March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I've acquired what I believe is a WW2 "bring-back" combination gun.

The gun is in NRA fair condition, with about half the bluing left.
It is a petite receiver, about the same size and configuration as a small frame Parker.
The frame is stamped "Hubertus", and the surface is covered by about 60-70% scroll engraving. The engraving extends over the chambers of both barrels.

The barrels are marked Krupp Stahl (steel), the left barrel is marked 16/1 (2.5 inch 16 ga. chambers)with "Nitro" stamped on it, and the right barrel is marked 8,7mm, and accepts a 9.3X72R cartridge perfectly.
The rifle barrel is stamped Crown over G about 2,5 inches in front of the chamber.

There are cocking indicators for both chambers.
Top lever, push with left thumb to the right.
Set trigger for right barrel.

I have found lots of info on the Meffert drillings (I have one), but nothing about the combination guns.

I am familiar with the meanings of the various stampings and lettering on the gun, thanks to other firearm forums.

It is at the gunsmiths being restored by someone with experience with German combo guns.

Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Garrett

Last edited by NGarrett; 11/22/08 06:06 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I should add, internal hammers (i.e. No exposed hammers).

Garrett

Sidelock
Sidelock

St. Hubertus is the Patron Saint of the Hunter. The jist of the story is he was hunting instead of honoring Good Friday as his devout wife asked him to. Stories have him with a bow or a crossbow and when he was about to let loose the arrow, a cross appeared between the deer's antlers. And then God spoke to Hubert.

Hubertus was a trade name/trademark of the Immann Meffert. I can't say that it was filed for like Sauer's "caveman". Immanuel Meffert began in 1839 in Suhl and his sons Justin & Richard followed by Justin's sons Bruno & Gerhard in 1934. Meffert made drillings, and dural drillings, side by sides, O/Us, Vierlings, air rifles and many more as between the Wars production topped 1000 hunting guns per year. They focused on practical quality and not on embellishment so an engraved one won't be found all the time. GGCA( http://www.germanguns.com ) may have a reprint Meffert catalgoue. There's a couple Meffert articles in the GGCA Winter 2002 Journal, I believe.

Where are the cocking indicators? Meffert had some unique actions like the Treff and unique safety devices. Meffert was noted for having lightweight longarms. From the marks you describe such as the "Nitro", vulgar fractions and being void of a date stamp, yours was made during the 1912-WWI period.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 11/22/08 07:06 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Raimey,

Appreciate the info.

I am familiar with St. Hubertus a bit from German friends.

Was told that the "Hubertus" line in the Meffert inventory was their better line of firearms.

The cocking indicators are on the top of the receiver, just in front of (and on either side) of the lever. They are simple "buttons" that sit maybe 2mm above the receiver metal when cocked (flush otherwise). There is very well done stippling in that area.

Garrett

Sidelock
Sidelock

Garrett:

I couldn't say it was just for their top of the line as they were more into unadorned, quantity of quality longarms, but it could have been. Like all other makers, the customer could order just about anything he desired. Albrecht Kind was associated with Meffert somehow and used the Hubertus name. Kriegoff also uses the name for some of their models. What do you utilize to breech the combo? I assume it has a Greener safety? The stippling sounds the same as what one would see on the shotgun doubles. They were one of the few smaller firms that made most, if not all, of their parts in house and weren't totally dependent on the cottage industry. Oblige me with a pic if you don't mind.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Raimey,

I will get you a picture, but it will be a week or so.

The gunsmith who has it took it from me unexpectedly.
I had brought the gun over to his house to get some information from him about it. He took it from me and said "I should have this back to you in a year", and said he was going to restore it.

That's why I don't have any pictures on hand. I had just purchased it a few days earlier from a newspaper ad about a "German shotgun" called a "Hubertus".

Garrett

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.