May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, earlyriser, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 530 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

We still have some misconceptions here.

First of all, prices: Drew, the equivalent of an Elsie Pigeon--Scott Monte Carlo B, also a hammerless sidelock--cost 44 pounds in 1906. Expect someone can convert that price, but I believe the pound was in the $4-5 range at that time. And that would not include, of course, the nearly 50% tariff mentioned above. As OWD said, that's why Brit gun sales dropped off significantly in this country in the 20th century, and why American doublegun makers did so well.

American guns were made for a different purpose than British guns. The Brits liked (and still do) light 12's as "game guns". The makers of American classic doubles sold far more 12's than anything else, but very few of them would fall into what the Brits would consider "game gun" configuration, mostly because they weigh too much. The British equivalent of something like a Fox, Parker, Elsie or Model 21 12ga would be a wildfowl model, designed mostly for shooting waterfowl. One of those will stand up to the same amount of abuse, with the same shot charges, as an American 12. Your light British game gun--of which I have a pair (nothing exotic--Army & Navy guns from the 30's, made by Webley and Scott)--are more the equivalent of American classic 16's. My guns, with 28" barrels, weigh a hair under 6 1/4#. They're proofed for 1 1/8 oz loads, but in fact, I shoot 7/8 oz through them for targets, and mostly 1 1/16 oz--the standard 2 1/2" Brit 12ga game load--for pheasants. (I sometimes use my own 1 1/8 oz low pressure reloads.) They're 75 years old and still in original proof. I shoot lots of targets with them, and since I got them over 3 years ago, I have killed something over 100 wild pheasants with them--not to mention some quail and prairie grouse. They will take it as well as will an EQUIVALENT American gun, when fed the proper ammunition. My guns are essentially the equivalent of about a Fox AE grade 16. Buy a couple of those and you'll pay as much--if not more--than you would for a couple light Brit 12's such as mine.

Dr. Charles Norris, who bequeathed one of his Purdeys to his friend George Bird Evans, shot Elsies before he bought his first Purdey. He praises them but says they're not as good as English guns. However, he also says that dollar for dollar, American doubles are the best value. On the used market, especially if you're talking high grade American doubles, I'm not sure that's true any longer. For one thing, if you get into the highest grade Elsies, Parkers and Foxes, there are not many out there. Rarity increases prices dramatically. On the other hand, after about 1900, everything Purdey made was a "best", as was every Boss, every Woodward, and every H&H Royal. So you've got far more high grade Brit guns to choose from than you do American guns, thus flipflopping the traditional price difference.

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/08/09 04:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Larry. The oldest conversion that I could find was $4.866 per British Pound in 1930. Not a great year in the US. The LC Pigeon had been discontinued, but an Eagle with AE was $190 and a Parker CHE $215.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/08/09 05:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
We still have some misconceptions here.

First of all, prices: Drew, the equivalent of an Elsie Pigeon--Scott Monte Carlo B, also a hammerless sidelock--cost 44 pounds in 1906. Expect someone can convert that price, but I believe the pound was in the $4-5 range at that time. And that would not include, of course, the nearly 50% tariff mentioned above. As OWD said, that's why Brit gun sales dropped off significantly in this country in the 20th century, and why American doublegun makers did so well.

American guns were made for a different purpose than British guns. The Brits liked (and still do) light 12's as "game guns". The makers of American classic doubles sold far more 12's than anything else, but very few of them would fall into what the Brits would consider "game gun" configuration, mostly because they weigh too much. The British equivalent of something like a Fox, Parker, Elsie or Model 21 12ga would be a wildfowl model, designed mostly for shooting waterfowl. One of those will stand up to the same amount of abuse, with the same shot charges, as an American 12. Your light British game gun--of which I have a pair (nothing exotic--Army & Navy guns from the 30's, made by Webley and Scott)--are more the equivalent of American classic 16's. My guns, with 28" barrels, weigh a hair under 6 1/4#. They're proofed for 1 1/8 oz loads, but in fact, I shoot 7/8 oz through them for targets, and mostly 1 1/16 oz--the standard 2 1/2" Brit 12ga game load--for pheasants. (I sometimes use my own 1 1/8 oz low pressure reloads.) They're 75 years old and still in original proof. I shoot lots of targets with them, and since I got them over 3 years ago, I have killed something over 100 wild pheasants with them--not to mention some quail and prairie grouse. They will take it as well as will an EQUIVALENT American gun, when fed the proper ammunition. My guns are essentially the equivalent of about a Fox AE grade 16. Buy a couple of those and you'll pay as much--if not more--than you would for a couple light Brit 12's such as mine.

Dr. Charles Norris, who bequeathed one of his Purdeys to his friend George Bird Evans, shot Elsies before he bought his first Purdey. He praises them but says they're not as good as English guns. However, he also says that dollar for dollar, American doubles are the best value. On the used market, especially if you're talking high grade American doubles, I'm not sure that's true any longer. For one thing, if you get into the highest grade Elsies, Parkers and Foxes, there are not many out there. Rarity increases prices dramatically. On the other hand, after about 1900, everything Purdey made was a "best", as was every Boss, every Woodward, and every H&H Royal. So you've got far more high grade Brit guns to choose from than you do American guns, thus flipflopping the traditional price difference.

Larry.....i think you explained it quit well. However i don't think thats the point Dig was trying to make at all!

Last edited by battle; 02/08/09 06:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These ads give a good example of what was expected of an American gun. Brush, Trap, Field and Blind; strong yet simple and easy to repair; long, close and hard hitting. Much more that we would expect from a single gun today.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

If i was fortunate to live back in the day(1898). And had purchased a Purdey/Scott and a Lefever/Parker and both guns was used consistently and the same for one hundred years. If neither gun had broken and or been apart for repair how is either gun any better than the other? Now if that Purdey had stood the test of time and that American made gun didn't i would say sure all British guns are superior, but thats not the case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete- another point here, possibly overlooked- in America with many areas open to public hunting- the long range guns were favored- to "beat the other guy" across the marsh- read "Are we shooting 8 gauge guns" by Nash Buckingham--in England, no competition- the "unwashed masses" are not able to hunt, even rough shoot- that is a priviledge of the inbreed aristocrats- they have no competition- a gun writer discovered at a flossy London shooting school the Brits are taught that if you miss your bird with the first barrel, you wish him GodSpeed and find another bird for the second barrel- pleanty of birds in a drive for the wealthy, it's "bad form, Old Boy" to compete for the only Goose that might fly over a public marsh in the entire morning- Nash also described a top Limey gunner, raised on driven birds, and his first experience with flighting doves in a tail wind- believe Old Lord Muckingfutch with his proper "Best" sidelocked gun scratched down 18 for 100 shells fired-Tell you what- I'm no clays man, because the laws of gravity and inertia work differently on a clay disc than a startled game bird-none tougher to kill cleanly awing than a dove, true in Nash's day, still true today- I'll go up against your Limey Lad Mr. Sir Diggory on live birds in a wind- not clays- we each take 100 shells of our chosing- best % wins the pot for those 100 shells. He may use any one of his "fancy schmancy" double guns he favors- I'll use my "money gun"- the 1937 12 gauge Model 12 30" Full Tournament grade with solid rib-and being a "somewhat gentleman- for a working class Mick SOB- I'll only load mine with two shells, same as Sir Digmeister does his- as Nash recalled in one of his early srories about early days at Wapanocca- his father, banker Miles Buckingham, when he observed Nash using the old Irby Bennett "Gift gun" a 12 bore Winchester 1893- "You only load that with two shells when you are sharing a duck stand with a gentleman shooting a double gun".. Live birds only, and I shoot barn pigeons in flight and decoyed crows a lot in the non-Fall seasons-clays-fuggegaboutit!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

the best gun at that time was legendary wincherster 1897 pump.
some designers those englishmen were bested by farmers son from utah.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of you think too much of your farmer grades - think of the brace counts on the big estates shoots - think about the lack of game in America at this time.
No, best guns were made to shoot...and a whole lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

this must be the reason why so many ole' 1897s have very little finish left but are still going strong eh?
if ole' 1897 was allowed those folks using game counters would have been overwhelmed! ladie, how many did i shoot. not sure sir, i ran out of dials!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

First of all, prices: Drew, the equivalent of an Elsie Pigeon--Scott Monte Carlo B, also a hammerless sidelock--cost 44 pounds in 1906. Expect someone can convert that price, but I believe the pound was in the $4-5 range at that time.

In 1910, the Monte Carlo B sold for $175 in the US, it was a bit more prior to that. The $4 to $5 conversion seems about right.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.