May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SXS 40, Jolly Bill, WJW, JDH), 1,003 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,851
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127182 12/22/08 03:57 PM
griz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Apologies for the non-doublegun post, however this site is the only place I know that has the knowledge and expertise to answer my questions.

The photo below shows a model 14 Remington in 25 Rem. that bubba has performed an amateur checkering job on. I want to get rid of the checkering. The checkering itself is fairly shallow, but the borders are deeper.

1. Can this checkering be removed and the repair blended in without refinishing the whole stock and subsequently the forearm to match?

2. Is this a job that can be done by an amateur handy with tools or is it best left to a professional?

Any suggestions on who does this sort of work would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It makes you wonder if the guy responsible for that had ever seen checkering before. I'd have to remove it too. Kind of dyslexic or something...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: griz

2. Is this a job that can be done by an amateur handy with tools or is it best left to a professional?

And looking at that doesn't answer your question?

Sidelock
Sidelock

To far gone ...

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

looks like an attempt at a flat top early English checkering .
I say this because ,I see no attempt what so ever to place nice angles / points on the diamonds .

Depending on how deep it is it could be repairable , well lets correct that to , be changed .
The problem will be that the checkering will be below the level of the stock . Now if your shooting for pure cosmetic that’s not an issue but it may not be to functional .
As to a beginner / amateur being able ? Ha if this is your gun ,go for it , everyone must start somewhere . Despite what some will want you to believe No one was born with this knowledge .
But do yourself a favor and do some reading , get some pointers , build you a stock vice and don’t tey to just hold it . If you do , your going to end up with something worse or only slightly better then what you have .
If this is a special gun and changing it yourself worries you , send it off
OR take the time to make a new stock , start learning the processes . you might just be suprised with what you can do

Sidelock
Sidelock

kinda looks like fish scales. If this is just a shooter...let it be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't call it hopeless. I'd say there's at least a slim chance the checkering could be obliterated by new 16 lpi checkering; appropriate enough for that gun. It might even be possible to make a mullered border and dress it up a bit. What does the forearm look like?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Griz; I gather you don't want any checkering at all, if so a fix is almost impossible. If I had this dilemma I would tape off the checkering along the borders and cover the rest of the stock with masking tape. Get some good paint remover and clean up the checkering to bare wood. Get some bedding compound & dye to a color same as the stock or close and fill the checkering flush, sand smooth, rechecker, dye and finish the area the same color as the bedding. It may be darker but the previous job will go away - plan B - find / make another stock. You can try the fix and then make up your mind as to a replacement. --- John Can.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.