May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (FelixD, canvasback, SKB, graybeardtmm3, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 282 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,752
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe-nobody here ever really knows or understands who you are or what your postings mean-But as our Host, Mr. Weber, as do I, believes in the First Amendment (as well as the Second) you can say whatever you want. Captain Paul A. Curtis was about same age as his friend Nash Buckingham, was an Army Ordnance Officer in WW1- rank of Captain when he left the Army Honorably-a noted gun authority who was invited to shoot with European Royalty and American "Upper Crusters" too, he was gunning editor for Field and Stream- he wrote "Guns and Gunning" in 1934-died of natural causes I believe in 1946.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

And people understand your posts....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please say more about why you do not regard the Hussey Imperial as the equal of a Purdey? If the Hussy has the diamond grip and the rest of the "Imperial" traits, that is probably not the conclusion a majority would reach. Barrels are the main value component of a gun; both have issues as presented by you. It would seem the Purdey has slightly more though in that the open chokes and pitting cannot be put right while maintaining the value of the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks For The Birthday Wish Joe! I've seen some ragged out Purdeys and a few magnificant Husseys. To me, the names are about equal in quality, the difference depends on the individual gun: overall condition, engraving & barrel quality.

Just My Humble Opinion.....George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

This sounds like a case of prestege to me. I have a Hussey that is real nice that fits me.....But I WANT that Purdey.

It doesn't seem like you're getting a great deal, maybe you should sit back for a few months, chill out, and if you still have to move to get a Purdey, then move forward. But make sure that you're buying for the right reasons.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, I believe--in Curtis' case--"natural causes" would have to include suicide. I'm pretty sure that's how he died. I'm stretching my memory here, and going back to Evans' "Men Who Shot", which I no longer have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes you are sadly right- just as with Col. Ned Crossman circa 1939 and one of Jack and Eleanor O'Connor's son as well. I lost two close buddies from the 'Nam Era to suicide, also USMC General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller's only son, a USMC 1st. Lt.- severly wounded and later after re-hab in Bethesda Naval Hospital he O.D.'d on pills- book entitled "Fortunate Son"-

As a Roman Catholic since birth and Baptism, I take that tragic loss of life very seriously, for the Church tells us that no one who takes their own life will enter Heaven. That's what the Church tells us, it also says we can't use Trojans (the latex version, not the economy grade Parker shotguns) when we go hunting poontang. So much for me being a good Catholic. I don't buy that, but as Irish poet John Findley Dunne wrote- "No man is an island--ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"!!

Out of respect for the memory and the high regard in which I hold the late Captain Paul A, Curtis- and his service to our Country in WW1- I ommitted that detail. I hope you will understand my motive in doing so- RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

The few Hussey's that I have seen have been extremely well made. My buddy has one that is spectacular. Fit and finish is perfect inside and out. The Purdy would have to be really nice and definitly not have any pitting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup-and the "Beat Goes On"- Joe I don't post here for others to understand me, I post here for two reasons: (1) Mr. Weber says that you and I and every swingin' Dick may-love that First Amendment, don't you? (2) And to give testament almost akin to bowing the knee of fealty to the inventor of this whole Internet gizmo, former Senator and Vice-President and brother 'Nam Veteran Al Gore- who once said something along these lines: "The Internet exists so that complete strangers whose paths in life may never cross may piss each other off in complete anominity"!! And guess what Amigo- he was right, you and I prove that point. Difference is, you always think you are right and I tend to ask questions here-some folks don't like that, tough cookies!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

one gets some of things by owning a purdey (not the prudy paint brush maker): big well regarded name with loong tradition of making guns (remember manton's 'ole' joe made for colonel hawker?), legendary self-opening action of 1879, quality. what does hussey mean to regular joe? it rhymes with .ussy so maybe new french-made panacea for erectile disfunction?

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.