May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, buckstix, Stanton Hillis), 613 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,608
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

The large St.Louis hardware stores sold ol'doubles(remaining inventory of Remington hammerless & SAC guns) for much less than the newer M12. I'd think many of these farmer guns made it into the hands of market hunters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ithaca NID design is actually much more "modern" than has been indicated. It has a rotory bolt locking mechanism that both simple and extremely strong.
I have 5 Ithaca Classic Doubles that have tens of thousands of rounds through them collectively and are all functioning perfectly.
I use these guns in all kinds of weather for both hunting and clay targets.
If you're having a problem, send the gun to Gunter Pfrommer. He knows these guns better than anyone. He will get it done right the first time and will not brake the bank.

Gunter Pfrommer
2954 Hopkins Rd
Rocky Mount, VA 24151
(540) 484-5555

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Non-aboriginal subsistance hunting was practiced up until the early 1960s along the coast of Nova Scotia, jOe-don't let your narrow mind (the only narrow part, I might add) get in the way of the facts.
Best,
Ted

And I guess these "nOn-aboriginal subsistance" hunters preferred pumps...

Sounds like someone spiked your jelly donuts Teddy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting aborigines for subsistance has always been in questionable taste LOL! Plain old subsistance hunting, fishing, trapping was certainly going on in Ohio in the 50s and in some ways it was a supersistance as it all tasted considerably better than Spam (with the exception of muskrat). So I can easily imagine that the wild and wonderful land of Evangeline might encourage folks to find food or starve.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonder how many "Subsistance" Iver Johnson Champions & H&R Toppers were made in comparsion with those pumps. As they say, Different Strokes for Different Folks. Those wanting quality bought Doubles, those wanting to "Throw the Most Lead" to "Kill the most Game" bought pumps &/or autos, & those just wanting to shoot something to eat as cheaply as possible bought a single.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
Hunting aborigines for subsistance has always been in questionable taste LOL! Plain old subsistance hunting, fishing, trapping was certainly going on in Ohio in the 50s and in some ways it was a supersistance as it all tasted considerably better than Spam (with the exception of muskrat). So I can easily imagine that the wild and wonderful land of Evangeline might encourage folks to find food or starve.

jack

Just the suggestion of hunting Australian Aborigines seemed to cause a lot of pain and suffering, for both sides, on "Quigley Down Under".

I can't hardly believe you don't like Spam.............deer camp T-bone.
Curtis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, you got me Curtis. I love Spam! Nissan noodles too if it's wet and cold. Pry up foil, fill with rainwater, replace foil, carry around in pocket for an hour on top of a JONI heater-- delicious!

I'd bet Pipes is spot on about how many barrels (and shells) fit with a poor man's budget.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I beg to differ- John M. Browning designed the first "cornsheller" the Model 1893-for black powder, lo-pressure loads. Some evn had Damascus (aka- "frag-grenade") barrels. He later revised that to the Model 1897-for the newer (circa 1894) smokeless powder loads. Winchester produced it until in 1957 in both 12 and 16 gauges.

Winchester and John M. "split the blanket" in 1903 re: the Browning A-5- aka- "the square-back" and as Thomas Crossley Johnson helped John draw up the final designs and patents, when Winchester refused to give John a royalty on each A-5 they sold (Major League FUBAR, with 20/20 hindsight) John went to rival Remington-UMC- bad luck, Marcellus Hartley Dodge- the UMC "Head Fred" croaked in a BOD meeting whilst John M. Browning was waiting for an audience- so John "trucked over the pond" to the Belgies, and the FN lads worked him a sweet deal.

When WRA had Tommy Johnson work on a competing semi-auto- the abortion called the Model 11- aka- "The Widow Maker" he had a Hell of a time avoiding patent right lawsuits from old John M. browning. Tommy Johnson started on the design on the great Model 1912 in 1907- by 1910 they had a proto-type, a 20 bore 2 and 1/2" chambers- and after testing the living piss out of it, brought it out in 1912- rather than re-tool the Model 1897 for the smaller 20 gauge.

In late 1913-early 1914 they offered the Model 1912 in 16 gauge, on the 20 gauge receiver- with 2 and 9/16" chambers, and the 12 gauge with 2 and 3/4" chambers- all with Nickel Steel barrels. The Model 1912- later known as the Model 12 after aprox. 1919- does have the interrupted thread take-dwon and magazine tube lock feature from Browning's Model 1897- but that is ALL.

The Model 12 was and still is (I own 7-all pre-WW11 except for one)"The Perfect Repeater" . Read Dave Petzal's great article on the Model 12 in the May 1985 issue of Sporting Classics. He refers to the clays shooting for which the Model 12 set so many endurance records-beyond belief.

No repeater is as durable as an unaltered Model 12- despite the late great Rudy Etchen and his 1950 era Rem 870 12 gauge 12 grade.. IMO of course. And I deleted the rest of my posts due to the M12 being "Off Topic" on a Ithaca NID post.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/09/08 09:22 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, is a single shot a souless "killing machine" jOey? Funny, but that picture you put of yourself with a turkey and a double sure looked like you killed him with your "killing machine" double. I'm pretty sure you didn't run that turkey down, anyway.
You don't strike me as a sprinter.

Talk like that reminds me about the dweebs Bodio and Kerasote wrote about who somehow think they are on morally higher ground because they crush plant fiber with their molars instead of ripping animal tissue with their incisors, ignoring the fact they have both kinds of teeth in their mouth. But, never mind jOe-likely, teeth are but a distant memory from your childhood.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Corn-holer - I never thought I would see that term on a gun board, well other than the SSMBS - that place is run by them

And right off the bat I can think of 5 Pumps more durable than a Model 12 Winchester (OK Don you can jump right in here )

Last edited by postoak; 12/04/08 08:57 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.