May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sandlapper, Tim Carney, bushveld, steve f, CJF, Chuckster), 210 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,535
Posts545,979
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi,

I was hoping to see if anyone could share any successful BP load data for goose/duck.

What I am loading for are two Parker 10 Gauge T models I want to take goose and duck hunting next year. To date, I have only been loading BP for upland game and in 12 guage...with great success I may add thank to my friends at Circle Fly.

My questions really surface as to what shot should I consider using in my damascus twist barrels. The load I am considering would be:
1. 4.5 Dram 2F
2. 1.5oz of ?

So should I consider Hevishot or something else? I need the non toxic shot to be compliant for waterfowl and friendly to twist steel/damascus barrels.

Also, has anyone else hunted waterfowl with 10 Ga BP? Curious of any results anyone has experienced.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Heavyshot might be somewhat hard on your barrel without some type of good shot cup.
I will be tying out the new ITX shot in #4 from Ballistic products in my 12ga. I just use a wax wad in the brass cases. They hold a much larger payload due to the thinner case walls.

Here is a pic of how the Bismuth worked in the brass cases.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty much your only options on shot are NiceShot or ITX right at the moment unless you can find some bismuth.

HeavyShot isn't selling their old gun friendly product (Classic Doubles) in anything but loaded shells. The new company that's loading bismuth is doing the same, only loaded ammo.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

1 1/4 oz of #2 bismuth over 4 drams of FFg in brass cases worked well for me in my 1883 Colt 10 ga. on Montana honkers last December.

I think the old colt could take a heavier load, but the recoil of 4 drams was enough for me and it seemed to kill geese as well as the 3 1/2 inch semi-auto guys I was hunting with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bismuth loads are always helpful but what would be more helpful would be a source for the shot. That stuff is getting like gold, there's just none available. A friend has resorted to buying old bismuth ammo and cutting it open to get the shot for reloading. He's managed to locate a couple places that had big stocks of 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge stuff they couldn't seem to sell and bought it semi-cheap.

Destry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used some itx shot on snow geese last week,inferior product for several reasons,I can't recommend it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've not used any of it yet but have heard good things. A friend did all his goose shooting here in Michigan with it this past season and said it was fine.

Give us a report, this is the kind of stuff I'm always interested to hear.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a Greener 10 bore G-gun that dislikes plastic shotcups,or heavy mylar wraps,but patterns great with card wads.Dave at BPI pressure tested some 2 7/8" loads for me with teflon wraps,(the stuff is abrasive)on calling me with the results he seemed a bit worried that the ends of the Federal cases were all ripped off!Apparently those little belts on the shot grab the case walls,and bring it with!
I got it to shoot(without destroying my cases),by using a double wrap of slick paper .005 thick,and backing off the powder a bit.

The other problem density,itx is about 25% lighter than lead.There are more #2 in an 1 1/4 oz. load than 1 1/2 oz. of bismuth,takes up to much room in the case and does not maintain enough energy at the ranges we shoot snows at.I loaded my right barrel with itx and the left with bismuth,same size shot(#2) and same choke(very full).The result--one snow with the itx,a head shot,and about six with bismuth,I switched to all bismuth for the remainder.

I would like to add I have nothing against BPI,I am glad they supply us with the stuff we need,I just don't care for their shot!Your results may vary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting, good to get real field reports on these new products.

I've just broken down and purchased a 10 gauge loader. Will be trying out some various loadings and getting them tested by Armbrust.

The ITX supposedly does the plier crush test about like the other double gun friendly shots. Where did you hear that it was too abrasive to use without cups or wraps?

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rub a pellet on a piece of steel.I do think it is soft enough,it flattens on my steel pattern plate.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.