April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (earlyriser, 67galaxie, Hugh Lomas, Pwog, 3 invisible), 1,076 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,120
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm trying to do some early research into the feasibility of importing a line of new SXS double rifles. I would like to have input from the knowledgeable here. I need some answers to a few questions and any other input on what would sell here in the U.S. not in Europe.

Please keep in mind that I'm trying to keep overall costs down to the affordable range not the dream gun.

Two options below.

A.

1. What would you pay for a basic off the shelf boxlock double rifle with full length ribs and express sights?

2. I need a list of top three rimmed calibers wanted and expected weight for each one.

3. Barrel length?

4. What is the least amount of and what kind of engraving would you expect it to have standard?

5. What options interest you? i.e. scope mounts, ejectors, more engraving, auto safety, upgraded wood and so on.

6. If scope mount what kind?

7. Stock dimensions for off the shelf?

8. Style of butt pad?

9. Any other info that you want to add.

B.

Just describe your idea of an inexpensive off the shelf double rifle. What you would expect and what you would pay for.

Thanks Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

1. $3,500
2. 45-70, 38-55, 30-30
3. 20"
4. I could be happy if it had no engraving.
5. Ejectors, scope mount, cartridge trap
6. NECG offers one, I believe
7. 14" lop
8. A working pad, not concerned with the looks.
9. I would pay for a wood upgrade before engraving. Sling swivels would be nice. Some way to adjust the POI.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

1. What would you pay for a basic off the shelf boxlock double rifle with full length ribs and express sights? 3K-4K

2. I need a list of top three rimmed calibers wanted and expected weight for each one. 30-30 6 1/2 lbs, 9.3x74R 7 1/2 lbs, 405 Win 7 3/4 lbs.
weights with iron sights.

3. Barrel length? 24"

4. What is the least amount of and what kind of engraving would you expect it to have standard? line engraving similar to Fox Sterlingworth

5. What options interest you? i.e. scope mounts, ejectors, more engraving, auto safety, upgraded wood and so on.
QD scope mounts, either machined into rib or removable blanks for Kimber type or EAW Ejectors would be nice.
6. If scope mount what kind?

7. Stock dimensions for off the shelf? 14" to .500 red Old English pad

8. Style of butt pad? solid red

swivel bases standard
blued reciever would keep cost down
interchanable pads using Pachmary system to vary LOP from 13.5 to 14.5"
Single leaf rear sight
Auto safety

ABS type case with compartment for at least one box of ammo, cleaning rod etc and scope with rings.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys keep it coming. Pete they will not have an adjustable POI. You can get that in the Remington SP22 in 45-70 for $1000.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

Trust you've mined the Double Rifle forum on Accuratereloading.com. Many of your answers are in that market.

The cheapest new doubles at this point go for from $5K or so up to $25K, with boxlocks far less than sidelocks, and we are talking about Searcy, Heym, Krieghoff, Merkel (made on shotgun actions), Chapuis. The Russians make something less attractive (sorry, Geno) and 45-70 is a fighting word on that board.

Calibers of choice include .470 Nitro, 450/400 Nitro, 9.3x74R. Some few raise the 7x65R and even the rimmed 6.5mm's.

I'd be surprised and doubtful to see a good quality, even basic double rifle produced for under $4K.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

No problem, Tim, I don't like it also

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A.

1. What would you pay for a basic off the shelf boxlock double rifle with full length ribs and express sights? $3500 - 4000

2. I need a list of top three rimmed calibers wanted and expected weight for each one.
6.5x57R - 6 3/4 lbs. .303 - 7 3/4 lbs., 9.3x74r, 8 1/4 lbs.

3. Barrel length?
25"

4. What is the least amount of and what kind of engraving would you expect it to have standard?
Engraving should be optional. Rather have no engraving than some of the engraving that comes standard these days.

Scope mounts (not sure what kind), upgraded wood.

A double rifle should be a real delight to handle. Otherwise, why bother?

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.