April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 376 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133526 01/30/09 10:24 PM
BradW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I posted some info on the shotgun forum about this, sorry I didn't realize this forum was here "ignorance is bliss". I bought a Gibbs Farquharson rifle rebarreled to 45-70 and missing the original forearm, it has a clunky looking replacement that I plan to re-shape also missing the safety which looks to be a hammer lever block type since the hammer lever on the right side would be blocked by whatever is missing if I figure this correctly. Any Idea as to dating this rifle? any detailed info out there on these? I ordered "British single shot rifles vol. 2" since I was told this book would cover the rifle in question. The parts inside have 178 on them and the receiver is marked 178 under the Farquharson patent on the right side also Marked "George Gibbs Bristol" on the left side.
Brad

BradW #133564 01/31/09 08:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brad, 178 would be the patent use number; meaning that your action was the 178th made. It probably dates from about 1880. If it is the only number on the action, the rifle it was made into was of less than best quality so your action probably does not have much engraving on it. Thelever on the right side is indeed the safety, and does block the hammer. On most actions the lever can also be used to recock the action. Many actions from the same period as yours were made into the famous Gibbs- Metford target rifles. Jonathan Kirton in his book "The British Falling Block Rifle from 1865" does not list your action as a "recorded specimen" He does list action numbers 177 and 179. Most gibbs rifles of that perion were originaly chambered in .461 gibbs. Fewer than 1000 Gibbs Farquharson actions were made. You have a treasure, so treat it well.

All the best, Mal

BradW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Mal,
Thank you very much for the information, As you stated it it is less than best quality (no engraving on it at all). One thing I noticed after I bought it was that the buttstock has a small number 5193 stamped on the bottom, I thought that was strange for a sporting rifle (the stock has nice checkering). I bought this for $500 here in central Washigton state and the story was a older gentleman in Chelan shot it until he was to old and just quit shooting. I wonder what happened to the barrel and safety lever? I would like to find or make the missing safety lever and at least get this rifle back to what it should look like. Thanks again for the info.
Brad

BradW #133628 01/31/09 02:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brad:

For what it is worth, the action is worth three times what you paid for it, so congratulations on finding a great deal!

You are not going to find any parts for it. What ever is missing will have to be fabricated. The Winfer book you ordered is excellent and should give you the information you need to make the missing parts. If not, I may be able to help.

Best,

Glenn

(Brad, I sent you an email at the address listed in your profile, but it was returned as undeliverable. If you would like you can write me at gfewless@tds.net ) I sent a PM on this system as well, but you never know with those...

Last edited by Glenn Fewless; 01/31/09 03:36 PM.

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
BradW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Glenn,
I figured I might have to make a part, As long as I can see what I'm supposed to come up with I can probably do it. I have been lurking around this site since the mid 1990's but always on the shotgun forum, I didn't even think to check here until a couple days ago. Thanks for the heads up on updating my profile/e-mail.
Brad

bradwilley@nwi.net

BradW #133662 01/31/09 05:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have paid as much as 4k for a tang safety PD Farquharson action when I really needed one and even at that, it needed a bit of work. You are fortunate indeed! Depending on the state of original condition yours could be worth considering a true restoration of barrel and forend, it sounds as if you may have the original butstock.
All the best, Mal

BradW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Mal,
It does have the original buttstock with a 1/4 checked buttplate, the wood is very sound and dark. I'm sure it was re-blued in it's life judging by the finish. If you want me to I'll take some decent pictures and e-mail them to you, I don'y know how to post them here or I would.
Brad

bradwilley@nwi.net

BradW #133785 02/01/09 09:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brad, I'm in the same boat when it comes to posting. Yes,I'd like to see some pictures especially area with "missing" parts. Thanks.

My E-mail: gbosports@aol.com.
Mal

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.