May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, CJF, prairie ghost, FlyChamps, Themauserkid), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1519 09/18/06 10:50 PM

hello all, this is Ed Ruppel one of Russ' boys. i have been posting semi regular updates on dad's condition over at redpowermagazine.com's forum since some of you may know that dad's other great love was big tractors! as pipeliner mentioned he will be in hospice care here at home in a few days. knowing how much dad has affected so many people far and wide really touches all of us and makes us proud to have had such a cool guy for a father. we will keep you posted as thins continue.

this is what i posted over on redpower

"super bad news.

r-cubed is coming home this week to hospice care. he was told wednesday that on top of all the crap he has been dealing with that he also has bone cancer( not sure what type). the number 32% was tossed out there by one of the doc's on wedensday and i'm not for certain what it pertains to. unfortunately the doc's have been doing all their talking to my mom who in her current mind frame is in no way able to let us know what was said exactly and dad who can't talk. her terrible grasp of the english language ( transplanted from mexico thanks to r-cubed ) isn't helping matters either . she's fluent but her way of retelling that type of information would be pretty bad. when we tried to talk to the doc yesterday he was being an A-hole. he kept saying he had already explained everything to my mom and dad.

regardless, that particular doc has given pop's about a week. he feels that since dad wants to be freed of any tube feedings and anti-biotics and blood transfusions that he doesn't have long. we ( the four local sons) convinced dad to stay on the tube feeding until he is discharged from the hospital so that his chances of having a few good days at home increase. it took another call to A-hole Doctor to reverse dad's hasty decision which dad agreed to on his own. he'd already had that stuff pulled when we got there in the afternoon to talk to the hospice lady. so as of right now they are testing him all weekend to see if he can handle breathing with nothing more than a CPAP. if he requires a ventilator to go home, the home will have to be inspected to meet criteria required for such a device, #1 being a back up generator. which he already has.

this same type of cancer took dad's mom 3 years ago and it did her in pretty fast. about 2 1/2 months and it was ****. it looks like dad won't have to suffer for long from the bone cancer once he gets to the comforts of home which i guess at this point is good since he suffered for the last months already with mind intact. he was waving good-bye to us all and it got us all choked up. he gave youngest son Bob now 32 the 'ol pistol finger. is was a tear jerker. it's hard to even type this.

so this is what it has come down to.

i know that dad has appreciated hearing all of your words of encouragement as he tried to battle through this illness and as an individual i have come to really respect the old man for being such a hoot to have around and see the friends he made everywhere ...even on the internet.

i'll also be poking my head in here on occasion as now we sons will have to be the ones to fix dad's big yellow elephant and carry on the yellow tradition and build the pond he always wanted to out at our farm.

thanks so much for all your prayers and your concern through this difficult time.

Ed"

thanks for taking the time to read this and for all your prayers
Ed

#1520 09/18/06 11:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed,
I'm so very sorry. I never met your dad, but, we enjoyed sparring with one another on this board, and had a pretty good internet friendship.

He will be missed very much in this part of cyberspace.

Goood Luck, and best wishes to you and family. I know it must be difficult.
Best,
Ted

#1521 09/18/06 11:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes one does meet a "real" person in this all too virtual world we have created. Ed, your dad is as real as they come, and you and your brothers should be truly proud of that blood coursing through your veins. Your father is a gift to all of us who have "known" him over the web. He spoke his mind with confidence and flair. He reminded me of the best of men I have known over the years in my own unique profession.

I wish you and your family all God's strength in the coming days, and I count myself so fortunate to have "known" and corresponded with him here. All good, Joe Taylor

#1522 09/18/06 11:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Russ at various times made us all laugh, cringe and jump up and down, sometimes all at once! We've had some good times together here, that's for sure. Thanks Russ!

#1523 09/19/06 12:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never met Russ in person, but always enjoyed his posts here--even the few times he chastised me. He even had a way of showing a guy the error of his ways that most enjoyed. I have missed Russ' posts since this started, now it seems we are to continue missing him. May the Lord comfort him and all his family and friends, and keep him with us for all his alotted days.
Curtis

#1524 09/19/06 06:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed,

Met your father once on a long trip there from out east. He made me feel at home. He was always full of unique, no-nonsense ideas and thoughts on a multitude of subjects. You and your family are fortunate to have such a good father, who was so giving to you all and this community too.

#1525 09/19/06 09:44 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have never met Russ, just through the LCSCA and here, gave me some tips on putting together my elsie. Have read a lot of his posts here and there and his answers were a no nonsense, right to the point on a lot of matters.
My prayers are with Russ and his entire family, and knowing the way he wrote about things, I know he is not a quitter. May God bless.

David

#1526 09/19/06 10:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, give your dad best wishes from Erik Koik. Tell him thanks for all the things he did for people on this board and thanks for his humor. He touched a lot of lives.

#1527 09/19/06 10:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed - Thanks for telling us the sad news. Your dad brought a unique perspective to this board that I will miss.

#1528 09/19/06 11:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was several years ago that Russ and I were on the phone dickering over something. I used a Spanish term and he told me that I had not understood the nuances of the words. Of course I challenged (two old farts at logerheads, after all) and he responded that he had to know more Spanish than I, as he had,"Married the prettiest little Wetback that I would ever see".
This quote is pure Russ. Rough on the exterior but filled with meaning and feeling on the inside. I treasure it and will think on it often.
As I would pray for a Pope's last days, I pray for my friend. May God have mercy and grant him a speedy and peaceful end of earthy life. I celebrate the full life that my friend has lived and pray for peace in the hearts of those that knew, loved and respected him. They are legion!!!.|
God Bless you, my friend.
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.