May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, Lawrence Kotchek, Hoot4570, AGS, 1 invisible), 671 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,411
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just an isolated horror story, but it is what happened the only time I used 'registered mail': The tracing feature failed to work at all and showed the gun still at my post office two weeks after mailing. The local PO said they had the signature proving it went to Atlanta. What actually happened was the gun made it all the way to it's destination PO (Cleveland), but the clerk who signed for it put it in a locker without signing it in and left for a vacation. Nobody knew where the gun was, and the guy I sent it to was beginning to question my good faith. Anyhow the clerk returned to work and the gun was delivered, finally...Geo

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My insurance company- Insure Collect- requires USPS for guns over $12,000. Fed X is the second teir with UPS comming in last as to coverage from the insurance carrier.

As with any common carrier i have found that proper packaging is the most important aspect. Any of the carriers can calim"improper packaging" and leave you at risk.

I know a good many use the plastic molded cases for shipment. I have chosen heavy double box corregated and have had zero damage or loss using all three carriers.

With UPS and Fed X you do not declare contents.

al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
They'll have it at the post office, just take it in ready except for the tape and they'll let you have all you need. I'd agree that registered mail (though slow) is the way to go here.

DLH

I couldn't find the required U.S. Gubmint Regalashun brown tape at any post office within 15 miles. They did have a lot of stuffed animals from China, though. I found the tape at a Staples 25 miles away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never shipped a registered package that they didn't have the special tape available. Just shipped one last week, I was out of tape, they handed me a roll right over the counter along with the sponge dish to dampen it with. Maybe they don't all have it anymore but the ghetto post office in Ypsi, MI sure still does.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Fed Ex Ground for all gun shipments except overseas (where I use USPS). I have shipped over 100 guns in the past year and have never had a problem even with the few that were returned. I pack them in a big box with plenty of cushioning and have Fed Ex put a lot of "fragile" stickers on the outside. As was said above Fed Ex no longer has you declare the contents and I believe that keeps the thieves away. Most arrive in one to three days.

Just My Humble Opinion......... George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year my shotgun, sent via registered through the USPS, took over two months to be delivered. It was delivered in good shape but there were absolutely no answers forthcoming from them regarding their in-house tracking system until right at the end of that debacle. They kept telling me they had no idea where it was. About 4 or 5 days prior to it arriving my contact started telling me it was going to get there any day now.........I have no idea what happened to this day but it was a nightmare for a while. And I missed pheasant season!

Last edited by Bob Blair; 04/17/09 06:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

THE US MAIL PAYS INSURANCE CLAIMS. FEDEX AND UPS DO NOT.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used USPS for years. Of the last 3 guns, 2 have been returned for a bad address. The address was correct. One gun came back and was resent and came back again. There are no refunds and the gun was in transit for over 2 weeks. I've used USPS for the last time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The old pony express was faster than registered mail.

I shipped a gun by registered mail once due to reading on this forum that it was the safest way to go. After two weeks and not being able to track the package I swore I'll never ship registered again. I'll pay the extra and ship next day just so it will get there with the least amount of handling and I can track it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Use only USPS registered mail.
Joe

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.