March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131207 01/17/09 10:53 PM
texraid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Michael may have this in his archives. I found it an interesting read and a little off base for this group. What do you call a pig in a silk dress?

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1025769&da=y

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was my grand fathers first deer rifle, he still has it. I asked if I could use it to hunt as I would like to take a deer with it. He wont let me. His father did a little trigger work to it and it has gone off a couple time when it shouldnt have.

He calls it "long Tom". someday Ill get him to let me take it down and replace what his father over did.

He tells of the first deer he shot with it. All he had was mill surplus rounds and the bullet went clean through. A older man then dropped the deer. Great grampa Tony made him step down and let the older fella have the deer.

After that, he tells me he started hand working his ammo. Filing the tips flat then using a drill bit by hand to make them hollow points.

AKA garyg, depending on how confused and which computer Im on.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting that, I keep thinking that someday the rifle will turn up and because of what it is no one will take a second look. Linden also sporterized a German Mauser anti-tank rifle, wish I knew where that was.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is also a Linden Krag 30-40 out there, saw it advertised in SGN in the days before I was into custom Krags. Think it may still have had a 30" barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is a comment of our times that rifles, like the Nagant, are very seldom seen as worthy of use a basis for a custom rifle. I can recall seeing pictures of Alvin Linden's Nagant creations in the '60s, possibly in his book, and marveling over the clean lines and masterful metal work. Unfortunately I succumbed to the influence of those that I regarded as experts that scoffed at the idea that the Nagant had value in this respect, noting the split receiver bridge and forward bolt as primary draw backs. I enjoy books, such as Linden's and Howe's, which focus on the conversion of various military rifles to sporting use. I think they are reflective of the economy and the relatively low cost of skilled labor at the time. Even in the '60s (prior to the '64 gun laws) a nice Mauser or Springfield could be purchased (some times at a grocery store) and converted to a fine sporting rifle cheaper that buying a factory rifle. Today, the cost of building a quality sporting piece from a MILSURP rifle has reversed that.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

michael. a long time ago a liquor store in anaheim Ca. had a big gun collection all over the walls behind the counter was a big mauser sporter, when i ask, i was told it was a german .50 that had been sporterized.thats all the info the clerk had. it was Fords liquor on lincoln in anaheim Ca.Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

I purchased a Mosin sporter out of a gun shop that someone had spent quite a bit of time on. The gun did not generally exhibit the highest quality work except for about 4" of very nice scroll engraving down the barrel. I doubled my money on that gun!!($75x2)

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mc
michael. a long time ago a liquor store in anaheim Ca. had a big gun collection all over the walls behind the counter was a big mauser sporter, when i ask, i was told it was a german .50 that had been sporterized.thats all the info the clerk had. it was Fords liquor on lincoln in anaheim Ca.Mark

Neat! Was it this big?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120635796

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did Linden do any Martini's?

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a good thread that is well worth resurrecting, a few
weeks ago I saw a Mosin Nagant on gunbroker, I told a friend
about it and Art "Texraid" kindly sent me a pdf of the Linden article which I shared with my friend.

My friend bought it after the seller sent him a very detailed
and positive description of the bore condition. I can't help but
wonder if the person who made the rifle was influenced by
the Alvin Linden article. I notice that they added a safety by
the trigger.

Anyway, here is a link to the rifle

Reminton Mosin Nagant

I hope to see it in the next couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.