March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I should also point out that Ross later put a rivet through the bolt sleeve and into the bolt and this prevented the whole disassembly occurrence.

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WJW
Have a couple of 1910s, one in .303 British and the other a .280 Ross. Have tried to assemble these incorrectly and on these two you would have to beat the bolt with a heavy hammer to get the bolt in any distance. The same applies to others I have handled.

Some early Ross rifles were also manufactured in England by, if memory serves, Lancaster.

Bill

Bill - you correctly point out that it is not easy to get a Ross to accept an incorrectly assembled bolt. This is one of the reasons the reports of mishaps have been controversial. Ross himself thought it was appropriate Darwinism and his comments on the matter were often not compassionate toward the victims of a bolt mishap.

As far as some of the early Ross rifles being manufactured in England, that is also subject to debate. There are sporters with Ross's name on them that came out several years before he put out his first catalog. The Lancaster marked Ross sporters are a good example and I will post pictures of one soon. Mine is marked Ross and it was made in Hartford Connecticut - as marked on the receiver. The barrel is marked Lancaster and there are British proofs on the barrel. I think the best explanation is that Ross sold the actions to Lancaster and I believe they made up the rifles to their specifications. I also have a Scotch Deerstalker done up by Westley Richards. I seriously doubt Westley Richards ordered a complete rifle from Ross and threw the barrel and stock away. Rather, I am confident Ross sold the action (or the barreled action) and they made up the rest of the rifle. More to come.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman, you may have seen my for sale ad on auctionarms.com for a .35WCF 1905 stocked by Ed Weber. Last year. Useless to me as it had about a 15" pull, Iam 5'8" and to cut the stock would have left the butt too small on a hard kicker. 28". Bore was only VG+ I suffer from "perfect bore syndrome", I speculated about reboring to .405 but that would have made things worse. Got a note from the buyer that he was having good luck shooting it. Probably could still locate him in the computer if anyone wants to pursue the rifle.
I have the American Rifleman back to its beginning in 1923, the military were selling rifles to NRA members, and there was a good deal about them in the magazine. There is no doubt that bolts came out and injured several and maybe even killed one or two people. Unclear which model, clear that incorrect assembly was responsible for some incidents but there was a residue which left many folk wondering if even correctly assembled a bolt might come out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time I had a very nice M-1910 sporter in .280 Ross, it was a well made rifle of both workmanship and materials. I experimented with removing and taking the bolt apart in a attempt to put it together wrong. What I found out and no one who writes about these says is "All you have to do if you have the bolt out is when you replace it in the rifle LOOK DOWN and you can clearly see the bolt rotate into battery. If you did it wrong it will not rotate.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mark - was that an originally chambered .35 WCF M1905? I realize it had been restocked but were it an original chambering, I'd have been interested. I'm surprised I missed it. There's a few of us who follow any Ross rifles that come up for sale and generally let each other know when we spot one. I don't recall any mention of this one, but we don't have a perfect radar detection system. As far as the residue left beyond the bolts blowing out, you're right, it is there and really permeates to all models of Ross rifle. I try to remind people that the bolt heads on the sporters other than the M10/MkIII sporters cannot be turned the wrong way.

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
At one time I had a very nice M-1910 sporter in .280 Ross, it was a well made rifle of both workmanship and materials. I experimented with removing and taking the bolt apart in a attempt to put it together wrong. What I found out and no one who writes about these says is "All you have to do if you have the bolt out is when you replace it in the rifle LOOK DOWN and you can clearly see the bolt rotate into battery. If you did it wrong it will not rotate.

Mike - yes, this is an important point that should help assuage people's apprehensions a lot. I mentioned it earlier: "...watch closely as you push the bolt fully forward, you can easily see that it is full closing and the lock lugs are turning..." Also, in his excellent 2002 Gun Digest article, "The Model 1910 Ross: The Best Rifle in the World" Jim Foral describes the same observation. So yes, simply "LOOK DOWN" and watch the bolt close. There is no need for guess work or to wonder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Foral?? Seems i've heard that name somewhere. With all the cartoon names he could be posting on this thread ;-).

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Jim Foral?? Seems i've heard that name somewhere. With all the cartoon names he could be posting on this thread ;-).

Absolutely, he is often closer than one would think

Sidelock
Sidelock

He is nearby, even as we speak. Often the lurker, less than likely to post. His mother told him not to speak unless spoken to. Good advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose there is a reason for all the cartoon names(Nom De Net).

I've sort of given up on trying to remember them all. Word on the street is the next "Amber Prize" is going to "Krag 1902".

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.