Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just thought I'd start a reminiscing topic. After the new style here, the old post numbers were lost. I first showed up at about post #500 and saw Russ deploring the BU nature of NIDs arguing with Ithica afficianadoes. I knew I would like that guy. I remember him saying he showed up at about post #200. Bill Wise was there adding wise information. It wasn't long before Charles7, alias Wonko the Sane and earlier nom d'plumes was posting. Some of our current researchers were there and we have lost some over the years. I hope they are doing well.

I remember a wild man from Texas who dearly loved his Mod 31 Remingtons and was in heaven when he finally found an engraved one. He got into a problem when he used a match to check the level in a whiskey barrel, but was healing up when he suddenly posted no more. Hope he was buried with his engraved 31.

The board was more fun then as the threads showed the topics in them and the subject matter sometimes changed to more interesting topics. I forget the number of topics when the board changed, but I think it was maybe 25,000.

Feel free to add old stories of those days and early posts and friends no longer seen.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too miss the 'old days'. We didn't always agree but we didn't attack each other/ There was respect and civility.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete: I came along quite a bit after you- seems like around post number 5,000. I had moved within the last two years from Alaska to Idaho to Tennessee and finally to Georgia and had never seen the Internet. Wife got a computer for work and I remember sitting there looking at it wondering what it did. Typed in Gun Shop and guess where I wound up?

I thought I was the only person in the world who still liked doubles and was sure I was the only person who liked LeFevers. Low and behold, I stumbled into a nest of Ithaca and LeFever folks and haven't left yet.

You're right, it was wild and crazy- you and Ruppel standing back to back taking on all commers (sp) about Ithacas, Oscar and Bill Wise diving into the frey with calm logical advice. Some guys named FH and Daley going at it like Jews and Nazis while you stood back throwing bombs. Meeker was taking on the trolls, Rocketman was burning out into the atmosphere and a Lady (capital L intentional) named Montana showed more knowledge and grace than 50% of the board combined.

Remember the guy from Chile? Intelligent and a great sense of humor. Really liked him. In fact, still do. Remember a beginning shotgunner from Utah, always asking for advice about W.C. Scott guns? I think he died and went to Pa. So many woderfull people.

Most of all, I remember when folks had problems and came to the board, not for advice but to share with friends. Seems Mike's baby girl should be alright but I wore out a pair of Levis praying for her. So many others suffered tremendous losses and the entire board grieved with them.

Good times they were. And we managed not to discuss politics.

Thanks for the memories old friend. Keep the coyote population down.

Cary

Last edited by Cary; 11/15/08 08:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how I ever found this place. I guess I just wandered in aimlessly. I was afraid to give my real name because people always told me to watch out who you talked to on the internet. I remember watching Charles Manson's parole hearing and he said how much fun he had talking on the internet, so I used the name Don Nolan back then. There were far less people back then and I remember going around and everyone told their names, how old they were and when their birthdays were. I still remember some of your ages or about- Jim Legg should be about 73 March 6th. Chuck H about 48. Chief Shotguns about 68. Don Moody about 63. Oscar would have been about 75. Pinduck should be about 74. John Mann 69. Erik Koik (haven't heard from him in a while) would be about 51 or 52. Wayne Nish would be about 55 or 56. Geno's about 48. I can't remember how old you are Pete. I still have the 20 gauge Superposed you told me to buy. Sweet gun. I can't remember how old Russ would have been. Well into his 70s. But it has been fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You got me right. Wonder why you remember peoples' ages?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember well when Wayne Nish frequented the board, and received his matched pair of bespoke guns.

Cary, that was Mike in Utah. He found a 10 ga. L. C. Smith in a gun shop out there near him and posted about it. I contacted him, he went back and examined it closer, and upon his word of recommendation I bought it. Still have it. He called me one day about a W & C Scott my cousin had for sale. I was on a "Hi-boy" spraying in the middle of a cotton field when he called my cell. We talked for awhile right there concerning it.

A gentleman from, I believe, Minnesota p.m.ed me one day after reading my post questioning the performance of the old original Super-X Luballoy shot loads in the Super Foxes. I had just gotten my HE Fox. He graciously offered to send me an entire box of the old original shells at no cost, and did so. He posted under the name Cheryl Olsen. What a gracious gentleman. He would not accept a dime even for postage. Said I sounded like someone that would appreciate them. He'll never know how much.

So many friends on here I've never met eye to eye, but hope to someday. I hope to meet smallbore next month at the auction at Charlton Hall in Columbia, S. C. I hope some others on here will be in attendance, too.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just a "newbie" compared to most. I remember stumbling on here because sxs are what I like the most, I have a few o/u, but prefer sxs and especially "elsies". In the very begining I had a problem with putting an "elsie" back together and Russ helped me through the whole process even though he had just explained it a short time before. He took the time and did it.
I always liked the posts from Oscar, I would go back into the past pages and read them.

There is so much information and wisdom on here that books could be written about it.
I have posted and asked for help on a few things, and everyone was gracious to help with what they knew.
I've read posts here about bluing and even taking dents out, and now I feel comfortable in doing both the bluing and etching, and have taken some dents out.

This is a great place and I agree that politics and name calling don't belong here.
I hope this site can stay the way it is and the only thing that can make it go wrong is us.

Last edited by JDW; 11/14/08 05:42 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a relative newcomer to this board but I've been buying and using all types of firearms including shotguns for over 50 years.
I am hoping to live long enough to see the day when it won't be necessary to take politics into consideration in regards to our hobby. If there had been a type of Internet back in the 1950s these discussions wouldn't have been necessary as basically everyone believed the right to keep and bear arms was an individul constitutional right.
Unfortunately those of certain political pursuasions who would like to take this right away as has been done elsewhere remain as active as ever. We can either fight to keep this right or ignore the very active effort to eliminate it. I chose to fight so my grandchildren will be able to enjoy the same freedoms we have today.
That Politics is now an intergal part of this hobby is unfortunate but hoping the real threats we face will just go away is dreaming.
I agree that name calling is NOT something that should be tolerated here. However if someone posts something related to firearms and politics and it's wrong or misleading the record has to be set straight.
There are threads on here that don't interest me so I just skip them and there's no reason any of you can't do the same when it's of a political nature.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 11/14/08 06:29 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I miss those times many moons ago when Ole' Cowboy and I were on the "same page". It seems like yesterday yet it was so long ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I started here fall of 95 or spring 96 don't remember now.I remember when this new style forum started most thought Lowell was the old FH.Guess Ol Lighting is gone for good but nice to see Wanko pop his head in once in a while. I remember we got a couple of Mikes that had babies close together and they should be around eight or nine now.On the old forum you could just pickout the responces you wanted to look at.I remember John Mann getting his first and second Lindner Daly. Mr. Wise informed us of the correct spelling of Lindner not Linder.Most all the Texas folks are gone including Greg Tag head of the EIEIO.Big news is I'm heading back to Alaska and probably won't have electricy let alone internet but I will have snow capped mountain year round and bears eating out of my bird feeders. I have noticed not as many complain about my poor spelling now days, not that speeling has to do anything with guns.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.