May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (FelixD, CJF, 4 invisible), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,775
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

My home page since the day I found Gunshop. Before that, I hung out at Shotgun Sports Skeet forum until the alpha dog "experts" made it intolerable. Lots of good moments: mischief month with John Mann; "lessons" with Don Amos, Dave Noreen, Bill Murphy; seat-of-the-pants advice from Jim Legg; one long, incredible headache trying to follow the fact-finding/myth-busting of Miller Fulks; help from Chuck Heald and a nameless host when I wanted to "cook" the right sear in my AyA; the wood-finishing arcana of the British "invasion"; conversations with JC and tw on the back channel; meeting Owleye and realizing what a job it was to send me off-color jokes by private e (Wonder how many of you laughed over "Ed Jackery disease" and woke up to find Bill in the hospital?). And some embarassing moments, awkward moments, argie-bargie, mistakes of expression and comprehension on my part which I regret. Like a "century" ride by bicycle, exhausting, sometimes painful and humbling, and worth the effort. A good ride. May it continue.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan- The Mike I was refering to is the same as you were refering to. Marksman was his handle then but now he's Utah Shotgunner. Your tag line was something about 100 bale/acre cotton. Seemed like a lot of cotton to me...

Amigo Will- What part of Alaska are you going home to? I hope you'll find the peace you've long sought and I pray for you.

JayCee- I wish someone had kept a copy of the saga of Tolly the Shepard and his wife, Elspith. John Mann is one of the finest to ever post here or anywhere else and that was his finest work. To quote Montana, "Bravo!"

Pete- You need to (alright, I need you to) run another stock blank give away. I'm pretty sure the last one was rigged and I'm bitter. After Christmas I'll be sending for a blank for a Nitro Special. Do you still paint the address on the blank and drop it in the mail or was that just a dirty trick you pulled on 8 Bore? He had it comming for going to the wrong high school.

There are so many memories of so many fine people on this board. I've actualy met only one other member and he was inactive when I met him, Jerry Van Horne, but if I go back to Pa. to return an old Stevens I plan to look up Marksman.

Cary

Sidelock
Sidelock

Half the posters, I use to like the best, have moved on. Some to the gun room in the sky, a few off line, I hope. This site has saved me thousands of dollars, the shared knowledge preventing me from making even worse mistakes in gun purchases. On the other side it has cost me about the same amount of money by showing me more and more guns that I just seemed to have to have when a good one came along.

When I die, my wife will have one heck of a sale and you are all invited to see and buy what you want. No perfect guns here, just well cared for guns that will need another home where they can be used and enjoyed. A complete inventory is left for her that includes all the values and best ways to liquidate my accumulation. Thanks for the ride.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cary I will start out in the Wrangell and Prince of Wales island area.Once again its the bears and I belive a top record book blacky can be had on POW.I watch hundreds and shoot very few,mostly when meat is needed.The lower 49 has proved to much for me and its time to sit back leaning against a few hundred year old spruce over looking good ground and take a nap.

Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Instead of email photos, I used to send video tapes of stock blanks I had for sale. I sent these in brown paper wrappers and found out I had caused some grief for some who received them. "Not more of THOSE tapes!" "Naw honey, these are tapes of pretty wood!" Wonder if she ever believed THAT!

Instead of putting on an external paper cover that could come off, I put the addy right on the wood itself until I found out that UPS charged me an extra $5 without a cover. Now I send them covered but with the addy still on the stock in case the cover comes off.

As for Charles Hill (he still hates Chas, Chuck, Charlie, and Chuckipoo) alias Wonko the Sane, he is still seen at the Reno show walking around. He still looks older than hell and has long hair in Frisco bag lady style, but is still upright. He used to be a troll of the top magnitude and was an effective flamer until he flamed Bill Wise then found out about Bill's paraplegic condition and Chas really felt bad about what he had said. It really changed his demeanor and he became a welcome addition to our family. "Wonko's Brew" is still used by many to remove old finish.

This is simply THEE site for gaining knowledge on doubles. If you stick around a few years, the knowledge gained will dwarf 99% of people at gun shows. My great thanks to all who have helped my education over these many years. I have really enjoyed meeting many of you at the gun shows and my home, and the best of the season to you all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe you guys are getting all emotional and remeniscing about a dadgum internet chat room. I've been around long enough to remember all the references you're making, but I've got suits (well, ties anyway) that I've had longer than there has been an internet.

When I think about it though, I have spent a lot of quality time keeping up with all of you, and I've learned more about doubleguns here than from all I have read anywhere else. Despite the recent unpleasantness over the elections, this group has mostly been civil and always knowledgeable and helpful...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't get a home computer until Christmastime 1998, so I guess that makes me a latecomer. I see the lowest number where I saved my "canned response" was #5303.

Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Remember the guy who found the matched pair of Boss's in the false section of the dresser he bought?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cary, just because I didn't mention it does not make it less important,but ALL I know about doubles comes from this board's generous participants.

All the guns I have I got mainly out of intuition, but you have consolidated my possessions.

I have been lucky to meet a fellow poster in the flesh, and the things we had in common were, to say the least, uncanny. I could still be sitting with him in an endless conversation.

I dearly regret not being able to share a few moments with Owleye, but...

I have come to realize that I may be becoming an almost sentimental old fool. The almost is in reference to the "old" part.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, I remember those Bosses well. In fact I was the one who initially raised the red flag on that. Of course, that was only the luck of timing as someone wiser that me would have nailed it. That was early in my tenure here but I can't for the life of me pin a date on it. Lee

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.