March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seems to me, a certain someone is starting to hog those Amber Prizes

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep our fingers crossed for him; I know he is one of my favorites.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krag 1902
Keep our fingers crossed for him; I know he is one of my favorites.

Mine too!

We could call one "Jim of Lincoln" and the other "Jim of Paxton".

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, who is going to watch the bolt head turn when pumping the action for a second shot at a moving animal? Boltman, rifle was an origina .35WCF, found it at a Denver show on Weber's table, maybe five six years ago, said he was bored one winter had the rifle with damaged stock and a good walnut plank so went ahead and restocked it.

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting Mark. That probably means he still had the original stock too. If he was a packrat like me he would. As far as firing multiple shots, once you have established that the bolt is correctly assembled and fully travels into the front receiver ring and engages the locking lugs, it won't revert to having like a wrongly assembled bolt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never seen a Ross Rifle but have stumbled across a Ross which I have been told is a sporterised military 303 that needs a new barrel and is marked on the action.
Ross Rifle co. Canada M-10 Patented.
It also has an exposed magazine.
Because I had also heard about problems with the bolt I didn't want to know about it until I came across these post's extolling the virtues of the Ross.
I will see if I can get a copy of the 2002 Gun Digest from my local library to look up the review on these rifles and in the meantime can anybody tell me anything about about this rifle from the small amount of information I have given here and would this rifle action convert easily and be ok for the 220 Swift?
Anything in particular to look out for.
Regards.

Last edited by Nero; 04/26/09 04:41 AM.
Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nero - I am mainly a collector so I have been hoping someone else would jump in to answer your question. All of my Ross rifles are in their original chamberings. Over the years I have seen many Ross rifles made up in different standard and wildcat calibers. The .280 Ross cartridge is quite a potent number and holds a lot of powder. I mentioned the E. Crossman testing where he couldn't blow an M-10 action filling the entire .280 case with pistol powder (and greasing the case). The Ross action had the reputation as being one of the strongest out there. The one fly in the ointment, the mis-assembled bolt scenario would be no greater worry with a rifle chambered in .220 Swift vs. .303 British or .280 Ross. If somehow that happened, whatever the cartridge, the bolt would blow back into the shooter's face if the locking lugs failed to engage with the receiver. My best advice is to work with a knowledgeable gunsmith. There is the theoretical side of what you are proposing as well as the specific rifle you would be using. Both require proper evaluation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Boltman thanks for your reply,
since I wrote this post ar the weekend I have had a word with the gunsmith who has worked on a few projects for me over the last few years but he has never worked on a Ross before.
He reckons on finding another 220 Swift action if I must have a custom built 220 Swift.
I thought that with the Swift case being pretty close to the 303 at the rear end it might be a practical thing to do with this chopped around Ross Rifle.
Regards.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: mkbenenson
My favorite Ross story: Decades ago I was quite a straight pull fan, had all sorts, even a Steyr 95 .30-40 by Sedgley, looked just like a Sedgley Springfield except for the funny action in the middle of it. At one point I had a Ross 1905 .303 factory sporter and shot it a lot, being careful about bolt assembly. Was out at a New Jersey range one weekend and must have put a hundred rounds through it shooting military ammo as fast as I could. Got very hot. Emptied a magazine full and watched in amazement as the bolt head rotated and the bolt slid back part way. Sold that gun not long after !!! Still have a handsome .303 custom by John Dubiel, sold a .35WCF by Ed Weber last year.

I remember reading that somewhere a few years back and saving it on my computer.

Can you tell us more about this? At what point in the firing cycle did this occur? During the recoil or after? I assume the case came back out of the chamber as well?

Originally Posted By: mkbenenson
....I have the American Rifleman back to its beginning in 1923, the military were selling rifles to NRA members, and there was a good deal about them in the magazine. There is no doubt that bolts came out and injured several and maybe even killed one or two people. Unclear which model, clear that incorrect assembly was responsible for some incidents but there was a residue which left many folk wondering if even correctly assembled a bolt might come out.

That was also the conclusion of the authors of the Ross Rifle Story if I read it correctly.

There is a photo in that book of a number of 1905 bolt sleeves with blown out bolt stop lugs. I have one exactly the same myself that came out of a gunsmith's parts box. Unfortunately someone has messed around with the area of the fracture a bit, but it is clearly a fracture. The bolt stop lug and the portion of the sleeve it attached to are gone completely.

Last edited by Old Glass; 08/18/11 03:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Guys: I don't know if it is still there [hope it is for your sake![ but there is a Ross .303 British[Caliber] Sporterized [I assume originally military ...Checkering] on Guns International site FOR SALE BY WILDWOOD GUNS INC. of Maine inventory P-79 for $450. Sounds fairly nice for the money ...pictures are there. Good Luck!!! Jerry

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.