May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 246 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Same old Wonk. LOP doesn't make a bit of difference . . . nope, doesn't make much difference when you're shooting nothing but targets, pre-mounted. No more than gun weight matters, when you're only toting the gun from the trunk of the Mercedes to the 16 yard line.

If one accepts the late Gough Thomas as a "published authority" on shotguns, here's what he says: "Since our leading coaches and gun-fitters cannot always agree on what constitutes the correct stock for a given man, I beg to be acquitted of any intention of laying down the law on the subject." It would seem that Mr. Batha, who is a coach, has as much right to submit his opinion on the subject as anyone else--given the lack of agreement to which Mr. Thomas refers.

Same old L.Brown. Never bother to read an entire post if that will interfere with a reply that has no bearing to the topic. You might want to obsess about something that you actually understand. And I am absolutely certain that Gough Thomas would be the FINAL authority in gun fit since his international shooting fame has no equal. I know that my meager experience is of no consequence but the "authorities" (i.e. successful shooters) that I have spoken with seem to agree on the drop/cast/pitch/lop thing pretty consistently.
And I don't mind saying it again - gauge has as much to do with drop as my shoe size. Just like cowboy boots will make your gun shoot higher. Well, maybe at the urinal.

And I would end with JMO again too, but obviously there are facts that need no substantiation by my opinion or experience; the drop/cast/pitch/lop interactions being the most obvious here.

over and out

WtS

PS - Yardley does the writing/shooting thing for a living. Buy his books. He speaks the truth. And go to shotgunreport.com for a DIY gunfitting tutorial that works. AND just BTW for L.Brown, the shotgunreport guys are killer international and sporting shooters. But WTF do they know anyway??

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 01/25/09 03:14 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm . . . I believe Mr. Batha also does the writing/shooting thing for a living.

One does have to be careful and always chew one's Redman in the offside cheek so as not to change the cast.

As for the LOP thing, Wonk . . . assuming that I hunt (that's shooting live, wild birds) with a shotgun just a bit more than you--and I believe that's a very safe assumption--I'll certainly put my credentials up against yours when it comes to LOP issues for a FIELD gun. And I can quote you at least half a dozen other serious HUNTERS who write who will also tell you that incorrect LOP--especially if it's in the too long direction--will result in all kinds of gun mount issues when hunting. Obviously, those aren't the same issues one faces when one already has the gun mounted before yelling "pull".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
Why add a Silver's Pad on a 28 ga? Gun would be a lot cleaner, to my eye, with a HRBP

I was wondering the same thing. He also mentions cutting the stock for correct LOP. Seems kind of silly to cut a 28ga and then add length back with a pad, unless there are some physical issues like heart problems or a detached retina. I have a friend who is putting a softer pad on an already padded Merkel 28ga, but he's taking that gun to Argentina for high-volume doves.

I was wondering the same thing. I know you said you like them, but, but, but. Is there any other options???

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kids, see what happens when you take one too many pulls off the lit Churchill clamped in your teeth when you are next to the acetone tank?
Let this be a lesson to you pukes.....
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting comment on the Redman "cud" Mr. Brown. I'm not a clays shooter at all, but do own a 1948 era M12 Pigeon Grade Trap-factory dims for that era. The former owner was a AA class 16 yard shooter-but was also a 2 pack of Camels/day smoker-. In an effort to quit that deadly habit, he went to chewing Red Man. His trap scores went "into the dumper" until he learned to shift his cud to the left side cheek. The "wad" of Red Man raised his right cheek off the comb of that M12-and he was shooting over his birds- mainly the straight away flying targets.

I'm a retired power plant/pipeline welder- most of my buddies "on the job" smoked, I didn't. Old Tex saved the cigar stubs from his "R.G. Dungs" and re-lit the stubs, so he could smoke while his hood was down and he was burning a stick of LH-70 vertical up- There was as much smoke coming out of the back of his Huntsman hood as from the arc- Tex told a "rookie" once, upon his first helping of Mail Pouch- "Take a big load there sonny, don't skimp- that will make the pukin' worth your while"..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Hmmm . . . I believe Mr. Batha also does the writing/shooting thing for a living.

One does have to be careful and always chew one's Redman in the offside cheek so as not to change the cast.

As for the LOP thing, Wonk . . . assuming that I hunt (that's shooting live, wild birds) with a shotgun just a bit more than you--and I believe that's a very safe assumption--I'll certainly put my credentials up against yours when it comes to LOP issues for a FIELD gun. And I can quote you at least half a dozen other serious HUNTERS who write who will also tell you that incorrect LOP--especially if it's in the too long direction--will result in all kinds of gun mount issues when hunting. Obviously, those aren't the same issues one faces when one already has the gun mounted before yelling "pull".

Well, I'm gonna give up on trying to lure you into actually reading my initial post and copping to the fact that I voted for short LOP's. As for wild birds - I think I'm safe in putting flyers up against them most any time.
And who GAF if the gun is mounted or not. I know lots of guys that mount the gun before they pull the trigger. But if you say a short stock makes low gun shooting easier you are certainly free to do it that way.

WtS

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane

Now, pragmatically, the best fit is long enough that you don't bash your nose. Why? Obviously that will accomdate the easiest gun mount and the greatest range of clothing. And more importantly it will bring the center of mass close to the rotational axis of your body and you will be able to turn faster. (don't bother, Rocketman, you know I think your MOI is crap for years now ;)). But short stocks look kinda funny tho, don't they? So cut it or leave it alone or whatever. It really doesn't make any difference in anything but how the gun mount feels. Of course that presumes that the gun fit is otherwise correct and that begs a lot since most shooters have NO clue how that works either.

Wonk, I think maybe you need more help with your English than you do your gun mount, if you think the above somehow shows a preference for short stocks over long ones. 17" is long enough that I won't bash my nose, but I'd never be able to shoot a 17" stock starting low gun. If you'd said "just long enough that you don't bash your nose", that will work pretty well shooting low gun. "But short stocks look funny." I think you and John Kerry have a lot in common: You both have a tendency of being for something before you're against it.

And to straighten out your most recent muddying of my opinion on stock length . . I certainly believe that a stock that's too long can be a definite hindrance to shooting low gun. And with the possible exception of Doc Holliday at the OK Corral, most folks I know don't pull the trigger until the gun's mounted. The problem is getting it mounted with the least amount of difficulty and having it end up so it shoots where you look. If you're shooting premounted, you have more of an opportunity to scrunch yourself around so that a too long LOP can be made to work.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/27/09 07:47 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Talked to Glenn Baker who did my fitting a few years back. He feels that, since it is a straight grip with double triggers, LOP should be made same as for a similar SxS. He felt that a single trigger would necessitate going about 1/2" shorter on LOP.

He also gave me another idea on the finishing of the butt. Like him , I hated the prominent Phillip's head screws that fasten the nice matching wood butt plate onto the stock. Liked the wood but the screws have to go. He recommended new flat headed, engraved and blued screws. Think I'll go with that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, I thot that this was pretty clear - "Now, pragmatically, the best fit is long enough that you don't bash your nose. Why? Obviously that will accomdate the easiest gun mount and the greatest range of clothing. And more importantly it will bring the center of mass close to the rotational axis of your body and you will be able to turn faster."

But then that must depend on reading skills that all may not have.

WtS

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

We wear shoes much more than we shoot, thus, for notions about comfortable fit let's look at how we find our footwear.

The deluxe option consists of having the foot fitted and the shoe built to spec. I've tried it and while much effort is put into building the stature of the expert salesman, I am not sure the confidence necessarily follows with wearing the shoe. Believing a salesman is a poor placebo for true fit. Simply put, custom made stuff is not necessarily always best sized either because of bad luck or simply a bad fit. Now what to do with the custom numbers? And what about style selection?

Off the shelf shoes come easily. Find roughly the proper fit and hope for luck in falling into the perfect size. Matches made in heaven such as these happen often enough if you only search. Variety is endless and buying shoes is fun.

How many shoes do we have? Which one style do we secretly love? Which one always seems to fit the most comfortably?

I know for myself that if presented with a shoe I do not like even if it is the most scientifically-ergonomically-optimally-physically designed fit, I will scream like a kid that the pair actually hurt my feet. And they will. Truly.

The point I am trying to make is that a perfect fit comes in many mysterious ways - and in dimensions even a top expert wouldn't know to measure. Try your luck and if you have accumulated a collection of shoes over the years you'll know exactly what I mean when we speak of our favorite boots and thus the most comfortable pair. It's much more than an expert craft, it is much more than just plain old luck, it is also the memory of shared adventures and also the idolization of others who wear the same gear, meanwhile, it is our inner most intuition that we should all learn to follow for the happiness of our soul.

The best psychological fit trumps every other number. For guns it is the same. You love them with the eyes and with the mind and you love the fit. To me, within reason of course, dancing around crafted numbers is the same whining tantrum we all used to put on for our mother when it was time for her to buy shoes for us as kids. Don't you all remember? the Sunday shoes -she- liked would hurt our feet... and the sizes were all wrong - no matter what. Tears were our added attempt at proving it. Meanwhile, the cowboy boots we really wanted were the perfect fit... oh yeah... and it did not matter that the store did not have them in our size either... and I suspect my mother was secretly winking at the shoe lady.

We cloak our love for such items in the mystery of secret numerology, that way, we have an emotional escape for when we are stabbed in the heart if things don't come our way or when faced with scorn and mockery. But truly, the numbers don't matter much, plainly, tradition makes for an authentic fit. Little kids become men and part of growing up is learning to be comfortable in the love of guns.

(I buy my own boots nowadays)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.