May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (ClapperZapper, Argo44, eightbore, eeb, 2 invisible), 318 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,746
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

If Tom Roster says that the BSS (a Miroku) can get ring bulges, then I think the screw chokes are a good thing. Hopefully there's enough meat to install standard tubes.

Any gun can get ring bulges if you shoot steel and:

- large enough shot;
- large enough loads;
- hot enough loads;
- wads with thin enough petals; and
- the gun has tight enough chokes.

And, of course, the less wall-thickness you have in the choke section of the barrels, the more likely you are to have a problem.

Screw chokes bring on a whole array of possible problems. They get stuck, they come loose and let gas get behind them, bulging the barrel. They get lost or bent out of round. It is true that all these problems are the result of mishandling, but I would say the same thing about shooting steel in a fixed choked barrel -- do it right and you will not have a problem.

P.S. That doesn't mean I recommend steel. It kills fine but is bad about breaking molars.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a SxS Miroku for years with .010 and .020 with mostly steel BBs and #3s. Totaly unaffected.

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those are chome bores, right? Wouldn't that make it more problematical to just open up? I have one too and put tubes in it. Other than the factory boring, they are really good 'fowlers.

[IMG]

I'm with Shotgunjones and Postoak. I'd just go the TM and bismuth route. You'll get great performance - particularly from the TM - and I'll bet you net out in the black.

I purchased some Kent Tungsten-Matrix last week for $167 per hundred, and was informed (by Ballistic Products) that when their current supply runs out, the cost will be $310 per hundred, plus shipping.

After this season, I think I'll just maybe going back to steel shot. It just might be the time to boycott these non-toxic prices, as it just should not cost that much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.