April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (smlekid, SKB, R. Glenz, 1 invisible), 830 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it case colour hardened? If so, probably the old method of taking each finished component & putting it thru the process along with animal hides, hooves, urine: all the stuff of which jello is composed? Nah, I don't have any idea yet. Is there an image on this thread?

Daly Gun Nr. 27:

A.S. on crossbar

Encircled PB

I'm beginning to lean toward the possibility that the Scott serialized versions pre-date the Daly serialized. But still it would put Nr. 27 in the early to mid 1870s.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too, I wonder if the difference between the tubeset number & the serial number notes the quantity made before sequential serialization? Also, did the sequential serialization commence with H.A. Lindner in 1874? Or did H.A. Lindner carry forward a sequence that commenced prior to his hanging of his gunmaking shingle? If the above is indeed Nr. 27, and with the absence of Crown over Crossed Pistols, I'd say the latter.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't tell if it was colored or not. It's got to be one of the three processes, Blacked/Blued, Color Hardened, or Nitre Blued.

I was hoping someone would know, I understand that Winchester color hardened some of their buttplates, I'd like to know if it was used on shotguns. my Remington 1889 has a steel buttplate, but all color is gone on it as well.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:
I'd look toward the Scott sporting weapons of the time. Did they have butt-plates? If so, how did they prepare them externally. It is possible that the butt-plate was in the Gesteck/parts kit Daly purchased from Scott.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hermann Boker & Co. also imported/peddled Rail for short tracks and ran a Steel department. Their source was Funke & Elbers / Westphalian Wagon Company / Steelworks of Hagan or forges of Hagan Grünthal. F.A. Boker, Carl F. Boker(younger brother of Hermann Boker) & he is the steel magnet, Albert H. Funke, Hermann Funke and Hermann Funke, Jr. all were in upper management of the Hermann Boker & Co., which was dissolved in 1899. I am all but convinced that at least one Boker married a Funke or vice versa. But if Boker had those connections, just ponder what parts of the world were not within Schoverling, Daly & Gale's reach.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Ken:
I'd look toward the Scott sporting weapons of the time. Did they have butt-plates? If so, how did they prepare them externally. It is possible that the butt-plate was in the Gesteck/parts kit Daly purchased from Scott.
rse

Raimey, remember my Daly #15,251 has the serial number stamped on the steel buttplate, and all other parts, including the locks. The only exception is it is hand engraved on the tang of the trigger guard.

Incidentally, since the same serial number is stamped on the flat of the barrels wouldn't that indicate the barrels were stitched together by Scott? If so, Daly must have been really experimenting by having Scott braze the ribs on mine rather than solder them. Do any of the other 15,000 series have brazed ribs?

Last edited by Joe Wood; 08/24/14 10:54 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do Joe, but I think Ken's was made later than yours and did not have Scott's serial number sequence. What's the exterior/surface of the steel buttplate on it & your similar Scott?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The buttplate is very old and seemingly original nickel plated as is the triggerguard and triggerplate. Engraving underneath is still very sharp and clean which leads me to believe original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey & Joe,

That's a new wrinkle. So, four possible methods to color the buttplate, now that plating is added. Joe, how is your other Daly buttplate colored? Can you tell?
Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, not sure I understand the question. It is nickel plated. Sorry I do not have a current photo and its not available for photo right now.

Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.