May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, 2 invisible), 638 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,605
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The enclosed link looks to be an extremely comprehensive presentation of what is known about lead impacts to wildlife.

NEWS RELEASE
For immediate release
Feb. 19, 2009

CONTACT
Susan Whaley, public relations coordinator
(208) 362-8274 direct
(208) 860-2641 cell
(208) 362-3716 main

Now available online: Proceedings from conference, ³Ingestion of Lead from Spent Ammunition: Implications for Wildlife and Humans²

BOISE, Idaho - Research on the effects and risks of lead exposure from spent bullet fragments and shot is now available online.

The documents are proceedings from the conference, ³Ingestion of Lead from Spent Ammunition: Implications for Wildlife and Humans,² convened May 12-15, 2008, by The Peregrine Fund, Boise State University, Tufts Center for Conservation Medicine, and the US Geological Survey. The conference for the first time brought together professionals in wildlife and human health to share information on the toxic effects of this source of lead contamination.

Conference attendees offered a relatively easy solution: switch to non-lead bullets and shot. Such ammunition is available in most popular calibers and is considered by many hunters to be as good as or better than traditional lead ammunition. Experts said manufacturers will respond to demand, thus solving the problem.

Individual papers may be downloaded at:
http://www.peregrinefund.org/Lead_confe ... edings.htm <http://www.peregrinefund.org/Lead_conference/2008PbConf_Proceedings.htm>

An overwhelming weight of evidence presented at the conference shows that:
· Lead is toxic. It sickens and can kill at high levels of exposure, but even near the lowest detectable levels, lead has measurable health effects, including reduced IQ in children and increased risk of death from heart attack and stroke in adults.
· Lead from spent ammunition gets into people who eat game harvested with lead bullets or shot, with clinical effects among subsistence hunters. Effects among recreational hunters have not been adequately studied.
· Lead from spent ammunition gets into a wide variety of wildlife, including doves, swans, eagles, condors, and mammalian scavengers, regularly sickening and killing some.
· Non-lead bullets and shot are available as an alternative to lead for most uses.

The roughly 400 pages of the proceedings consist of more than 60 contributions from scientists and professionals in the fields of wildlife, health, and shooting sports. The conference documented evidence from around the world of:
· Effects of lead poisoning on wildlife that consume lead bullet fragments or lead shot when they forage.
· Lead exposure in people who eat game harvested with lead-based bullets or shot.
· Effects of lead on human health at minute levels that were formerly thought benign and currently are not recognized by many health agencies.
· Lead bullet fragmentation in game meat, extent of contamination of game meat from bullet fragments, and the potential for human exposure to lead from this source.
· Solutions to the problem of lead exposure from bullet fragments in both wildlife and people, with practical examples from Arizona and California where voluntary and legislative measures have been implemented on behalf of the California Condor, and from Germany and Japan on behalf of sea-eagles and human health concerns.
· Exposure to lead from other sources including fishing tackle, paints, and ceramics having significant negative health effects on wildlife and people.

The Peregrine Fund, a conservation group for birds of prey, convened the conference after a decade of research on wild California Condors in the Grand Canyon region of Arizona revealed that lead exposure from spent ammunition is the most important factor impeding the full recovery of the species in the area. The research also suggested that lead from spent ammunition could be a concern to people who eat game harvested with lead bullets or shot shells.

Efforts by the Arizona Game and Fish Department to encourage hunters to voluntarily reduce lead exposure of condors influenced 90% of hunters in the 2008 hunting season to use solid copper bullets as an alternative to lead-based ammunition or remove all remains of their harvest from the landscape. As a result, no condors died from lead poisoning this season.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the record, this is the same Ben Deeble, biologist with the National Wildlife Federation who has been leading the charge to banish lead shot and bullets in Montana. You might find it edifying to look up his message profile for this bbs.

Rob Harris

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For the record, Robert Harris is incorrect, and knows it.

What I posted above is the Proceedings of a conference held last year by the Peregrine Fund. I wasn't at the conference, and haven't read the entire set of over 50 reports yet. But I thought it would be interesting reading for the people here who want to know the state of research on lead impacts to wildlife, and alternatives to reduce lead releases into the environment.

Read the scientific reports and learn something....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grouse Guy your link doesn't work.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/05/09 11:08 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, Robert is not "incorrect".....which is why I asked any interested readers (and believe me, you'd have to be interested)to look up Mr. Deeble's message profile...mine for that matter, too). Covers everything from banning lead to Obama, which isn't too big a spread really. That's all I have to say on the matter, you fellows be the judge of what's going on here.

Robert Harris
Conner, MT

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/05/09 11:35 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Robt.Harris and AmarilloMike on this......

Regards,

Doug

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto with PA24.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Gents:

Maybe this link will work better for the copy-and-paste impaired....

http://www.peregrinefund.org/Lead_conference/2008PbConf_Proceedings.htm

Also, as chummy as schoolyard intimidation and book burning may make some of you feel, perhaps you should read some of the scientific reports rather than just snipe at the messenger?

For those that want to question my bona fides, I've been hunting since I was 10, reload and target shoot around 1000 high power rifle and shotgun rounds a year (mostly lead-based), and have been harvesting 50-150 wild upland birds, waterfowl and big game animals annually for the last 20 years (mostly steel/bismuth/copper ammo). I plan to continue both.

"Evolve or perish" whispered the bird to the dinosaur. The dinosaur should have listened.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like Grouse guy drank the same koolaid that Will S and OWD did and supports the "community oganizer in chief"

GG your NOT a fellow gun owner and should be treated as such.

I am with Robert Harris on this one NO SALE GG
Study is flawed and poster is too !

Last edited by Dave K; 03/05/09 12:46 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.