May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, LRF, 1 invisible), 885 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,850
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure that Mr Beesley, being a very accomplished gunmaker and inventor, had his own design of lockwork made up for him by the Wolverhampton lockmakers. By examining a number of guns we might find a Beesley style of lock.

Most of Beesleys production was best quality. I don't recall seeing a second or third quality by him.

Rocketman, sorry to have overlooked your question. Generally,I have noted higher Whitworth tube numbers on later guns, however, a gunmaker may have tubes dating from the 1880's in stock and not use them until the 1930's; I believe they started numbering the tubes with the introduction of chopper lumps as a way of keeping pairs together. This would account for the absence of numbers on early dovetailed Whitworth barrels.
All the best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Mal. I'm going to get more information on this Beesley issue. I understood that he used his own patent for his best guns. That may well have been bad information. I'll "collect" some "fern" chisled fence guns and see what we find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a catalog issued sometime after 1912, Beesley offers four qualities of sidexside guns. Two are boxlocks, and a third is their "Special Quality" sidelock for 75bps. Their "Standard" is their highest quality sidelock at 120bps.

The Bass Pro Beesley does not have the "normal" Beesely fences , but has the fences commonly found on Army Navy, Monk, and many others that had guns made for them by Webley Scott, Hollis Bentley and Playfair etc. Those fences are pictured in the catalogs of both Birmingham makers. From what I can see, the fences pictured on page one of this thread do not match the cataloged best fences, either. The pin placement in the sideplates of the Cataloged Beesley Patent best , do not match either gun pictured with this thread.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 01/31/09 11:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you ever so much, DH. Very good information. I spoke with Dig Hadoke about this issue last night. He is of the opinion that this gun was a made as a best. I defer to superiour knowledge and accept that it is OQ1. That said, we would have a BV2-OQ1-CC5 = $9000 if my first estimate of CC5 is correct. That price does not match up with Dig's and CJ0's (remember, CJO had the gun in hand) estimate. So, to match my original estimate, we would have to have BV2-OQ1-CC6.6 = $5,500. From the photos, Dig estimated $7,000 = BV2-OQ1-CC5.8. Note that it is always OK to reverse engineer the price chart from an estimate or price to see what factors the estimate yields and consider whether those factors pass the horse sense test. Thanks one and all for the input. Jay Cee, that is about all I can do from descriptions and photos.

Last edited by Rocketman; 01/31/09 03:42 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

$5500! $7000! Come on, get real.

That gun has been poorly recolored, poorly restocked, hotblued, and the engraving looks buffed.

And that's just what we can tell from the pics.

We do not know if it is proof or its bbl wall thicknesses.

Judging from the quality of work done on it already, I bet it has other issues, too.

I wouldn't spend a dime on it.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The proof issue would be easy to settle: Measure the chambers and the bores. If the chambers have not been lengthened and the bore diameter is less than .740, it's in proof. Wall thickness doesn't render a gun out of proof, although anything under .020 on a 2 1/2" gun would certainly merit caution on the part of the buyer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD they are doing exactly what has been preached and preached on here...

Don't price a gun on name alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That OWD, is called playing the best gun buying game - you either have the means for a top-conditioned gun or not!
...and if not, you have to go down a notch or two in your expectations.
Now to put this into proper order, those Lefevers and LCs you want, if in the same condition as that Beesley that puts you off so much would cost you $800-1500.
Different rules are in play.

Sidelock
Sidelock

although Rocketman's gun value formulas are fascinating. This gun is a dog that no math can save,just like the LCs and such that go for such `short money. junk is junk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

strangely i have seen different beesley at david condons place with 27" tubes and ic/ic barrels. my assumption was tubes were "circumcised", but i didn't look at it closely because i have zero english in me and don't really care for what they made or make. romans had an empire when english were in muuuud huts and italians are better craftsmen anyway.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.