May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, playing hooky, 2 invisible), 1,077 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

My grouse guns:

2"Arietta 12 w/ 27" bbls, 6lbs
2 1/2" Geo. Hinton 20 bore w/ 28" bbls. 5 1/2 lbs.
2 1/2" Midland 12 bore Zephyrweight w/ 28" bbls. 6 lbs.5 oz.
Beretta BL 4 20 ga. w/ straight stock and 28" bbls. 5 3/4 lbs.

They all are open choked and a joy to carry. I want not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have enough trouble carryin' just one gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack,
Been to Pine county once this year, and moved four grouse in 2 hours, and got one. The pheasants have been spectacular this year, and my English Setter, "Knuckle Head" is more at ease with them, so, that is where we have been. I have pulled the trigger on the first tube in the Tobin five times and been rewarded with four birds, one of my best years, average wise, ever.

I wasn't born here, but, can report that I never wear a glove on my shooting hand (left) when hunting, regardless of temp. I had the Michael Jackson look down years before he did! Just keep moving, and everything is fine. Must be my Colombian born wifes coffee.

Good hunting, everybody. I know that some of you use a 21, I just don't know why, but, enjoy the trip anyway. Since Klunk is gone, somebody has to man the "butt ugly 21" station, and I guess it's my turn.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty big shoes Ted's trying to fit into. Seems to me Pete's are the better fit.

It is really about the hunting, and I'm late getting started to western Minnesota where my springers have a date with a couple of long-spurred roosters. Can't keep from smiling!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, Russ was a little, teeny guy....
Best,
Ted

Boxlock
Boxlock

My main grouse and woodcock gun has been these last several years a Citori Lightning Feather in 12 g fitted with Skeet 1/Skeet 2, but this wee 20 g Winchester 101 fixed with Skeet/Skeet may just get more use.

jmcg

"Tucker will find those birds"
homer Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How could i have been so stupid as to think that i should carry a couple extra ounces and have the strongest double ever made when i could have been carrying a gun that shot itself off face in no time if not spoon fed a special diet of light loads. But ive seen the error of my way now, I cant wait to throw this doggone 21 in the garbage -a bazillion rounds through her and tight as a safe.

h
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Missouri Conservation dept.(MM wrote for the magazine) traded our turkeys for Indiana Grouse. Within a year or so, these birds were shotout - most likely by backwoods types toting Remy 870 Sportman models.

jcj Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have hunted grouse for more than thirty-five years. In that time I have owned a bunch of guns in search of the best grouse gun for myself. This choice is a very personal thing. What I've found is the ones that work best for me are not too light and not too heavy. I like a stock that is a little shorter in length of pull than what I am supposed to shoot and prefer 28" barrels. I also like very little choke constriction as I shoot over pointing dogs and seldom have a shot of more than 25 yards.

My most effective grouse gun was a 12 gauge, Webley & Scott with 28" barrels. It weighed 6lb 3oz. and was bored 003 & .007. My second most efficient grouse killer was an original Ruger Red Label choked SK/SK that weighed about 7lbs. Close to the Ruger was a custom stocked M21, 20 gauge.

My least effecient gun I've shot is a Peter Chapman of London, 20 gauge sidelock that weighs 5lb. 3oz. It's just too light and whippy even when grasping the gun with the minnimum of grip pressure.

My grouse hunting partner thinks his custom stocked model 21, 20 gauge is the ideal grouse gun. His weighs under 6-1/2lbs and is bored IC/M. I've watched him kill a whole bunch of grouse over the years and this gun is very lethal in his hands.

I recently started shooting a 20 gauge Browning Superposed "Lightning" choked sk/sk. It's proving to be an effective bird gun too. It weighs between 6-6-1/2lbs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of my favorites include: a 6.25# 20 ga M21 WS1/WS2 (may heaven help me), a 5# ASEL20 IC/M, model 42s choked skeet or mod, a 6# Daly/Sauer BLNE .008/.030. And, of course, there's the 48AL 20 ga that lives in the truck.

Things I will not use: anything I have not pattern tested.

Sam

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.