May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (LRF, Chantry), 313 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,538
Posts546,035
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best you don't deal with 'smiths either Salopian - you run the risk of a shoddy job, or never seeing your gun again.
When a gun of mine goes on the blink, I get rid of it.
I learned my lesson with a 'smith chasing a barrel dent - looked like a sewer-pipe when he was done.

HackCW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would like to thank everyone for their time and comments (and please continue to do so if so inclined).

I think we all pretty much agree that Beretta USA is trying to dodge their responsibility in this matter. If a safety issue does exist, it exists because of a barrel failure, not because of normal usage by the customer.

Thanks Again,

Hack

HackCW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an update on this issue which is really dissapointing. My customer received the waiver letter from Beretta. In it he was advised that he had six months in which to sign the waiver, and they would keep the gun until the waiver was signed or until the six month period had passed. At the end of six months if he had not signed the waiver, the firearm would be destroyed. (Surely they mean just the barrel, but at this point who knows).

Hack

Last edited by HackCW; 12/08/08 10:58 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the main reason this Board is so good.
I'm tired of reading books and magazine articles with expressions like, this shotgun is, 'Second to none' or 'better then most', which tells you absolutely nothing.
We had a high grade Rizzini up not to long ago with a point of impact problem with it's barrels now a high grade Beretta with bulge and a loose rib.
Now that's information we can use!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Richard,
I appologize if I've offended you. I've re-read my post several times and while I can't see an attack on you in there, I can see where you might be offended by my use of the word "...outlandish'.

Still, I am very surprised by the Beretta assessment of 'unsafe' for .001". That's only .0005" per wall of the tube. That might be undetectable by eye when sighting down the barrel's o.d.. It's possible that the decimal place may have been transposed. Then I'd be more inclined to agree or be sympathetic to Beretta's assessment even with only a .010" bulge. But such an assessment by Beretta on a .001" bulge is still off the scale in conservatism to me. Structual parts are cold formed from similar condition materials all the time. I would defy Beretta to find tensile data for such a small amount of plastic deformation to support their decision or even get adverse tensile data that reliably shows up after such a small deformation. Furthermore, I would defy Beretta to sign such a waiver and if they failed to return my gun and destroyed it, they would find themselves in court. To force anyone to sign away rights in a waiver or anything else before returning their own property shouldn't be tolerated. At this point, I'd contact the attorney general for the state in which the gun was sent and seek their assistance in resolving this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is amazing - some of the stories that we are told by manufacturers. Several years ago I sold a beautiful Fabio Zanotti
double model 625 (Aberchrombie and Fitch) to a friend of time who was moving to London for a couple of years.
He took it to Purdey for some reason to have it checked out. They
removed the Silver name plate in the bottom of the stock and put one in crossways , then told him the gun was not safe to shoot because the barrels were "Riveled" and they needed to rebarrel it.
I told him to bring it back please and I would refund his money.
When I took it to a knowledgeable double gunsmith, he examined it and laughed and said the only problem with the gun was that
it had not been made in England.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They start to threatening you with destroying your gun? I believe it is time for an attorney to be involved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This really sounds outlandish!

If the owner doesn't sign the waiver they destroy HIS gun? Come on, they must be joking. An attorney should be able to bring Beretta back to their senses.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once used the NY AG online site to file a complaint against a Brooklyn camera dealer that was unscrupulous. They seemed to take it seriously. If Beretta is in NY, I'll bet they'll jump on going after a biz for a big ticket item like a high end shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had Ford and GM both threaten to destroy cars they made, that I bought from them and took back, for service under warranty. Happens all the time.

If Beretta thinks that they can both destroy the gun and not replace it they will find out what a decent lawyer can do to them. Even a half baked lawyer would love to get that case. I would tell them that they have two choices either return the gun, exactly as is and right now, or replace the barrels at their expense. Failure to do one or the other will result in immediate legal action. We are not talking about a $30.00 item here. You buy a high dollar gun you expect high dollar service.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.