March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#152680 06/28/09 04:54 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have any information on a gunmaker by the name of F. E. Malin? Following my advice of buy the gun not the name, I have just acquired a new toy. It is a 12 bore sidelock with all the best gun bells and whistles - articulated trigger, assisted opening, stocked to the fences, and even gold enhanced game scene engraving. However, I can't find a write up, though I believe the maker is a Frank E. Malin who also eventually built guns in Canada. However, this particular gun is marked "London."

Joe Taylor #152683 06/28/09 05:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Malin, Charles Boswell, England, Spain, North Carolina, Canada, Ronnie Roberts, Sold USA, are all connections. I think the guns started life in Spain. Unfortunately, I don't have a Malin file. I appraised a high grade Malin smallbore once that was in a group of guns that included a very well done counterfeit Purdey pigeon gun and an AHE Parker 20-28 gauge set that was put together from parts. The little Parker was later sold as original to a serious Parker collector for a baggo money. Although the Malin was an impressive little gun, the group of guns was the scariest little collection I have ever seen. The owner thought he had four or five of the greatest guns in the country and he paid for them accordingly. The Malin was the only gun in the group that was as represented. Well, kind of. It had more Boswell markings than Malin markings. Fortunately, my friend Joe knows a good gun when he sees it.

Joe Taylor #152684 06/28/09 05:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

The London on the gun is for London, Ontario. One of his guns is in the Royal Alberta Museum.

http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/human/govhist/_shotgun.htm

Julia's had a 20ga marked with London and Melbourne. See the article below...

This 20ga sold for $8,625 at a Canadian Auction.

Jan. 4, 1982, in Western Ontario Business, page 7. © 1982 - Bowes Publishers Limited:
Quote:
Produces shotgun for Prince Charles
Skill and patience trigger growth
for Melbourne gun craftsman

By Barry Hoch
It took just two years in business for word of Frank E. Malin’s craftsmanship to span the ocean and reach the discriminating ear of a lad named Prince Charles.

The proprietor of Frank E. Malin and Sons (Gunmakers) Ltd. of Melbourne, 25 miles west of London, Ontario, is busy today handcrafting a 16-gauge shotgun for the bonny prince, a testament of the success that has seen the young firm increase its annual sales eight times over its first-year receipts.

Working in a trade that requires patience and skill, Malin’s firm is the only producer of hand-made, side-by-side shotguns.

In 1979, the company’s first year in business, it recorded sales of $50,000. Now starting its third year, Malin and Sons is projecting sales of close to $400,000.

The sales projections reflect the growth in demand for Malin’s work. When he started he planned to produce about 20 guns a year, but Malin, 38, now finds himself with orders for more than 50 guns, including some for three years down the road.

The shotguns are meticulously hand-engraved and finished and range in price from a little more than $7,000 up to $25,000. An appointed member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen based in England, the firm also completed an order for the Eaton brothers of Toronto earlier this year.

The shotguns produced in the 1,500-square-foot shop at 19 Union St. in Melbourne combine practical function with an investment potential similar to antique cars. The first gun Malin made sold for $2,800 and was recently resold for $7,800, he sold.

The business is developing better than Malin had originally thought and his guns are now sold across North America with sales in England increasing steadily. "Kind of like shipping coal to Newcastle," he said.

In fact, the business is growing at such a rate that Malin is contemplating putting on an addition to the recent company-purchased facility on Union Street to increase the production space to 3,500 square feet.

Malin said he has three more skilled gunmakers coming from England in the next year and other production increases should result in a doubling of the present staff of five people in that time.

Malin, who has 22 years experience in gunmaking, including seven years apprenticeship training in Birmingham, England, with Webley and Scott, came to Canada in 1976 from his native England specifically to set up his own gunmaking operation.

Malin said it took a long time to set up his business since it required a search across Canada and the U.S. for equipment and parts.

A lack of opportunities in his homeland spurred Malin’s decision to come to Canada. When he was finishing his training under the old apprenticeship program, of which he was one of the last graduates, the gunmaking market was saturated with shops. But since coming to Canada the number of gunmakers in England has dropped sharply to only a handful, Malin said.

A small community, such as Melbourne, is well suited to the gunmaking craft. If it were located in a larger centre, even nearby London, the flow of people off the street could cause costly distractions.

One of Malin’s hand-made guns requires between 500 and 1,000 hours of painstaking and attentive work, the sidelocks take about six weeks to produce.

The engraving on the metal parts such as the sidelocks and the rich French walnut stock are typical of the fine detail of the guns which lends them their value and uniqueness.

Blanks for the gun’s stock can cost more than $1,000. The French walnut has been air-dried for at least 30 years and some of the wood has been drying since it was cut at the turn of the century.

Most engraving is tailor-made for the individual purchaser. It features finely detailed patterns such as scrolls, roses, animals, including pheasants and hunting dogs, and even 24-carat gold inlays.

Most of the engraving is supervised or handled by Malin’s partner, Ron Collings. The pair met while apprenticing together in Birmingham.

Malin wanted to produce the finest guns possible so in the beginning he sent pieces for engraving back to Collings in England, since he considered him a better engraver. Eventually, Malin convinced Collings to come to Canada in 1980 and join him as partner.

And as the name of the company suggests, Malin is looking to the future, although his son is still too young to start learning the craft. There are also plans to start an apprenticeship program when the staff has doubled to 10 people.

Both Malin and Collings are pleased by the general renewed interest in craftmaking in this country in the last decade. They feel they can attract enough people to the trade with the patience and devotion needed in working by hand.

The gunmakers may have to set up their program on their own though. Both lament the lack of apprenticeship programs and the lack of emphasis on a skilled trade as a worthwhile career in the country.

This was reflected in initial discussions with a federal government department to ascertain if there were funds available to start an apprenticeship program. The best the government could offer was a six-month assistance program.

Malin said an apprentice would not even be close to earning his own keep, let alone working on his own after six months. It takes considerable time for the apprentice to become confident enough in his own abilities.

The government department said they would look around for other possible programs, "but we may have to proceed (to an apprenticeship program) on our own," Malin said.

Pete

PeteM #152689 06/28/09 05:54 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Pete. I suspect this solves the mystery. This is a 3 1/2 ton proofed 2 3/4 inch gun without English (or Spanish for that matter) proofs. It is essentially identical to the Julia gun with a different engraving pattern. It also seems quite new, which the above also goes far in explaining. Do you have the source of the article?

Joe Taylor #152700 06/28/09 07:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

I cited the source:
Jan. 4, 1982, in Western Ontario Business, page 7. © 1982 - Bowes Publishers Limited

Here is the website that I found it on:
http://ca.geocities.com/erincan@rogers.com/ora1983.htm

You have a very nice gun. All the nicer that it is Canadian.

Pete

PeteM #152705 06/28/09 08:13 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry Pete; missed it under the photo. Interesting gun. All the gold is a bit over the top, but wonderful dimensions. The Canadian angle is facinating. Will do some research and try to find out what became of them. Suspect they were about a decade or so ahead of the resurgence of interest in the SXS.

This one has waterfowl as the central engraving theme. I think I'll bring her back to Sask for a couple of afternoon duck shoots this fall. I'm enough of a historian to appreciate full circles. Thanks again.

Joe Taylor #152723 06/28/09 10:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

isn't this the guy that tried to pass spanish shotguns as being english or canadian made?

Jagermeister #152724 06/28/09 11:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

London Ontario...gotta love it. I'm amazed at the length people go to bank on someone else's reputation when it comes to gun making.

GregSY #152728 06/29/09 02:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it is. There were also allegations of fake proof stamps, forgeries of certificates of proof, welding up of Spanish proof marks with non-Spanish marks then stamped, spurious cheap castings of un-know origin being passed off as forgings, and other sundry felonious behavior. Mr. Malin didn't simply go out of business, he was assisted in that matter with court orders from his own, and other countries.
The guns need to be judged one at a time, as marvelous examples exist, along with buyer-beware crap.

No idea which catagory the gun you bought falls into.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted sounds like they are going to be hard to judge when the beauty is most likey skin deep.

Originally Posted By: Joe Taylor

Following my advice of buy the gun not the name, I have just acquired a new toy.

I'd rather take my chances with a "name"....I hope you didn't get too deep in the "new toy".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.