May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, MrCrockett, SKB, 1 invisible), 697 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,506
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Run with the Fox:

FYI: I brought my Baker to Griffin & Howe on Monday and they told me that the Jostam spacer simply has to go.

They also said that fitting a nice pad a bit long to start is okay because its easy to take LOP off.

I listened to their advice and I am having a vintage Silvers fitted by them - Hard to wait!

Here are some pictures of the engraving on my Baker. It was for sale on Gunbroker last week but because of the underwhelming response I took it off before getting any bids. Now I am going to enjoy it myself.

Lou

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were looking for a short stock, I would grind the base until it looked good, possibly bevel the edges a little, and shoot it that way. I have had guns with this base before and have not had any trouble with the nails pulling out. I would never consider cutting the wood for a Silver pad to get my short stock. I think I looked at the gun on gunbroker but don't remember what the pricing details were. If you really wanted to sell it, give it another chance. I have a friend who collects Baker singles but he probably didn't see the ad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lou,
If you are going to dispose of the old Jotsom pad, I would like to talk to you about it.
Thanks,
Chris
hiflyer34@hotmail.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

I may also be interested, if it is the pad with spacer. Chris asked first, so he's "at bat" but I'm in the "on deck circle" if he passes?? Opening Day- 2 weeks and change- Red Sox will repeat and the Bambino's curse will fade away like his 60/1927!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

And Mr. Bushmaster almost every one here gives same advice to remove base also same advice from G & H but you thank only RWTF?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nitro Express
And Mr. Bushmaster almost every one here gives same advice to remove base also same advice from G & H but you thank only RWTF?

Thanks to all for the advice about removing the Jostam.

With the Jostam base removed and the Silvers ground down a bit if necessary the LOP will be fine if not perfect. I do NOT plan on cutting the stock.

Note, I thanked RWTF for saying he liked my Baker. I had received some bad attitude about it on another forum.

Here is a comparison of my Baker to the Baker Elite in the Cody (See page 40 of Frank Conley's book, The American Single Barrel Trap Gun). The historian at the Cody told me that the Cody Baker Elite came from Winchester in 1972 with a note that the engraving and the checkering was by Ruldolph Kornbrath. My gun is within 125 serial numbers of the Cody Baker and the checkering looks the same. Engraving on my Baker looks a little more detailed, but that might just be because the detail was lost in the photo from the book. Now that I am getting my Baker fixed up to shoot I will not be trading or selling it for a while. If I determine that my Baker, with its long LOP and 34" barrel is too big for me after I shoot it I will consider a Winchester 21 trap as a trade.

My Baker Elite:

Baker Elite at the Cody:

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/17/09 08:31 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For now I am going to go with putting a Galazan reproduction of an original Baker butt plate.

Only .388 inches thick and it can go on directly over the Jostam base.

I found out that the Baker Elite in the Cody has a Baker Butt plate.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/19/09 12:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
it can go on directly over the Jostam base

------------
Lovely gun!
But if you're going to do something traditional to the butt why leave a red line spacer in the design?

Last edited by Yeti; 03/19/09 01:18 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to keep the gun and shoot it. Therefore I need some type of pad.

Unfortunately, the Jostam is attached by a myriad of tiny nails close to the edge.

I am concerned that the stock could be damaged during their removal.

As a compromise, I am having the thin pad put over the Jostam. this will let me shoot it and I can still appreciate its good looks! If I find an original Baker plate I will think about removing the Jostam, but most likely I will leave that for the next owner.

Here is a picture of the Galazan reproduction:

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/19/09 04:15 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found out that the glue to use is Rubber Cement

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.