April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Read mine thru about ten times. Mr. T. must have some sharp paring chisels. Trigger steel isn't that soft! Anyway, a bit of self-deprecation, some very cooptable how-do-it topics, and interesting echoes of Purdys in the fifties (somebody's formative years!).

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit/Jack, If my Memory' serves me....If the Trigger Steel isn't that soft how could I as a 17-18yr old apprentice working under the watchfull 'Eye' of W O Brien,take trigger castings that had to be Hand-Filed,both the 'Blades' and secondly the'Spur' then fitted into the two'slots' in the trigger-plate,that had previously been filed up,by the 'Gaffer'All to Gauges, handed down from Dead gunmakers Relative

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit/Jack, If my Memory' serves me....If the Trigger Steel isn't that soft how could I as a 17-18yr old apprentice working under the watchfull 'Eye' of W O Brien,take trigger castings that had to be Hand-Filed,both the 'Blades' and secondly the'Spur' then fitted into the two'slots' in the trigger-plate,that had previously been filed up,by the 'Gaffer'All to Gauges, handed down from Dead gunmakers Relatives to 'Young Apprentices,...Set the 'spurs' to the Gauge to get the correct shape for 1, the front trigger,2 the rear trigger????The stocker,back then,was responsible for fitting the triggers to the'Box drilling and tapping the box for the trigger-pin,making the trigger-pin, using the treadle-lathe I might say!,The trigger 'Spurs' were still in their 'Soft Stage'as after filing-up' the trigger guard-Bow'and inletting it into the stock,Be it Straight-Hand or Pistol-Hand.we sometimes had to,(to use a McIntoshisim)'Tweek" the Spurs to clear the inside of the Bow'.When 'Making-Off the stock and pulling the drawknife towards the action-head the Guard was off the stock, consequently when you had been to the 'Irongate Wharf Pub for the manditory'3Pint Lunch,then picking up the 12'bladed Draw-Knife,then back to pulling-off 'slivers of best french-walnut from the stock.It was very easy to slide off the wood and "SLICE OFF A TRIGGER-SPUR"!!!!Remember , the triggers werenot hardened untill after all the Case-hardening of the Action,Lock-Plates,had been completed and the 'Finisher'had re-fitted "ALL" the soft-parts to their respective'Slots,Holes,etc.I had, for many years,both a front trigger and a back trigger with the blades'Whacked-orf'.Error noted by'Heini" Eye',12InchBladed Draw-Knife!!!!DT.formerli of "PURDY"(Now Purdeys).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone not buying a copy directly from Trevallion would be without the enduring pleasure of a personal inscription.
A seminal text in shotgun lore.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I finalized my order the form said 1, in stock. I guess I did get the last one, for now. I have since received confirmation that it has been shipped, due here Thursday or Friday. Amazon said "after Christmas" and $3.99 for shipping.
Thanks again

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

SDH. Barry Lee has just Christmassed Me! Three Centuries of Tradition" The Renaissance of Custom Sporting Arms in America"...Your 12b. DB is Outstanding!!P 160.If I may tell the Folks that are acquiring' Shotgun Tech',I did have a 'Book-Plate' made up that can be put inside with a Workshop Photo and a 'Couple of Signatures' Carol @ Gunnerman had some left over from the Northbrook Shoot last May, & I have a few also.If any body would like one 'e' me with N&Add. will forward asap.C/C

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, great book. Must have.

It was very helpful for my first (and only) successful sidelock (sear) surgery.

Still waiting for DT's and MM's autographs to add to my edition though,

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe I just thot it was self-deprecating humour and I mistakenly remembered drawknife for cheesle. Yeh, I probably could slice thru a damascus barrel with a big ol floor slick and I don't hardly got no training atall, so your point is well taken, swallowed at a gulp without benefit of lubricating fluid, like a pig up a python and so forth. As did JayCee, I also benefited from the H&H lock description and plates. Thankyou.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I polished it off few years ago. I enjoyed section on self openers. Very important reference located next to The Rifle Story by John Walter on my book shelf.
PS. I still used nickname 'Self-Opener' for well-worn quality break open gun though. No sir, there is nothing 'Clunker' about a good ole' 'Self-Opener'.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.