like a turd on a collard leaf.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! I had no idea there were so many double gun repair experts! Ken Eversull really ought to check in here and find out how to do it. Better yet, he might well retire and farm out all his work to the experts. After all these years I'm sure his clients would like to finally get the job done right!
Best,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's right SDH, the stuff you read in sporting mags isn't always correct.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 07/22/09 09:37 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

So SDH, what's YOUR take/opinion?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im not sure where I remember seeing this, but this issue reminds me of the topic that read something like "How to repair a broken locking bolt?" I believe a rather well known and respected double gunsmith made the comment of you have to know what youre dealing with and take that into consideration. Imho you just dont force the burden onto your customer of re-machining an entirely new bolt or hinge pin if the gun in hand simply isnt worth it. But you know what they say about opinions

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how many loose doubles you have to have handled and made a decision on before you become knowledgeable, but there are certainly non-gunsmiths capable of doing so.
Informed consumers are good for the doubles market.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am no repair expert, never professed to be. In fact, I hired Dennis Potter to rejoint my Fox, by welding and refitting the hook, a beautiful job.
I have great respect for Mr. Eversull's experience and expertice as do many, many knowlegeable folks in the gun trade, on both sides of the Atlantic. I invited Ken to be interviewed about his techniques but he declined.
And I've always done my best to help consumers understand the workings of quality gunsmithing.
Best,
Steve

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.