May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (12boreman, Themauserkid, bushveld, Tamid, 2 invisible), 232 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,015
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW: Nice Bernard pattern on those barrels http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_108gj6wxpcf

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks ellen for reply! The EB is on the right barrel close to the center where both barrels come together. The location is between the to (release mounts?) about 2" away from the 166 marking, about two and a half to three inches from the butt end of the barrels.The hammers do not rebound after fired, they rest on the strikers. There doesn't appear to be any other markings where the receivers and barrels meet other than the gold ornamental markings that you can see in the pictures.
Do you have any idea what the (No. 318) signifies on the end of the trigger guard? Any idea on a ball park figure as far as the value? Like i've said earlier, I know Very Little about firearms and may be interested in selling it in the future.
Thanks again,
Perry

Sidelock
Sidelock

perry g,

Those barrels were very expensive. They don't show up well in the photos, but they are Bernard damascus. I had to reduce them so Photobucket would accept the file size. Top of the line available in Belgium.

This is a price list from Ferdinand Drissen, 1898.

Bernard damascus

I believe Raimey is correct. The barrel tubes were sources in Belgium and the gun was made in Austria.

Pete

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks again Pete! good info to know. Can you tell what grade, #1, or #2
Perry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think "No. 318" is E.D.'s serial number sequence. There also appears to be a number on the lower rib just ahead of the forend lug and I now think I see where the "EB" mark could be between the forend lug and the "16.6" mark. I think the engraving is executed very nicely. In its day, late 1870s to 1880s, it had all the elements of a quality longarm BUT without some tube thickness measurements as well as how loose or tight the lockup is will greatly affect the price to be realized. I'd want to remove the locks and see if the stock is broken or cracked. And length of pull needs to be considered. What type cheekpiece does it have? But when it is closely examined, in my mind it conjures up examples by other Viennese makers like Matthias Nowotny, Johann Springer, Franz Neuber, etc. Regarding price to be realized: I'd get some parameter numbers together on the longarm, and then attempt to locate some comps at shows or on the net.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/27/09 09:24 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The lock up is extremely tight! that is one of the first things i noticed. Barrels are smooth inside, and the thickness seems to be close to original.Stock is in good shape with no cracks or stress marks. The checkering is 21+ points. The esternal condition of the barrel is somewhat worn, but there is not dents. The cheek piece is close to a monte carlo stock and raised.
Much Aprreciated!!

Perry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Perry...looks nice.
You mention its nice n tight...It seems I can see a consistent gap between the barrels & standing breechthat goes around the Doll Head rib extension...like the barrels need pushing back a few thou'.
Or is it just a trick of the light??
That's not the end of the world of course, but should be fixed if this is indeed the case
Nice one
Franc

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I see what you mean. I never noticed that until you mentioned it. Like i've said earlier, I don't know much about guns. Is that much of a problem? The reason I say it's nice and tight is because there is no movement at all. I can't even force any play in it when i try. What would be involved in getting it fixed?
Thanks for the heads up!

Sincerely,

Perry

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have had very little info on manufacturer of this sxs shotgun. Does this mean that it is very rare? Was E. Wundhamer an actual gun manufacturer, or a gun smith. If E. Wundhamer was the gunsmith, then who was the manufacturer? I may have to sell it at some point because i just lost my job of 6 years. I hope i don't have to sell it, but if i do, what would be a good way to sell it and get a fair price? Anybody have any idea about a ballpark value?

Sincerely,

Perry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM

Anyone confirm or deny that the "Crown" over inverted "Crossed Scepters" is the mark of the Austro-Hungarian BundesHeer proofhouse? I've seen several military arms with the "Eagle BH" mark that had a crossed scepters stamp but the image quality was poor.

Regarding the maker, as I posted before, I think he was somewhat of a firearms merchant more so than a gunsmith. Many gunsmiths as the progressed in age made the transition from gunsmith to firearms merchant. He could have sourced much of the work out or received the longarm "in the white" and finished it or sourced the longarm with his name roll stamped on the rib. Rare? I don't know if I would state that and he may have only made, or had made, 320 longarms for instance. I think uncommon would be more in line.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/28/09 11:11 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.