May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (battle, rocky mtn bill, bigblock, ClapperZapper, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 1,012 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,552
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1423 09/15/06 09:52 PM
CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To determine whether or not to restore an old and used (but not abused) classic gun. This gun is on face, tight, choked right enough, fine bores and solid wood. But I'm really itching to restore it to it's former 'factory' appearance -plus- . Maybe upgraded wood and reCC, reblue and polish some metal scratches out. Can't shoot it worth a lick so maybe a higher comb/DAH and a little cast. Hey, a period pad would be nice huh? I've got a bunch of others I can keep original and what do I care what you guys buy from the wife once I'm pushing up daisys. Or not.

#1424 09/15/06 10:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If your gut says do it then don't worry what anyone here thinks. I'm working on mine because I want what I want. Maybe when there are no good original sterlingworths left an original will be worth twice what they are worth now. Those who have them will owe those of us who upgrade a thank you for makeing theirs worth so much more.

Bill G.

#1425 09/15/06 10:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I now own six Sterlingworths, all of which will be up-graded. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
#1426 09/15/06 11:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's made it this far without any 'glory'.

I'd find one I could shoot 'worth a lick' and then spend some money on it.
L.F.

#1427 09/16/06 12:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

CT,
If it flips your trigger, do what you like. You've been around this board long enough to make an educated decision on what type of work you should do on a gun. Take this one for example. I'm betting you're thinking of holding true to the original in most ways, but make it fit you and shoot well. I'm also guessing you'll make all the finishes like the original. I believe Oscar mentioned that the very early Sterlingworths were charcoal casehardened as opposed to the later Fox guns which got molten cyanide salt casehardened. Likely someone like Researcher can nail down whether your's was charcoal or cyanide hardened.

#1428 09/16/06 02:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

1911-1912 pin gun, charcoal colors. Been thinking about upgrading one of mine to look like a Parker AA. Should drive my Parker shooting buddies nuts to have their engraving on my FOX gun. Would violate every sense of edicate that they have.

Only question is how much do you want to sink into this project? You could get into the $3,000 range real fast if you did all that you listed. If you did some of the work you could cut this down by half easy. Period pads are over rated in my book. Go for a leather covered one. They look nicer and are better when done right.

Make a list of what you want to have done and think aobut it for one month. In the mean time get the best looking stock blank that you can find for the job. When you have the stock blank in hand it will give you all the inspiration that you need to start the job. No shortcuts, do it one slow step at a time and do it right. Too often I see great starts end up as petered out wantabes. You sound like you really want a first class gun so go for it. Damn pitty it is not a 20 though.

#1429 09/16/06 02:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

1. It must have 95%++ useful life left in the metal, ie. no gaps, rattlin, movement,....
2. Quality engraving is a must, no "stick-style" engraving!
3. Most important: IT MUST HAVE EXTRA WOOD TO SHAVE OFF IF PRN! Think custom fit here, like in those PB SO guns that have that stump you can have shaped to your dimensions.
Here is a perfect example of clay/pigeon buster:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=8850
PS. One of a kind, or rare is preferred, I like to steal the show.

#1430 09/16/06 04:09 AM

I'm reacting more to the fact that you've put forward a choice already and that is the old Sterlingworth you picture. Where you go with it depends on which way you want to go - - and this is often predicated on how much money you want to spend.

Taking a modest route, in round figures and assuming good barrels, figure $275 on rust blue and $175 for CC. Personally doing your barrel prep and polishing your receiver following annealing could tilt these prices in your favor. You would probably need to shop for these prices, but that's all part of the process - -( ask us for recommendations, etc.) Last, keep in mind, too, that I'm theorizing doing this work on a Sterlingworth which carries only modest border engraving. Depending on how extensive receiver polishing needs are, you might have to have the engraving sharpened up, along with the name. All these things cost more.

The wood part has always been the big bad bear for me. If you feel you could work with your existing wood, then removing oil stains, repairing cracks, adding a pad of choice and, as necessary and feasible, bending your buttstock for a better fit followed by stock refinishing might lead to a satisfactory result. If your checkering requires re-cutting, then wood related refurbishments will cost more. Assuming, though, that you can do some of this work and don't opt for a leather covered pad, then $400, not counting re-checkering costs, seems a working figure.

Bore and choke work, action repair, and all the other insideous little things that can pop up are all extra, too. (Jagermeister's input about starting with a gun in good condition makes sense here.) These things just have a way of coming to the surface when you're into the project. But in sum and to provoke discussion, lets say that a thousand bucks put out for competent work and parts should leave you with a very credible gun that will shoot where you point and be a pleasure to look at when the birds aren't flying.

If this approach is too modest, then I'd carefully consider Jon's ideas because he's been there.

#1431 09/16/06 10:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two SWs one of which will accept both barrels. I am waiting to have it engreaved and will get it restocked to my odd dimensions as money will allow. I will open the chokes up on one set of barrells to 10 $ 25 or 5 & 15 and leave the others mod and full. It will reside in its case mostly and be brought out for late season doves to make me feel like a victorian gentelman.

#1432 09/16/06 07:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out this bew'tiful restoration.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976772367.htm

This master gunsmith must work really cheap ?

#1433 09/16/06 07:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah ----- here we go with the old propane torch "Again." Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
#1434 09/16/06 07:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Jon gets my vote re. what to do . I think you should rebuild this S/W up to what YOU want it to look like --- the heck with what others think. I could never afford the beautiful guns I saw so learned to do the work myself. You most certainly save a bunch od loot if you prep a gun yourself ! Definitely have the action & external screws annealed prior to polishing. A little lighjt work with a file before hand polishing with wet or dry paper will really go a long ways towards establishing good crisp edges/lines. I personally feel the S/W looks even better/cleaner with the wiggly border and name removed but thats only my opinion. I would be happy to talk to you and explain how I go at it step by step if you care to call . Ken 910-221-5288 EST

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
#1435 09/16/06 08:59 PM
CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thankyou to all of you respected gentlemen for your valued guidance. To be honest I've already had an late A grade choked from M/F to IC/M. Sure makes a dandy appearance on the skeet field and shoots respectably. But boy the guilt trip is tough to kick. Yes, this is the gun thats causing all this consternation on my part and yes my inclination is to keep it as close to original in appearance as possible. Cost isn't really part of the decision. What I can't do I can have done by close friends in the custom gun building business. Ken, perhaps Bill Simmens is a name you might recognize. Probably will do it. Thanks again all. Chuck T.

#1436 09/17/06 01:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The American gun collector has made his bed, with the all original gun dancing in his head. I'll keep my Phila. Sterlingworth and AE in the shape they're in.
They are, after all, field grade guns - the very reason I bought them for in the first place.
They have a magic all their own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.