April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, KDGJ, smlekid, griz, rtw, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am getting my son to load me some lite loads.any Ideas or recipes
Monty

monty
JBG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 55 pieces of once fired Norma. If you are interested email me at jim.gallagher@nationstarmail.com

Originally Posted By: jeweler
I am getting my son to load me some lite loads.any Ideas or recipes
Monty

You can order Hornady brass here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowsePr...**670***9013***

Monty:

You said your rifle is a double. I assume you're new to them. It isn't a single barrel rifle, so don't try to treat it like one. Everything changes.

Double rifles are wonderful general purpose hunting rifles. Much of their beauty is in their simplicity. They're regulated for one standard (full power) load. In handloading for one, once you've duplicated the load it was regulated with, you're set. All you have to worry about is that one load, and two bullets - soft and solid - in that one weight. Absent hunting thick-skinned dangerous game, you'll have no need for the solid. Don't start out trying to make light loads work. Barring luck, they won't regulate and will only frustrate you. Yes, reduced loads can be made to work in some double rifles, but that's for later. To start, you need to find the load it was regulated for.

Here's some load data:

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=9.3mm&s=334

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp Just select "rifle" and "9.3X74R"

Since most 9.3X74Rs were regulated with the 286 grain bullet, but not all, I'd start with that weight. I've used 62 grains IMR 4350, and Federal 210 primers with both the Woodleigh and Hornady 286 grain bullets. Also, 65 grains IMR 4831. Woodleigh and Hornady 9.3 bullets are available from Midway and Huntington Die Specialties.

Start a few grains low, and work up shooting over a chronograph. Don't fire multiple rights and then multiple lefts. Fire in pairs in right/left order (that's the order they're regulated with). Note where the rights strike relative to the lefts. Generally, if they consistently strike wide (right on right and left on left, several inches apart), velocity is too low. If they cross (right on left and left on right), the velocity is too high. Assuming 65cm (23.6" barrels), if the barrels are still wide at 2350 fps, STOP, and try another powder. With 286 grain, expect regulation between 2200 and 2300 fps. Perfect regulation puts the rights on the right and the lefts on the left 3/4" apart at 50 yards.

Like I said, everything changes. When handloading for these flanged double rifle cases in drop-down barrel actions, you can't use conventional pressure signs to keep you out of trouble. By the time they appear, you're over proof pressure. I never attempt load development in a double rifle without a chronograph.

Use jacketed lead core bullets in your rifle. DON'T use monometal bullets (Barnes X, etc.). The risk of irreparable damage is too great.

Correct bench rest technique for a double rifle is different as well. Place your sand bags in front of you. Hold the rifle just as you would when shooting off-hand. Grip the barrels (not the fore-end) in the forward hand, and rest the back of the forward hand - not the gun - on the bags. Use no other rest. Just rest your elbows on the top of the bench with hand towels underneath them. Do not use a rest under the butt. Not as steady as what you're used to using with a single barrel rifle, but the double must be allowed to recoil in exactly the same way it does when fired off hand, or you're wasting your time.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

nitro
you may have saved me a lot of time,or my son.He likes to tinker and I just like to shoot.
Monty

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

For 9.3x74 brass, you might want to go over to Accuratereloading.com and put an ad up in the classifieds.
There are quite a few (lots actually) gentlemen there who run that cartridge and my gut says that's the place to find a 'hey neighbor' deal on brass for your rifle.

If your son really enjoys fiddling and ends up catching the double rifle bug - suggest to him that he find a pinfire double rifle in decent shape and get it running. Short of needle-fire or home-brew teat/rimfire, I can't imagine a better outlet for his cartridge/handloading itch.
I haven't had a more fulfilling handloading experience than the ground-up (tooling/brass/mould/regulation) re-animation of my 20b SxS Purdey. I highly recommend it!

Let us know when you get your rifle up and running.
Unless there's something funny about your rifle, it should be pretty easy to get a good load going for it.
I can't wait to see the photos!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Tinker
I am having to wait due to haveing it imported which sounds like it is going to be exspensive and take some time to get it here.My son is ready for me to pay double to get it here quick.
Monty

Wish it was a purdey maybe when we climb out of this recession

Last edited by jeweler; 05/08/09 11:01 PM.

monty

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.