May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
12 members (Lloyd3, Hoot4570, LeFusil, Dan S. W., Jtplumb, 3 invisible), 269 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,999
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'm experimenting with a new finish I call "Cheater's Slakkum." It consists of boiled linseed oil, Japan Drier and just a dash of spar varnish thinned in turpentine.

That's not cheating. Bump up the proportion of spar var and you have a standard finish for exterior architectural woodwork.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ron,

Good question on the bags. I had dismissed them in earlier thinking on the count of possible solvent damage to the plastic. As well, I have been kinda stuck on the welded steel box because I wanted to put some heavy atmospheric traction to the interior of the stock vessels.

However, since this really the first time I've put this to paper, more questions than answers are bubbling up from my mental finish 'ferment pool. F'r instance: it is very difficult to get finish to permeate across the cell structure. How do I know?

Because I tried. There was a client who had a custom floor made of lumber cut from first growth walnut barn timbers. There were problems of finish, and actual tensile hardness. First I prepared as nearly perfect flat sawn and cabinet scraper'd samples as I could make. Next, I tried a couple of application methods, including extended puddling. Several dyed solvents were tested,using timed application techniques, Then, the wood was cross-sectioned and examined under the microscope against a grid.

My results indicated that even 100% dyed alcohol and acetone, were limited to a penetration of a three, to at the very extreme, a dozen cells. However, going from the end grain, as most of know, is like unto soda straws sucking up a soft drink. When I started thinking about stock wood, I really thought a 'magnum blaster' vacuum box would be needed to get X atmospheres.

However, your question caused me to consider two things: at what point in the stockmaking is it necessary to 'fossilize' the cells AND how deeply into the wood does this process REALLY have to extend? So: consider that the stock is very nearly finished, except for the very final line refinements and sanding. The inletting is complete.

Now, there is abundant open cell walls, tubes, vessels including end grain into which the finish may readily be wicked by vacuum. With a vac bag, there also would not have to be a total immersion pool. Also, whatever finish is being used, will be thinned to a predetermined state, and so will likely 'run' deeper than straight varnish.

Now I must go, but questions of 'how deep?' needs to be addressed. Also, will a 'shell' of finish [say 1/4 to a 1/2" deep]cause differential expansion and contraction stress against the 'core'? And, if this is such a good idea, why is it not more explored and part of the lore and literature? Is it it necessary or even desirable, given that a great many folks are pairfecktly satisfied with the finish they presently apply?

Adios.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JohnM, It all sound very interesting. But why not use pressure in and vaccuum out. Pressure treating gets preservative almost to the center of a yellow pine 6 x 6 if done well. However every solution may present an unintended consequence. Let's say we can get every cell and vescicle and bit of xylem and phloem of our cellulose sponge coated with a bit of our impervious finish of choice. Then we go hunting. And we fall and dent our masterpiece. How the hell do we steam that dent out now? I only ask this to keep those brain cells churning. They say it prevents Altzheimers you know.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.