April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim:

I agree with you.

Hack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am going to try to illustrate my experience with an exageration.
Imagine that your stock was cut or angled at a 45 degree angle from the heal to the toe (I know nobody would ever do that. if you mounted that gunstock it would point high in the air because the flat of the stock would be in your shoulder and that is at a severe angle. That is an exageration of what I found on a svererly pitched gun that I had and fixed. At 1st when I would mount it lots of rib visable due to the pitch, it is now the gun I shoot the best of my guns.
Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your cheek was on the comb, the gun would not be affected by the pitch. It could not point "high in the air" unless your cheek went with it. The amount of rib visible is also dependent on where your cheek is, not on the amount of pitch. Both situations are dependent on the comb height, not the pitch.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I respectfully disagree, but do understand what you are saying and see your point. I think you could overcome the dramatic pitch with radical head / neck angle (to be level with rib).
I agree with you on most normally pitched gun stocks it does not come into play.
Jeff G.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting, and makes sense to me at least in theory. I went back to check, and found I had remembered a bit differently than what I read...here's what Yardly has to say in "Gunfitting":
Quote:
Pitch is usually downwards in modern guns (positive pitch, however, is frequently seen in muzzleloaders and nuetral or positive pitch in some trap guns). With a gun set up for game shooting or sporting clays, an average pitch-down measurement for a SxS would be about 4 degrees or 2 inches, and a little more, 5-6 degrees or 2.5-3 inches for an O/U. Less pitch than this may, practically speaking, make a gun shoot high, because pitch affects the way the gun is mounted.

It seems to be saying essentially the same as others here have detailed, but although I did not find it just now he does go on to say that others who have tested this have not found that it makes much difference, especially with a premounted gun.

Would different styles of shooting cause one person to be more susceptible to being affected by pitch than another?

Last edited by David Furman; 04/17/09 09:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

David: An exagerated lean would require a different pitch than an upright stance

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That also makes sense, but what I was getting at was whether different shooting or mounting styles would affect whether one persons actual point of impact is affected by the pitch of their stock, while another person is not affected by changes in pitch beyond comfort?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We may soon be having some discussion over the application of the words positive and negative to this issue. I thought negative pitch was when the gun put its butt on the floor, its front bead on the wall, and its breech stood away (in other words an included angle between bore or rib and butt of greater than 90 degrees BICBWBT. Probably should be left the way it is above as "positive" denotes some benefit and I think an included angle less than 90 by a few degrees is what most of us (laymen, fitters, charlatans) consider salutary to good mounting and shooting. I have no idea at all how "dowager hump" trapshooting postures work but it would appear full pocket contact might be achieved by a different whack to the back and then still not work very well to anchor the gun in one place (if the surface of the pocket and the butt are in sheer than I'd think movement of the butt downward would sure raise the POI) BWDIK.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Jack. Positive pitch is down, negative pitch is less than zero, or up.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 04/18/09 02:27 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think that fits with the above?

Positive pitch=down pitch=breech touching/muzzles away from wall=heel long/toe short=shoots lower if you buy the argument that pitch effects POI.

Negative pitch=pitch up=bead touching wall/breech away from wall=toe long/heel short=shoots higher if pitch effects POI.

Right?

This is confusing to talk about.

Last edited by David Furman; 04/18/09 07:21 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.