Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#131321 01/18/09 08:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. I was so busy fondeling the new stuff that I paid no attention to the old stuff ( Wife ) who was taking the pictures.

What you are seeing is two versions of essentially the same thing. Only difference being in stock and forend design and the single or double triggers.

Gun is a 20 ga with 22 inch barrels, both RIFFLED. ( I should note that the flyer I have says that the barrels are 24 inches while the tag on the gun and the representative there at the show both said 22 inches? ) Weighs in at about 6 3/4 pounds without the scope. Fit and finsh is as you would expect.

I could only see a couple of small items that I would think should be done differently. And mind you this is from a hunters perspective only.

It NEEDS a bigger recoil pad. I'll admit to being something of a recoil sissy so that my be a minority view but I think this thing will kick like a mule.

It could use a cheek piece just as is on European guns.

The top rib should be set up to accept some sort of mounting arrangement so that a non-traditional sighting device, one such as the Aimpoint Micro, can be mounted. And there needs to be more than one mounting position for the non-traditional device, one of which should be far enough forward to allow the gun to be graspec in the natural carry position, right around the chamber area.

Only UGLY item on the gun, and yes I do realize that it serves a very important function, is the adjustable barrel regulator that is at the muzzle. I did not get a very good picture of that but suffice to say it is not pretty. Kind of looks like a band around the muzzles. Ruins what would have been very nice smoth lines.

I understand the limitations of a load spicific double so I appreciate the reason for the ugly regulation device. Can not fault them for the thought.

Maybe they could make a offering of a model with traditional regulation to one load, a load of the buyers choice. I know this would add some cost as regulating is more art than science but doing away with the ugly thing at the end of that graceful gun would be a SIGNIFICANT improvement.

And yes.......!! The shot show is something. You can not walk through it in one day if you are at all interested in any aspect of shooting or hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for very informative post.
CSMC 20 GA SxS with 22" rifled barrels - very innovative and daring by CSMC.
Under American BATF&E regulations, would this firearm be considered a rifle??
Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I want to know more. Are these something that is planned or are they currently available? Any idea of the price?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here in Florida it would be classified as a shotgun even though it has rifled barrels. Kind of confusing to me too.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I understood correctly they are doing them to order. Base price is listed as $3995. The scope(Leupold) and mounts (Talley) along with the extra milling to the rib so they will mount is a $500 upgrade.

The beavertail forend cost $175 extra. A single trigger is also a $175 upgrade.

Assisted opening (which if the ones I fondeled at the show had it is not necessary because they opened plenty easy) is a $450 upgrade.

They offer 3 better grades of wood, $350, $600 & $900 respectively. From what I saw though the standard was PLENTY good.

After handeling them I will say that as a fast short range hunting gun they will work very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's the market? Who and what game is it made for? Big bear or moose in the alders?

"Daring" is the operative word. This scoped-gun in this economy, is it for the hunter who has everything? Just another gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fishdoc
Did CSMC whether they could make a set of barrels to fit my RBL?

I can't wait to see Tony at the at the SCI show. (I hope they are there).

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too cool. Did they say estimated delivery dates??
I want one. what did they say was their accuracy with brand X slugs? (of course it will be the smallest gorup shot). But all in all, this is amazing to me that an American company can even contemplate afirearm such as this , much less get finished samples out for viewing and ordering.

For all of the naysayers who have slammed the RBL's/CSM/Tony G. for delays; at least Tony is willing to break new ground and try something different.

I will seriuously consider making an order once I see the details.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did they say what the rifling was set up for; sabot, Brenneke or Foster type slugs?
2 3/4 or 3 inch?
I think 2 3/4 is plenty!! especially for that weight

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rifling set up for sabots. I did not ask about chamber legnth but I should have. From what I know sabots shoot better out of a size spicific chamber.

As for usefulness.............. Like a lot of other things, you can bust clays and birds and whatever perfectly well with a inexpensive pump shotgun but lots of folks want a nice double. Same here I'd say. And there is a market, how big is the question.

In fact I personally am awaiting delivery, should be in the next 10 days to 2 weeks, of a rifled 20 ga double built on a converted 16 ga FN sidelock action. Perfect arm for the wild hogs we hunt in the thick woods, swamps and palmettos here in NE Florida. I think plenty of other applications around.

And for what it is worth, with a NEW action that is as strong as the RBL is, and with the ability to self regulate( UGLY though it is!)and with access to Brass shotgun shells and a reloader I see no reason not to expect that some VERY stout stuff can be run down the bore of the CSMC 20 ga. Of course the lack of a recoil pad will come back to haunt you: and you will pay for the nice light weight..........!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.