March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, John E), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

We should probably start a 'Little Sure Shot' thread, but this is in Akehurst. She took instructions from H.A.A. Thorn, proprietor of Charles Lancaster when Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show visited England in 1887 and later wrote "Since using your guns, and receiving a few lessons from you at your splendid private shooting grounds, my shooting in the field has so much improved that I now always make a good score, even at fast and difficult birds. With many thanks for the pains you have taken in making me such perfect fitting and fine shooting guns."

Here she is late in life with a couple of her Parkers

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/10/09 09:51 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was given a Stevens Model 94 single at age 13 -- hoping to move up to a 311 someday. The Model 94 now has the "slackum" finish discussed on this board -- no kidding. Had to try it on something. Maybe the difference between American production doubles and the Birmingham boxlocks is that the Americans had to compete pricewise with very good repeaters, plus they were more creative than simply building the same Anson and Deeley gun with parts all sourced from the same place. In a way this has made the American double collecting world a lot more interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Just purchased another fine hunting adventure book .......... Another hunter traveled to Africa in the early to mid 1800's with, of course, a brace of James Purdey muzzleloaders.

Curious about book title. About the Nile? Visiting the Falls?
Thanks
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the late 1860's the materials, designs, and craftsmanship were available to make robust guns, guns that would endure long chronological time spans and endure many, many cycles of the action. A very pedestrian boxlock can be expected to give prolonged service if it is well maintained, not abused, and meets with no misfortune. For all guns, there is a certain element of "luck of the draw" for wear and breakage of parts. There was probably a lack of durability in the extra cheap JABC and bottom end USA made guns. I don't know of a Brit made conterpart to these.

I have very little concern over the reliability of most any gun. The parts that are likely to wear of break are easy enough to fix. If I correctly determine the current condition of a gun, then I should discount it sufficinetly to be able to afford to repair it when something wears out.

All collectables , guns included, are subject to pricing according to scarcity and desirability. Very few top grade guns were made in America. Many, many Americans want them, for whatever reason. Ergo, the price is way out of line with natural utility; the gun may well be worth the price as a collector's piece, but not as a shooter. Birmingham boxlocks are plentiful relative to the number of people who want them. Their price relatively low. I don't know of a single collector who runs a rest home for tired old Burmmies. There are a lot of collectors who run "museums" of high original quality guns.

Getting in a snit over American vs British guns is a waste of good snits. They simply are not comparable; they are shot and collected for differing reasons.

1 member likes this: eightbore
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, I love the phrase "is a waste of good snits". Best comment so far, I think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'snit' is over the needlessly arrogant denigration and condescension. A simple "I exagerated a bit as part of jounalistic hyperbole" would likely resolve things. This isn't about what Dig thinks about LC Smiths.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought Roosevelt's big stick was a .405 Winchester?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
The 'snit' is over the needlessly arrogant denigration and condescension. A simple "I exagerated a bit as part of jounalistic hyperbole" would likely resolve things. This isn't about what Dig thinks about LC Smiths.

Yes, exactly what irks, and easily unirked.

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 02/10/09 09:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if I should tell you Kerryman being that these books are out of print and I'm competing with everyone on the planet for the few remaining and readable copies!!!
Do I really need any more competition!!!
Teddy loved his Winchester but who doesn't love a Winchester!! However, when going after the most dangerous of animals he used the big Holland & Holland like any sane man would!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kerryman, my good man, a book I do have in my grimy mitts, I finally won an auction, was written by R Gordon Cumming, who went to Africa with a Dickson two groove, a James Purdey and a William Moore in 1847.
Regrettably both the William Moore and the John Dickson blew up after months of hard use. He had to finish up his work using his Purdey, even though the Purdey was used as hard or even harder than the other two, as he puts it "a faithful friend that has saved my life on many occasions from charging brutes"!!!
Let the others talk of shooting a bunch of stupid glass balls and clay targets!!!

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.