May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (HalfaDouble, LGF, Tamid, AGS, 2 invisible), 690 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,945
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just picked up my first (and maybe last) Gun Digest. The Dec. 2006 cover article with picture caught my attention.

I am now in the midst of reading how to defame and devalue a relatively rare (if not old) 8ga hammer gun in some sort of quest for ???????

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obviously this guy thought that peeling the second skin from eight gauge industrial shells was some kind of rocket science. About ten years ago, I peeled a lifetime supply of empties in an evening pleasantly spent at the loading bench. This guy decided to drill out a recess in the chamber of an expensive shotgun instead! He probably paid a bad machinist a small fortune to do the job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who knows, maybe there are lots of klins and furnaces to 'clean' in potato land.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Who knows, maybe there are lots of klins and furnaces to 'clean' in potato land.

I live just south of the Idaho border and yes we have a fair share of kiln guns around here. I can get a lifetime supply of industrial hulls rather easily.

That doesn't change the fact that he ruined a good gun.

According to the article some sort of "master machinist did the work for him........

I guess having the same machinist make him a sizing die for the hulls would have been too hard for this "master".

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Machinist, may or may not, have had knowledge of old guns & their value. He was apparently asked to do the job (haven't read the article). Judge him on the quality of his work. Does anyone have knowledge if it was "Bad" or "Master" quality?? Just because he did a job "WE" would consider undesirable, does not mean he was a "Bad Machinist". To the "Gun Owner" must go the blame for the ruination of the originality of the gun.
Machinist!!

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2-piper,

A fair comment and pointing out how easy it is to type something that reads differently than it is meant. I have a friend who can also be described as a "master machinist" and he has made a lot of things for me gun related over the years even though I do not believe he has any real gun related experience.

The "blame" does lie with the writer and his editor for making this a cover story and not with the machinist who did what he was paid to do.

What happened is that he had the machinist rechamber the gun for industrial hulls instead of either peeling or sizing the hulls to make them fit the gun.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would have peeled a lifetime supply of hulls for him as a favor to a fellow shotgunner. The author's major problem is that he is not a participant on a good double gun website where he can get free information about how to do such things "the right way". We are lucky to have a meeting place to get information. I am grateful to Dave Weber for providing this vehicle for us.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Absolutely Bill.

The other side of that is I would have a lot more money and a lot less guns if I hadn't discovered this site 7-8 years ago.

Not complaining though, the guns are prettier than a bank statement.

There were a bunch more "errors" in this article, not just the buthering of the Tonolini. I may try to email the author thru the magazine website and see if he is willing to have a dialogue about this gun and maybe point him at this website.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, the big error in modifying a gun instead of modifying the shells is that he may end up owning more than one gun. For years, I had one eight gauge gun, made my ammunition to work in that gun. I enjoyed shooting it, not too often, but on a somewhat regular basis. In the last few years, I have acquired four more wonderful eight gauges that I also enjoy shooting, not too often, but on a regular basis. I am still using the empties that I modified, in the sixties, to work in the first eight gauge I owned. Those empties also work in the other four guns. Now I own 30 RMC brass shells that I also use in all five guns. Too bad about the Italian gun that is no longer suitable for RMC empties. I would like to own a Tonolini, but I will leave it as is.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill,

I wonder if the gun could be chamber sleeved back to a standard 8ga in the future? I think Brileys has to go down on gauge when they do this type of work.

It also brings up the possibility of firing a kiln gun load in this shotgun. The article states that the kiln loads use "standard shotshell.....propellant" but all of the kiln loads I have pulled apart look like they use a rifle powder similiar in appearance to Win 748 or BLC2. He also thought that the "low velocity" (950fps) kiln loads would be safe in this Tonolini but from the recoil and muzzle blast I have seen when these are fired (in a kiln gun) I wouldn't bet my fingers on it.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 12/14/06 03:17 PM.

Mike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.