May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, mark, 1 invisible), 602 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,049
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Although Andrew McFarland is not working on Hacks gun, is he still doing gunsmithing? What part of Texas is he in?

Thanks,

JOhn

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all. I appreciate the information.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Turns out to be a 470XXX "Victor, N.Y.".
Absolutely beautiful NIB 28 gauge 26", Mod/IC, DT, Petite BTFE. Fit and finish without flaw.

Can anyone give me a production breakdown regarding gauge or configuration? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a Grade 4 28 bore in the dual digit 471xxx series...The gun is phenomenal!

The Krupps barrel as produced by Merkel are perfect and very robust. The receiver...if I recall correctly was made I believe in Belgium by VGM with USA made innards.

These late guns are about ten fold better than the 470 series Italian guns. The wood is stunning as is the engraving.

ICD was literally 5 miles form my house and I visited Steve Lamboy numerous times at the shop. Steve had numerous production issues with parts from Italy...Making working guns from them was often very challenging for his gunsmiths who were very talented.
(As an example; I cite an Italian supplied barrel set that I examined that had miss matched barrels...28 gauge bores with 20 gauge chambers.....like I said challenging!)

It is really sad that they went belly up. Steve is a good man and always wanted the best for his clients. Toward the end they guns they were turning out were really very nice.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Dave,
Gee, if the newer guns were only 9 fold better than the gun I just acquired, I'd feel ok about the acquisition. I guess all that's left is to split the barrels and stake up my tomato plants, use the receiver as a paperweight and burn the absolutely beautiful buttstock and forend wood to warm the home.
Now how about those production numbers. Thanks, Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Bob - 10 fold may have been an embellishment to get my point across...all the late guns were great cosmetics, strength and function...while some of the early ones would be (in my mind) questionable from a longevity standpoint all were very very pretty.

Like I said; The early Italian parts situation at ICD was very challenging but their gunsmiths were very good!

Both Andrew and Gunther made some fine pieces out of parts that others would have scrapped. Honestly, the time they spent getting each gun right was one of the contributing factors to the company’s demise.

PS - The tomato staking thing freaked me out...send me the wood it you decide on kindling it...;-)

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just picture it, blued steel barrels pounded into the ground with tomato plants fastened with that green gardeners tape.

Bob J. stated that only 500 were produced. If they were made in roughly equal runs, mine was at the latter end of the "Italian production". I've got 28 gauge Superposed, 28 gauge Winchester 21's, a 28 gauge Parker and the cosmetics of fit and finish seem as good if not better. What about the innards? Specifically, what are the issues?

If I sharpen 1 side of the buttplate by scrapeing it on the concrete sidewalk, i can use it to remove ice from my windshield on cold winter mornings. Thanks, Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
Don"t be down on your gun! The 470s are great guns and should function flawlessly while providing great enjoyment and pride of ownership. I have a 4E and a 7E early gun and they are great! I like them better than a late one that I have.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan seems to be aware of most of the "issues" with ICDs. Under no circumstance do you want to buy a Beschi gun as an investment. The parts were rejected by Steve as being inferior and who knows how and who assembled them.
I've seen, shot, and handled many of the gun both Italian and Krupp/VGM. I, currently own 5 (all Krupp) and Bob isn't far behind. These guns have received a lot of "bad press" on this and other forums. I have to believe that most of the people commenting on this issue have little experience with these guns and are far from experts. Dan, you're the exception. It sounds like you have dealt with problem guns.
Were there issues with some of these guns? Yes. The vast majority were well made and truly a bargain at current prices...try and find one. JTH Agency has one for sale, a Krupp gun for $6,500. This gun is a 20ga., 30"bbls, IC/Mod, PG with BTFE. The gun is perfect. Try and find something else out there at this price.
Parker Repros are commanding this kind of money and they were a production gun with issues of their own...a single trigger that doesn't work for one thing and "case coloring" that has the quality of finger paint for another. Somehow, these are always glossed over.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob Cash:
The Italian guns are, for the most part, just fine. My friend and hunting partner owns the only two 3Es (late Italian) made by ICD. They are a matched pair with consecutive serial numbers, 20/28ga.,28"bbls, SST, BTFE, ES, IC/Mod, and upgraded wood.
These are very, very nice guns and he actually hunts with them. I prefer the Krupp guns (lighter) in general but that doesn't mean that there aren't very nice Italian guns to be had.
The bottom line is that these guns, in any configuration, are bargains in comparison to what else is out there. Just be aware of the Beschi issue and stay clear of these guns.

Last edited by Tom28ga; 02/27/09 09:26 AM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.