May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, azgreg, 1 invisible), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,566
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is on the way and thanks for all the replies.

Peter it may have been, it is marked "70" but a gunsmith could have done that after he lengthened them or they could have been lengthened and reproofed. I will post a picture of the barrel flats when it gets here.

Thanks again!

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/31/08 10:03 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's good looking mid-grade piece. It's strange not to see ejectors on it, but somebody did very good re-checkering job plus pad is tasteful too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I almost picked up one of them 20br Bobwhite game guns. Local shop had $1100 closeout deal on them ronded action Smith & Wesson Turkish delights. Not a bad deal for NEW quality gun like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fashion doesn't kill many birds. So "everyone" wants long barrels. The problem is that most inexpensive doubles - and alot of not so inexpensive doubles - with long tubes tend to be slow. There are exceptions.

This FN has about perfect dimensions (for me), ideal chokes for grouse and wc, too.

An ounce at 1200 fps or so - about perfect.

Sam

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun came in and I like it. Does anybody know where I could get a strap to fit the sling attachments. Here is the one on the stock. The hole is about 1/8" diameter and the swivel is 3/16" wide measuring flat side to flat side.

Thanks!

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
New England Custom Gun Service will have the sling and associated hardware you need.
Marvin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would get those flat polymer ones that Gander Mountain sells. They're light, easy to fit, and will not damage stock finish.
PS.BassProshops item #38-888-048-00.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AM,
Cogratulations!
I didn't want to hype up that gun too much before you handled it yourself,
but I thought it was a real wand.
Glad to hear you like it.
Enjoy,
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, if that gun is marked 12-70 inside a sort of sideways horseshoe or capital C on the flats, then it's original 2 3/4". Quite a few earlier Belgian guns (they'd have 12 over C inside a diamond) were also originally 2 3/4" (typically marked 70MM), especially if imported by someone like A&F or VL&D. If you show a photo of the flats, we can probably make a pretty educated guess as to whether the chambers are original or lengthened.

I shoot a pair of Brit 12's, 6 1/4# with 28" barrels, and they work out fine for me. I shoot mostly 7/8 oz reloads at targets, but usually 1 1/16 oz at pheasants, with some moderate velocity 1 1/8 oz reloads thrown in. They work OK for the few shells I need in a day's pheasant hunt, but I'll stick with those light reloads for targets.

Ted, check out the very light "Helice" sidelock 12 in Cabela's inventory. I think the price is too high for a no name French gun, but talking in terms of "gun for the money", it's likely a better gun than a lot of Brit sidelocks with higher sticker prices.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/04/09 10:48 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tarheel and Jag - thanks for the help! That is very specific information.

Twister I do like it. I shot low gun skeet yesterday with the 1oz loads and it'll sure do. I am with Larry - if I was going to shoot a lot of targets with it I would sure go to a 7/8oz load. After quail season closes I am going to have the gap between the action and the stock acraglassed.

Larrly the gun was "imported" by Thad Scott. It is stamped on the bottom rib - covered by the forearm. It does have 70mm stamped on the barrel flats. Thanks!

And thanks to my shooting student Joe Wood for going to the FFL to look at the gun for me.

Here is a picture of the barrel flats:

Thanks again to all that replied - this was very helpful to me in making the purchase decision and in rigging up the gun for hunting.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.