March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The E-10 is contemporary with the M-10 Sporter. It was a somewhat more economical model and as you can see, it has an exposed magazine vs. the M-10's hidden magazine. The E-10 shares the same action as the M-10 and their military cousin, the Mark III. A frequent source of confusion among the later Ross rifles is the receiver marking - M-10. The M-10 Sporter was marked M-10 as were about seven other models. This E-10 is marked M-10 and the MkIII's were marked M-10. In fact, I recall when I purchased this rifle it was advertised as an M-10. As I explained to the seller that it was not an M-10 he was struggling with taking the opinion of someone he had never met vs. the rifle he was holding in his hands which was clearly marked, M-10!

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, how does it shoot?

Are these particularly strong or weak actions? I seem to recall hearing something about this issue and this rifle but don't recall. For those of us for which the name Ross means nothing whatsoever, can you describe a little bit of where the rifle was made, what its intended uses were, and whatever else might be pertinent (caliber etc)? It does look different - even to me.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice rifle. I am wondering do you have any qualms about shooting these given the horror stories? I know the incidents happened because the rifle was assembled incorrectly,but wonder if that gives anyone pause when firing one of these.I hear they are very accurate and nicely made.How many were produced in sporter configuration?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the problem with the Ross was not a question of strenght for the designed cartridge but the fact that it was easy to re-insert the bolt incorrectly after removal causing, shall we say a few "problems". Had one for a few years never had a problem. Perhaps some one more knowledgable will chime in. --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 1910 Model 280 Ross would blow back its bolt, but only if the bolt had been disassembled and re-assembled incorrectly. It did happen, but it was rare. I've got a Model 10 that I shoot with entire confidence, but the first time I shot it was not from the shoulder. One can make cases out of belted magnums of the proper length. I use 375 H&H. Though the original 280 Ross had a bit of a rim, the magnum cases work wonderfully.
TYhat's a nice E-10 there, Boltman. I'm jealous.

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The rifle is a .303. I do have qualms about shooting it, but only because I am a collector and it is in nearly new condition. I'm not a big fan of shooting nearly new 100 year old rifles when lesser specimens can be shot. The Ross M-10/MkIII action is one of the strongest ever made. To compare it to a modern action, with its multiple locking lugs it most closely resembles the Weatherby MKV action. Around 1915, E. Crossman did some destruction type testing on Ross, Mauser and other actions. One method of attempted destruction testing was to fill the Ross case (.280 Ross case - about the same case capacity as the 7mm magnum) with pistol powder. He was meticulous in filling the case, tamping it down to pack more powder in etc. until it was as full as he could get it. He then loaded a bullet and also GREASED the case. He could not get the action to blow (not the case with the other actions he tested). So, it is ironic that there is persisent mythology about the Ross action being weak. With regard to the bolt blowing out, this is specific to the M-10/MkIII action. It was primarily reported in the military service of the MKIII - not any of the previous Ross Sporters or military rifles. It was reported that if you disassembled the bolt and then reassembled it incorrectly, with enough force you could push it forward into the action. As the bolt was reassembled incorrectly, it would not engage the locking lugs. Supposedly, a chambered cartridge could be fired and as the bolt locking lugs were not engaged, the bolt would shoot straight back (into the shooter's face). This is not something I fear at all. I say this because it is very easy to know if your bolt is engaging or not. If you watch closely as you push the bolt fully forward, you can easily see that it is full closing and the locks lugs are turning. By the way, nearly all Ross rifles were made in Quebec, Canada. Some early ones were made in the United States, or at least the receivers were. I can post some pictures of these as well. The intended use of the sporters was big game hunting. The .280 Ross caliber, of Charles Ross' design of course, was intended to shoot point blank to about 600 yards without sight adjustment. I have talked to several hunters who have hunted with .280 Scotch Deerstalkers and they report phenomenal accuracy and performance. As I have stated, this cartridge was way ahead of its time. Here were are, 100+ years later and I can't think of a cartridge of close bore size that is a significant improvement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite Ross story: Decades ago I was quite a straight pull fan, had all sorts, even a Steyr 95 .30-40 by Sedgley, looked just like a Sedgley Springfield except for the funny action in the middle of it. At one point I had a Ross 1905 .303 factory sporter and shot it a lot, being careful about bolt assembly. Was out at a New Jersey range one weekend and must have put a hundred rounds through it shooting military ammo as fast as I could. Got very hot. Emptied a magazine full and watched in amazement as the bolt head rotated and the bolt slid back part way. Sold that gun not long after !!! Still have a handsome .303 custom by John Dubiel, sold a .35WCF by Ed Weber last year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years back, I had a nearly new 1910 Ross in .280, fitted with a Lyman Alaskan. I wonder if it was ever fired, either before or after the scope was fitted. I had laid hands on a box of 160 grain jacketed .288" bullets, but had no luck (or maybe good luck) in finding cartridges. My sons and I disassembled the rifle on a large table. I told my sons about the Ross horror stories. My youngest, with a MS in mechanical engineering but zero interest in rifles, put the bolt together and took it apart a half-dozen times. He said "There are a lot of nice rifles out there, Dad. Please get rid of this one."

WJW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a couple of 1910s, one in .303 British and the other a .280 Ross. Have tried to assemble these incorrectly and on these two you would have to beat the bolt with a heavy hammer to get the bolt in any distance. The same applies to others I have handled. I know of others that have been used extensively that are rebarreled to 7mm Weatherby Magnum, .300 H & H Magnum and .338 Winchester Magnum. There have been no problems in any of these. It is interesting that the same principle used in the Ross mechanism is also used in a number of "modern" self loading and a pump action rifle.

Also have a 1905 - in this rifle the bolt cannot be inserted incorrectly as the extractor will not let the front of the bolt turn to the left when the bolt is removed from the action.

Some early Ross rifles were also manufactured in England by, if memory serves, Lancaster.

Bill

Boltman Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mark - your range experience must not have completely turned you away from Ross rifles. In fact, if I recall correctly I think I saw you bid on a Ross on auction within the last month or two ;)? I have never heard of a bolt blowing back out of any Ross other than the M-10/MkIII. The inside of the bolt is engineered like a "Yankee screwdriver" and it is possible that spring broke in your bolt. I was interested to hear of your rapid-fire experience with the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.